2 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:56 PM

The following question comes from 2 days of fabricating to make a 42 inch snowblower for a 1200/1600 fit on the 1855. I did make the lift arm, and built removeable adapter for the rockshaft and it lifts easy and smooth.

I am going to use a longer belt from the electric clutch to drive the snow blower.

So here is the question.
The pulley on the 1600 I have ( Kohler engine) turns very easily when the engine is off or the clutch is not energized.
On the Onan with the engine off and the clutch switch in the off position the pulley is stiff to turn. IT will turn but not like the Kohler arangement where it will spin several turns befopre the normal friction stops it. The clutch does engage.

So is the ONAN different, or does it need adjustment, or is it as simple as applying some grease along the crankshaft? If it needs adjustment can someone share the secret to adjusting it? As the 1655/1855 manual is not very descriptive on adjusting it.

Last question on this clutch, the current pulley has 4 tapped holes in it. May I add a second sheave and if so does anyone have an extra pulley that I can add? Mine is 7 inches in diameter and it has a width on 5/8 inches for a B belt.

Again thanks for all the advice so far.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Does this pto clutch have the brake system on it? Sounds like the one on your 1600 does not have it. The brake is a plate that has sprigs behind it, with nuts to adjust it. It does 2 things.... 1: sets the air gap between friction plates 2: when clutch is turned off, the friction disc behind the pulley rebounds & rubs the brake plate to help slow things down. This brake plate will make it more difficult to turn. If it's not the brake plate, then it will be the idler bearing inside the pulley side of the clutch binding & will need to be replaced.

#3 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:33 PM

yep those mounting studs coming out of the bock have springs

Now is it safe to add a second sheave, or is ther such a thing as a double sheaved pulley for the clutch