• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MaintenanceMan OFFLINE  

MaintenanceMan

• Member No: 303
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 22, 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi everyone my name is Scott and I am new to your forum. I am not totally new to garden tractors however. I have a modified sears craftsman my dad made for me when I was little and I have 2 more riders at my cottage for the lawn. Anyways I am looking for a garden tractor for me to use at work. I will not be doing much more than towing a seeder/aerator or utility cart. I don't have a lot of money or time right now but wouldn't mind something that needs a little tlc. So after searching my local craigslist ads this is what I found.
MASSEY FERGUSON 12 variable Speed garden tractor

I am hopefully going to look at it on Monday. He originally wanted $200 and it DOES NOT run and he only has tire chains with it. I think he is down to around $160 right now and I'm hoping I can get him to go lower.

Any input on the tractor, price, condition, amount of tlc needed or anything like that is greatly appreciated.

P.S I am relatively mechanically inclined and have basically any necessary tool at my disposal (my dad was a mechanic). I just don't have a ton of funding.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 04:36 AM

:welcometogttalk:Scott, glad to have you here.

#3 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 23, 2010 - 07:27 AM

Scott :welcometogttalk: I 'm sure some massey guy will pop in and help you enjoy the forum see ya later

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 07:29 AM

Scott you can't go wrong with the old Masseys. It would be nice if the one you are looking at ran so you could test the tranny and everything else on the driveline. With the motor not having compression it could be any number of things. The one big thing is to make sure the piston moves when the motor is turned over. If the piston moves then it may just be carbon buildup and from sitting for so long that one of the valves are stuck open, it could also be the compression relief causing the guy to think it doesn't have compression. If the piston doesn't move when turning it over then you may be looking at a rebuild.

I think you could get it for $100 and it would definitely be worth it. There are quite a few of us on here that have Masseys including me.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 07:30 AM

Oh almost forgot, :welcometogttalk:

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 07:51 AM

First off Scott :welcome:to the forum. I think you will find this a friendly, helpfull place.
As has been said without the engine running it is going to be hard to test the rest of the tractor. The peerless tranny in these tractors is a very tough unit so odds are it is probably in working condition. As to the engine it may be salvagable but you can not count on it. As long as you are looking for just a working tractor, other engines can be used depending on how creative you can be rigging things up. When I was first building my Massey narrow front I used an 8 horse power briggs engine in it untill I found another original engine to use.
I would think to offer him $100.00 for it as it sits wouldn't be out of line. It would make a good heavy duty tractor to work with.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 09:16 AM

Welcome Scott! As to the MF12....I think it's worth the asking price even with engine in question. Looks to be complete, even nose piece on hood. I've seen those go for $100 used on ebay by themselves. That said, try lower offer, but be ready to GO GET IT before someone beats you there.

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 10:05 AM

its worth 160 but 100 is even better. strong old horse. valve or rings might be stuck or like he said compression release will fool you. take off the carb and spray some starting fluid in there. make sure the it has spark too. decks are pretty easy to find and so are the blowers. good luck

#9 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 23, 2010 - 08:14 PM

The MF-12 should more than meet your needs. I agree that the transmission is probably fine, I've purchased a few 10's, 12's and 1010's over the years and the only issue I ever had was leaky axle seals. These were still available from Agco last time I needed them. Parts for the HH-120 engine are a litte harder to come by, but you could repower as a last resort. If you decide to buy it, you'll find that a copy of the operators manual will come in handy if you need to replace/adjust the variable speed belts. Good Luck.

#10 MaintenanceMan OFFLINE  

MaintenanceMan

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 06:04 AM

Ok guys, with any luck she'll be mine tonight! I called the guy and got first dibs so I am headed there when I get off work. I will try to get some pictures up if I get it.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 06:09 AM

That's great, can't wait to hear the outcome and pics if you get it :D

#12 MaintenanceMan OFFLINE  

MaintenanceMan

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 12:59 PM

MF12G2..jpg
Ok this is her. She is not technically mine yet but it is so close I can almost smell the must and varnished gas...lol. Just spoke to the guy and he said he just got an offer for $140 and that is what he is going to want for it but I still have first dibs. I would like to have given $100 since I think the only thing I'm getting with it is a set of tire chains but I guess the tractor is worth it. Hopefully with a little elbow grease I can have it running in no time. I will try to get more pictures when the transaction is complete! Probably going to have more questions.

Thanks again for all the help,

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12G1..jpg
  • MF12G4..jpg
  • MF12G3..jpg

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 01:05 PM

It looks in pretty good condition.

#14 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 02:27 PM

dont feel bad if you have to pay 160. its not like you find those tractors like a john deere or a cub cadet

#15 jmoar OFFLINE  

jmoar

• Member No: 443
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Wow, thats a pretty good deal, the body parts on them alone are hard to come by in my area!