#1 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:14 PM

As we all remember the horror of the attacks on our country; I have felt the wrath of a young life cut short today. As a lot of the members here know i am a very active volunteer fireman. The son of my fire chief took his life today at 23 years of age. I have know this fella from his early childhood,he was a member of the dept. that I could always rely on. His hard working attitude was greatly appreciated when on a call or at a company fundraiser. We worked side by side helping with his fathers farm. I was mowing the lawn when the pager went off , informing me of the age and type of injury, incident location ETC. I knew where I was going, but the radio said firefighter on scene stating possible case-9. It is a sad sad day, volunteering is a part of my life,which has both great and also sometimes pain full consequences. We as a fire company will work through this and keep fighting to save lives. To any of the members of this fine forum,if you ever are to the point of not wanting to continue your life, It is not the answer, talking to someone else can make a difference. Life is to short as it is to take matters in to your own hands. If any one ever needs someone to talk to about such a matter I will make time. Please keep my fire dept. members and families in your prayers. Shawn

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Shawn, You and your team are in our PRAYERS. I am sorry for Y'all's loss today.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:21 PM

That sucks Shawn. I too make time for anyone that needs someone to talk to, even if it means I don't get what I wanted to do done that day. I always have a tomorrow, but someone on the edge, may not. My best wishes to all today.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:23 PM

That is very sad, and I was close at one time of ending my life after divorce & seeing my children leave our home. I was 30yrs old. Looking at pics of my kids got me through, as they needed their Dad. I have talked to others since to help them through such times. Talking &/or listening is life-saving, whether it's you or someone else needing the help.
You, your fellow firefighters, & his family have my thoughts & prayers. And thank you for being a community volunteer!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Shawn, I am very sorry for your community's loss. Prayers to your FD, Chief & his family.

#6 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:55 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. I know the feeling, sort of. I've had friends close to doing it, where they called me and said "your going to listen to me die, tell my family when it's done". I had there parents on the other side of their door while I talked them out of it, it was very scary. One of them ended up in a treatment facility, the other managed to avoid the treatment place. Both situations occurred during the school week and were well over 6 hours long. Thankfully I had unlimited minutes on my phone and can manage lack of sleep well. I would do it over and over again, not that I want to but I'm willing to if it comes to it.

I too have been on the edge, I was almost admitted to a treatment center. I felt my self getting closer, thinking if life ended I wouldn't care. I talked to a friend and went and seen his doctor 3 days after that, he was ready to put me in when I decided one more try, I opened up and every one told me to get out of m grandmothers. I'm fine so far, feel much happier not living with my bi-polar grandmother.

you guys are in my prayers.

Edited by BillTheTractorMan, September 11, 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:56 PM

So Sorry after 20 plus years doing the same I can't even thing of how hard that would be.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:13 PM

I have no words that can soothe your pain Shawn except to say that I am very sorry for the loss of your dear friend! You will be in my thoughts and prayers as will the Chief and his family.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:20 PM

I'm sad to hear of your loss, and that of the young man's family, and the fire department. You are and will be in my prayers.

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 11:41 PM

Shawn, our prayers are with the young man's family. I personally know how hard this will be for them as my father-in-law was living with us when he took his own life in Jan. 1997. He had stage 4 colon cancer along with being on oxygen 24/7 because of emphysema and had 9 months earlier seen his son go through cancer treatment only to die a painful death. We heard the shot but didn't realize what it was until I went upstairs to get him for breakfast. The sad thing is that we never realized he would do something like that. My wife still has a hard time going into that bedroom. Life can be cruel but taking your own life is never the answer. God will pull them through this. Thank you for volunteering for your community.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 03:50 AM

Shawn, sorry to hear of this. All of you will be in thoughts and prayers.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:17 AM

Shawn,sorry to hear that. That's very sad news.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:29 AM

Sorry Shawn , I just can't even think of how I would feel to have someone take their life and at such a young age , Al

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Shawn, I too am a member of a Fire Department, so I know how close the Brotherhood family is, and how hard it is to lose a fellow commerade. You have my sympathy and deepest thoughts, and I'll lift you and your Company up in prayers.

Troy

#15 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Shawn, I missed this thread until this morning. I am sorry to learn of this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers for you and the Chief and his family.