16 replies to this topic

#1 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Just finished the last batch of summer rambo applesauce last night ,and were going to start pears today. Maybe by tuesday i might try and do a batch of pear butter
fall is the best time of the year!

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I wish I lived closer, I'd have to invite myself over for some tasting! Sounds REAL GOOD!!!!

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:02 PM

I wish I lived closer, I'd have to invite myself over for some tasting! Sounds REAL GOOD!!!!

Me too and THAT SOUNDS GOOD.

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:32 PM

Glad to hear that the canning is going well. I know firsthand that you make some very tasty homemade goodies.

#5 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:47 PM

Stop in at steamorama , we'll sit and eat pear butter on sweet corn bread muffins- ok now i'm making myself hungry

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 12:55 PM

Okay I have to ask, just what is Rambo Apple Sauce? My first thought is "First Blood" and that's just not right!
Canning has been going on all summer at our house, but that's above my pay grade. The Wife does it all.

My mouth is watering just thinking about a sampling party.

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Stop in at steamorama , we'll sit and eat pear butter on sweet corn bread muffins- ok now i'm making myself hungry

The wife and I were at the York Fair today and bought a ticket for the tractor raffle,to be held at steamorama. I had to push my wife around the fairgrounds in her wheelchair because her broken ankle is still healing from the second operation. She may not make it to the show but I will be there. And yes you are making me hungry! You make some delicious homemade treats.

Here is the link to the show:http://www.steamoramapa.com/ Hope to see some members there.

Edited by grand, September 13, 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#8 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Okay I have to ask, just what is Rambo Apple Sauce? My first thought is "First Blood" and that's just not right!
Canning has been going on all summer at our house, but that's above my pay grade. The Wife does it all.

My mouth is watering just thinking about a sampling party.

I tried to post some better info but did something wrong. The Rambo is a variety of apple. I'm sure that Dan made his applesauce from this kind of apple. Hopefully he will give you a better answer.

#9 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yes, summer rambo is a variety. You can make sauce out of any apple , but lodi, transparant, and rambo s give a little tartness, which is great over cake or i like it with a baked potato.
The different varieties come in at different times, and just like peaches we try to can acouple of jars of each for some variety
it's great at the end of the season to see the shelves in the ground cellar full !

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:12 PM

OK, That is a variety I'm not familiar with. When I was buying fruit trees this spring I never ran across that one. I" ll look next spring.
I know the wife wanted a good cooking apple.
I planted 5 this spring. 1 jonathan, 1 jomagold, 1 (I dont remember the name) 1 delicious, & 1 Wolf River. When I went back for a Granny smith they were sold out.
I also planted 3 peach and one self pollinating pear.

I hope to plant a few more next spring, I would not mind having about 25 fruit trees over the next few years.

#11 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thats great, what kind of peach trees did you plant?

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 09:44 PM

I really don't remember. the tags are still on the trees,I'll go out tomorrow after work and see. I do remember there were two of one variety and toe of another.
The Peaches are kind of a long shot, they are so early blooming there is a chance of bloom frostbite. I'm in Zone 5
I did plant them on an east facing slope near the top of the hill , hoping being on higher ground will reduce chance of frost.
I also planted 3 high bush Blueberry qand 3 Mancurian Apricot. Black berries, Black Rasberries, 4 varieties of Red Rasberries and Strawberries.

#13 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:15 PM

Here in central pa. Is as far north that you can grow peaches, and apricots are a long shot . Frost usually gets the blossoms
the best free stone peaches in this area are sun hi and loring

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well I can kind of tell you, Two are Belle of Georgia Peach. The label has blow off thother anf I don't know. The Apple I could not rember is aa Beacon.
Yes Apricots are a long shot. That's why I chose The Manchurian Bush Apricot. Manchuria has an extremely harsh winter so I hope they will work.
I planted them on a slope facing North in hopes the ground will not warm up enough for them to bloom till late enough they are not at risk of Frost.
I know of a guy who lives just south of Niagra Falls Ny that says they do fine in their climate.

#15 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Now the strawberries I will stay with anyone but them fruit trees and me just dont do right. But Bald Knob Arkansas was the berry Captial of the word until Cal. took over. And I was raised in berry patch, Then worked At the Auction shed as Auctioneer for a number years. My how times change there is less tha 5 acers in the county today.