#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:21 PM

[attachment=17095:17108.attach]I bought this Allis Chalmers B-112 a couple of years ago, and never really did anything to it, other than bringing it home, and parking it in the shed. Well, a guy at work is interested in buying it, so I thought I'll get it down off the shelf and clean it up a bit before I deliver it to him. As you can see in some of the pictures, the paint was really oxidated. I rubbed a coat of Rubbing Compound over it first, and then a coat of Polishing Compound. Wow, what a difference. I didn't think this tractor would clean up so well. Even the Chrome. It has started to show surface rust residue, and after applying a light coat of Polishing Compound, it started to shine again. I planning on doing the whole tractor, but I'm kind of regretting selling it now that I see how nice it's turning out. Not bad for an original 1968 B-112 that sat outside most of it's life before I got it!

Edited by johndeereelfman, September 10, 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thats cleaning up very nicely. What did you use to clean the paint with. I use WD-40, it cuts through the dirt and grime very well. Then I use some car wax.

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Does the wax take after using the WD-40? I didn't think the Rubbing/Polishing Compound would even touch it, so you can imagine my surprise. I'm very happy as to how well it's starting to polish up. I can see my reflection after the coat of Polishing Compound, so I can just imagine how nice the tractor will shine after I apply (3) coats of Maguires Deep Shine Car Wax.

The Polishing Compound on the Chrome was just a whim. I figured what the heck, it can't get any worse then it looks now. Who knew it would actually work? I bought a can of Never Dull, but it just wasn't touch it like the Polishing Compound. I stumbled on something new!

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Lookin good. Those old paints sure where durable.

In my business, we do a lot of boat cleaning/detailing.
What we do is first, wash it good with soap. Get the crap off. Degrease if nesc. Soap wash again. Many degreasers leave a film behind.
Then compound to remove oxidization. Then polish with something like Meguires Polish. Then wax.
Products like WD40 are good cleaners, but are petroleum based, and the shine will fade off in short time if exposed to moisture. And waxes won't
dry properly ontop of petro based cleaners. Then your faced with wax swirls.