coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:19 PM

I belleve this plow started life as a Brinly sleave hitch. When I got it, package deal, it had been modded to fit a Sears 3PTH. It worked good on the Suburban that I had along with all the other implements that came in the package. When I upgraded to a Snapper 1855, none of the implements would work with the standard Cat 0 lift arms. The spacing of the arms was just too wide. So I made my own lower lift arms that would work with the Sears stuff. With this particular plow the cross bar had to be moved so that the top link would fit and work correctly, well as correctly as a cobbled together mess could. After the first use behind the 1855 I had to reinforce the top "sail" becuse it kept bending with all the stress from the top link. Another problem was that it did not track directly behind the rear tire, it was a little towards the center of the tractor. This left hills and furrows instead of nice filled in furrows. I could live with it and it did a great job. Then I started to get somemore tractors, a snapper 1650 and a WH d160. The Snapper has a 3PTH Cat 0 and the D160 is supposed to have one too. So I decided to start modding the Sears stuff over to CAT 0.
I have started with the cobbled together Turning plow. I looked around at several differnt styles to copy and decided I like the "adjustable toolbar" design the best. The center is 1.5 inch square tubing. The uprights are 3/8 X 1.5 flat bar. The bends were done with a torch, clamps, spacers, and an angle gauge. The plates are 4X4X0.5 plate steel. The welding was done witha cheap 110V Sears stick welder and 6011 rods. As long as you dont get too close everything looks decent :D. I can wait to try it out.

Before and Afters.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2529.jpg
  • DSCF2528.jpg
  • DSCF2531.jpg
  • DSCF2530.jpg
  • DSCF2547.jpg
  • DSCF2546.jpg
  • DSCF2550.jpg
  • DSCF2549.jpg
  • DSCF2548.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Coldone, Nice job on the conversion, looks like it should work well. Question, did your wife know she would be on GT talk tonight?

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Looks like it should work, once you move it over behind the right tire. LOL Nice job, bet that won't bend easily.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:10 AM

Nice job. You gave that plow a new lease on life. The toolbar turned out nice too.
On the other pieces, you may be able to make a tool bar to cat sub 0 adapt, and not have to mod the implements at all.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:22 AM

Nice job on the conversion,Coldone.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Question, did your wife know she would be on GT talk tonight?

She didnt have a clue and neither did I. I didnt even know she was in the pic until I posted it. I think I might have been fixating on something else :D. This is my first Fabrcation project and it actually looks like what its supposed to be.

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Your adapter does look pretty good but you'll want the right hand pin lower than the left so the plow sets more level when your tire is in the furrow. The plow should actually set inside the tire so that it rolls the dirt into the furrow the tire is riding in.
The Brinly PP-1200 three point hitch plow manual has the adjustment procedure spelled out real good.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you