#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 1,464 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Had a guy who works with my wife say he wanted someone to till his garden.She asked me first and I said sure give him our phone #.The guy calls me up and say's its 30x40 and a tiller would be fine as its a garden.Anyway we make arrangements for today,after lunch. I take the deck off put the tiller on this morning and load the tractor onto the trailer.I get to his place just before 1pm and no one's home.I wait around for 1/2 hr then figure what the heck I'll look around and see were the garden is.Its in the country so after looking around I couldn't find a garden.I was getting ready to leave when he comes into the yard saying that he almost forgot about me comming.So I says to him where's the garden he takes me over to this spot where the grass is two feet talk and full of weeds.I look at him and say when was the last time it was worked up.He then says about 5 yrs ago. Also the size is more like 200 x400. Guess what I did I just told him no way could I till that,he'll have to get it cut first and maybe hire someone with a big tractor to plough it first.So I left kinda upset about wasting my time and fuel.Larry

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 04:08 PM

Man, Thats just not right to try to get over on you like that. Sorry you got done that way Larry..
  • massey driver said thank you

#3 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 04:08 PM

yup! been there done that:mad2:
just don't let it jade you for the next person who comes along asking for help. use it as a learning tool, go and look before agreeing to do it.:blush2: some people need to be reminded that when asking a favour, they need to be more considerate of the person doing the favour. almost not remembering is very inconsiderate to begin with. and not even trying to be accurate on measurments is just getting plain rude.
i find it sort of funny though, when you decide not to accept the task, they get a little huffy. especially when they are somebody who knows how you work. i get it all the time. the "you wanna do it what way? i have to do whaaaaa? before you get going?"
family members know not to question how i do things (the right way, not the easy or fast way) i still have some friends that try to get the fast and easy way out of me, but i'm working on them.:D

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 04:11 PM

Man you sure lot better than me I'd made him pay for my time, Or kicked his -ss LOL

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Sorry about the troubles Larry! Rude people drive me crazy too!

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 29,092 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Working in retail kinda preps you for people being like that. Last Thursday a guy comes in and buys a scratch and dent washer. I had tested the thing so I knew it worked. An hour later he calls and says it's hooked up but making an awful noise. Had to mess with one of the techs schedule to go look at it. When he opened it up, he finds stuff knocked loose and the bottom pushed up into the pullies. Seems he couldn't get help to get it off the truck, so he let it down hard, then bounced it down the basement steps. Of course, it was our fault. Thank goodness we have the techs we do, he was able to fix it and leave. People still amaze me sometimes, but it happens less every year.

Sorry to hear of your situation, don't let one jerk mess up your weekend.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 11:07 PM

That's why I quit loaning my 18ft. lowboy trailer out. One guy used it as a saw horse to lay stuff on to paint and didn't bother to cover up the fenders. Another tore the jack off the tongue and yet another backed up over a fire and burned about 3 ft x 6ft of the boards off. People like that don't bother to buy their own and look at you funny when you say you can't help them.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:36 AM

Sorry to here about that ,Larry.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,426 Thanks
  • 41,029 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:57 AM

Usually, if I loan something, I go with it.

#10 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Simialar thing happend to me this spring except I did not know any better and started tilling it anyway. What a mess I had to stop every five feet it seemed and untangle weeds, my belt got smoked and the weeds held in the moisture as we had a wet spring here in Maine. I got stuck a few times and once i was on my knees reaching through the mud and crud trying to disconnect the tiller so I could pick up the back of the tractor. So I learning another way not to do things. Simialar as I got screwed, different because I screwed my self!

#11 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 814 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:18 AM

I do tilling on the side ....More often than not, I get people like that. They have no clue as to how hard it is on a tiller to bust up virgin ground. I always ask now a bunch of questions as to what I am tilling. It is one of the main reasons I ended up buying a plow for my other tractor....I take both with me.

I also get some people who want me to plow/till about 10 acres........I tell them 100x100 ft max

Posted Image

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,474 Thanks
  • 30,060 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:44 AM

As the old saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished"! Doing something like this as a favor, or in other words "for free" almost always comes with baggage. When you are charging for your services, then unless they are just totally ignorant, they try to have their "ducks in a row".

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:48 AM

yep, i tilled in one guy's garden once, the poor tiller spent 1 1/2 hr. bouncing off of rocks, i forgot the dirt shield and the tines picked up a rock and slamed it into fan shrowd denting it to the flywheel, this was a small garden, 20 x 16, i said never again, only gardens i know,

#14 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 814 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:53 AM

yep, i tilled in one guy's garden once, the poor tiller spent 1 1/2 hr. bouncing off of rocks, i forgot the dirt shield and the tines picked up a rock and slamed it into fan shrowd denting it to the flywheel, this was a small garden, 20 x 16, i said never again, only gardens i know,

Most times I will go over it with the plow first anyways....gives you a better idea whats in there

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:00 AM

was already plowed, that garden was full of surprises,