• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 04:54 AM

I am currently working on the snow blade for the Ford LGT 165. I am building the rotation handle mechanism. One thing I noticed was the blade didn't lift very far off the ground, only a couple inches. My question is: should the blade lift more like 4-5" from the ground? I can add some pieces between the blade and lift mechanism to get more lift and still have plenty to get 'below grade'.
I haven't had a tractor to push snow with before, so am very new to this. I am aware of the weights/chains issues. Just wondering about the blade height when raised all the way up. I may have to clear the street in front of the house and would like to push snow over a curb into the yard.

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Posted Image

Mine lifts just a few inches.......Thats the trouble with these, you cant pile snow very high with them. I guess if it was further out in front of the tractor it would lift higher. Mine fits into the 2 holes in the front of the frame....Some on other makes I have seen bolt on underneath,

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:01 AM

I can get a pretty good pile of snow built up with my Bolens.
Here's a pic to show how high the blade lifts up

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Poncho, your blade mounts different from mine, but that sounds like about the same amount of lift.
Brian, That's about how high I would like to get mine when raised. That would allow you to push into a pile a lot better. I can put more between the blade and the lift, Just haven't figured out what to use that will still let it attach easily.
Image002.jpg

The blade slides under the tractor when attaching, so I have to make something with a smooth transition. I'll play with this some more.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image011.jpg

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:12 AM

the plow for my murray only lifts about 4-5in.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:32 AM

That's looking pretty good Kenny. I think that the snow plow on my Wheel Horse only lifts about 3 to 4 inches too.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hey Kenny,that's looking good .

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi Kenny.Hi had a home made snowblade on a LGT 125 and I had set it up so that it would lift about 6".I wish I had pics too show but didn't think of taking any when I had it.First off I had made a front bumper that worked as the plow mount and bumper.I also had a cheap 1000 # winch that would mount onto the bumper as well.Everything could be installed in less than 5 minutes.Have you considered maybe using a small winch for your lift.BTW your blade looks good on there.Larry

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. MDLarry, it has hyd. lift, no need for a winch, but thanks. I may leave it alone, as it is about 4" with out anything under. If I need more, I'll tie strap the 2X4 to it. That gets me to 6". I do have some play vertically where the rear latch attachment is. Might help to tighten that, then it won't teeter up and down.
Image013.jpg
This shows the rear latch that locks around a bar. Just forward of the wood blocks is where it sits on the front mower lift bar I just replaced. With play at the rear latch, the blade can teeter some.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Kenny, If you added a piece of steel (where the plywood is in the picture above) the same width as the lift bar (the piece that the plywood sitting on) would that stop the teetering and solve the height problem for you?

http://gardentractor...s-image011-jpg/

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Brian, the teeter is front to rear, not much, but adds up in the front. I have gotten several different measurements for how high it lifts due to this. 1" or better difference.

Also, this is a FULL float plow. It only sits on that bar to raise it, plus the mower lift has a slotted hole for float, too.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Kenny, have you got enough drop?(lots of room left in the down stroke of the cylinder)

How about bigger front tires?

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Will, it will go down a lot. I stuck a 2X4 block where the plywood was and it hits the bottom of the front axle now. Can't get anymore than 6" lift. I think I just need to use it to get a feel for how it's doing. C'mon snow! I'm about ready, just need to put the chains on.
I guess I could cough up the money and put 18" tires on the front. It will go quite far below grade right now.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Thought you might like a few pics.
Image029.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Image027.jpg
  • Image026.jpg

#15 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hi Kenny, The blade looks great! My set up is not the same as yours. I am not sure if it original or somebody fabricated it the way it is now. I think it hooks up the same, and I have the same part underneath along with the plate that slides into frame. My blade setup where it mounts the blade to the tube that goes underneath the tractor is different. I will try to get a pic for you so you can see what I mean. I dont think mine ever came with the part you just made! I put mine on tonight and graded some of my driveway with stonedust and the tractor pushed it well. I was just playing around trying it out. I see what you mean on the lift height. Mine is about 3" max. I have to go through it and replace some of the bolts that are loose or someone threw in it to get buy.
PS. you might want to find the other trip spring for yours because mine has some ajustments for the lower part of the trip spring and somebody threw a bolt in it so it wont trip. Its pretty hard on the lift system if you hit a rock! Trust me on this...I thought I ripped mine right off tonight. They are not bulldozers!
I was also thinking of welding some kind of "hook" from the tube to the lift system so it would not float as much. Thinking the blade might ride up on top of heavy snow.

Edited by Buck, September 12, 2011 - 07:55 PM.