11 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:18 PM

I remember it very well. I was at my grandparents on my dads side, Now my dad is not considered a part of that family any more... But any ways... I was eating breakfast complaining that I wanted to watch cartoons when my mom snapped and told me to shut up and watch what was on tv. She said it would change my future in every way, she was right. Every thing has changed. Being the kid I was, I listened and paid attention with everything I had, watching those towers fall over and over again. It reminded me of the feeling you get when the bully at school ruins your Lego car that you made during inside recess because it was too cold out.

I was eating cheerios in strawberry milk, grape juice, and 2 slices of toast with raspberry jelly.

Fast forward, 5 yrs ago I started helping my neighbor hand out flags. The little ones that hang on your car window. He bought 1000 of them every year and handed them out. He had some one hold the sign reading "honk if you will never forget 9/11". Needless to say after an hour or so you couldn't hear well. What really sticks in my mind is a fire truck full of firefighters drove by real slow. When their light changed, they flipped on the lights and sirens until they were past us. My ears where ringing after it but I felt really proud to be hold that sign at that moment. Two years ago my neighbor stopped doing it, he couldn't afford it. This last spring he lost his house due to foreclosure. That last time we did it, was the first time I was interviewed on the news, I wonder if I can find the video online from it.

Fast forward to today. I'm boiling mad, my school couldn't bother to do the moment of silence requested by the governor here. So far my school is the only one that I know of that did not do it. I almost walked up to the principle and asked what the.... he was thinking that he didn't do it. After all, one moment of the day, to remember the 3000 lives lost, is it too much to ask? Either way, I'm not proud to be a student at my school right now.

Here's the links to the news stories. Billy was my neighbor, Jesse is my dad. I can't find the one where I was interviewed.
Throwing a flag on morning rush hour; One man's 9/11 tribute | kare11.com

Here's one with a video.
Minnesotans remember 9/11 | StarTribune.com

Last year I used some of the things in a class I had taken at my school to create and image in memorial to 9/11. I've decided the only thing I would change at this point is the font, the dark red just does not fit any more.

Where and what where you doing 9/11 ten years ago?

911 memorial project.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, grand, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:33 PM

I was on my way to work when the first plane hit. Heard it on the morning radio. Shortly after arriving at work, watched the second plane hit the towers. I remember the confusion, the fear, the disbelief, the anger, the sadness, and the resurgence of pride of country of that day and the days that followed. For the first time in my life, I saw people openly weep during the National Anthem, total strangers hug, and people dropped the hyphens in their nationality for a while... they were Americans... nothing in front.

One of the things I remember feeling pride over was the first plane I saw in the air several days later. Normally I would never have noticed, but this lone plane in an otherwise unmarked sky drove home the point that we were still here, we wouldn't be beaten so easily, and now we were collectively mad as Hell.

There have been endless pundits since then, the what if's and the second guessing have been done to death. I still hear the call of "Let's Roll" and the prayers for the missing.

While none of the networks will probably have the gumption to show the video of that day, I can close my eyes and see it again. I am sorry for your school. That cowardice rules where Patriotism should rightfully be is a sad state of affairs.

Thank you for remembering ,God Bless the fallen of 10 years ago, God bless those who keep us safe, and God Bless the USA.

Edited by MH81, September 09, 2011 - 09:57 PM.

• Bolens 1000, BillTheTractorMan and tractorgarden have said thanks

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:53 PM

I was at work. We were busy doing all the usual things and making rounds. One of my co-workers pointed out the story on the radio and I stood and listened with my heart in my throat! I immediately called home to make sure that my own were safe. We spent the remainder of that day huddled around an old television that was in the electrical shop. Everyone was there from the Vice president of the company on down to some of the laborers. We all watched in silence, not wanting to miss anything that was said! As the details became more clear about what had happened, the shock abated and anger set in.
One thing is absolute! My life and our country were forever changed on that day! Those who will forget or who refuse to recognize the significance of the events of 9-11 are those who would spit on the veterans who give their lives in order that we may have the freedom that we enjoy! May God bless this country and all those whose service makes it the greatest Nation on Earth! We will never forget the sacrifices of the men and women who selflessly responded to this horror with the full measure of their courage! Nor will we forget the men and women who serve to this day in pursuit of the demons who masterminded this cowardly attack!

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!
  • BillTheTractorMan and tractorgarden have said thanks

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:56 PM

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! Thank you for remembering ,God Bless the fallen of 10 years ago, and God Bless the USA.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 10:16 PM

I can remember the day just like it was yesturday.God bless the USA and the men and wemen that have gave there lives to protect it.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#6 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 12:17 AM

I remember that to well. I was at work as a high / mid rise window cleaner making 75 grand a yr. Dating the perfect woman. As soon as the recruiters office opened I started the proccess of enlisting. I swore in Nov 2001 at 28 yrs. old Infantry and left a great job, that woman now my wife stood by me. I deployed four times. two actuall combat deployments one in 04 to Ar Ramadi and Fallujah with the fourth MEB. Injuries and timing prevented me from deploying again until Dec. 09 Then to Afgahnistan Dand Wa Patan just west of Pakistans FATA Wasirastan. I am now being retired after being Medevaced Sept 10. I poured myself into what I did and I learned one thing that was a constant. While in Iraq I fought a few Iraqies but almost daily I fought foriegn forces who spent a great deal of money and time trying to kill Americans. I have spoke with many detainees and they hate us. They hate us for thier religion or a lack of us having one. They hate that our woman are equal, they hate our values, ethics everything about us. While in Afghanistan I learned how the new forces we are fighting make thier money. We hemmorage dollars in Afghanistan and every one is corupt so money we invest has highest chance's to line the pockets of enemy forces. In my ten yrs I accumulated five MOS's (MOS = Job skill) I truly dedicated myself and I will never forget 9/11. I believed then and still do in the fundamentals that America was built on, I believe in the fight that has since 9/11 taken so many young Men and Women. And I know with out doubt that the things those Men, Women and I have done over there directly affected the ability of the enemy to come over here and hurt anymore innocent families. These comments will not be comfortable for some but I tried to keep to basic facts. I love my country and all those people who make it great. No regrets except I will not finnish my full twenty.
  • wilberj, MH81, caseguy and 4 others have said thanks

#7 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 02:59 AM

I remember, I had just worked all nite doing road construction in eastern PA, seems like we had just went to sleep when the phone started to ring, and ring ring ring........ Being super tired my coworker and longtime friend had the typical back and fourth,you answer it,no you answer it.... he picked up the receiver WHAT? still trying to sleep I hear my mild mannered easy going Portuguese born boss crying out over the phone, They are F--KING blowing us up,NO WORK TONIGHT!,NOT ALLOWED ON ROADS!Turn on your TV and hung up on us. We walked down to the lounge and watched the events unfold. (I was at a motel in Morgantown PA) We did not know what,why or how come. As we learned more and about the plane going down in western Pa my heart sank, my wife, my kids, are they alright? , what about mom and dad?....I am stuck here in eastern PA and everyone I love is on the other end of the state where the plane was heading! We made contact with them, but we still did not feel any better. The barmaid started pouring shots to the ten or so grown men in her bar and poured one for herself, GOD BLESS AMERICA! I have made it a point to stay close with my kids,the out of town trip are ok on occasion, but after that day I decided that I wanted to be with them, not just a paycheck. Remember the bloodbanks with record turnouts? But have we as a whole forgotten? I shall never forget,IN GOD WE TRUST! Thank you to those who serve in the military, medics, police, firefighters! Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, September 10, 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 04:33 AM

I remember turning on the TV and watching it,and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:22 AM

I was working at Boeing in Wichita. The whole building got very quiet as the images were shown on the computers. Somewhere, I have a CD I made with over 500 images I collected about this. Heck of a slide show.

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 07:40 AM

i was at Smith Voc. and Agricultual school in northampton ma., the welding and metal fab. class i was taking whent on a moring break at 10:15 am when the announcement came on that we are under attack and for all the students to the caeteria for further progress on the attacks, a TV in the teachers lounge shown the 2nd airplane flying into the building, like everyone else i just drove home thinking that today would be the last day of school for us, the rest is history,
that evening a new tank TV show showing young recruits driving tanks for the first time was canceled and never did air again,
the welding classes picked back up after a few weeks and the entire school started a World Trade Center Bombing Fund, a significant amount was donated at the end of school season, to the city of New York and to the New York Fire Department fund,
how can we forget,

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:19 AM

...As soon as the recruiters office opened I started the proccess of enlisting. I swore in Nov 2001 at 28 yrs. old Infantry...

I just wanted to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !

#12 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 11:03 AM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !

Ditto! Thank you for serving our country, fighting for our freedom, and fighting for the freedom of others.