• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,675 Thanks
  • 28,328 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 11:30 PM

I think one of those pics showed part of the AC under water... Did it survive?

#32 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 04:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your flo0ding, George. I've went through that, several year ago, and it isn't fun.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 08:29 AM

I think one of those pics showed part of the AC under water... Did it survive?

I did turn the a/c on for about a half hour last night. It seemed to work pretty good. The part that was under water thankfully was only the bottom duct. The actual blower is about 3' off the ground.

I will run the a/c again today once we get home from work. We might have to get the burner for the oil heat serviced and hopefully it just needs to dry out. Water heater still works so that is a plus. The basement has dried up a good bit and I think we will be alright. Going to have to scrub the walls down then. The dumpster is supposed to come today and we will get all of our stuff thrown in to it over the weekend. I guess we have it for 10 days.

Still worried about the pool. We talked to a guy at Fox pools and they said the liners and pool is designed so the liner does come away from the pool frame when there is that much water in the ground. Our problem though is there is about a 15' section where the liner came apart at the top rail. Also it still doesn't explain all of the brown water and flooding in less then 3 hours. I understand the water will discolor some from water runoff from the ground but not as brown as it is. I still think something gave out on the pool but we have to wait until the dirt settles and get someone out to inspect it.

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 01:16 AM

Sucks to hear that George. I think you should just fill the pool in if it was the cause of the basement flood.

Either way I would rent a jackhammer and make a hole in the basement floor for a permanent water pump close to where you can feed it electricity and plumb a hose out of the house wall and at least 20 foot away from the house. Then with a float sensing switch in the hole with the pump, it will turn the pump on and off as a certain water level occurs, therefore you're basement will not flood as much as it did unless a large inrush occurs that is faster than the pump can pump out. The bad part is the floor in your basement is probably flat so it will take a fair amount of water on the floor to find the pump cavity before it triggers the pump, but you will be better than you were. As long as you keep that in mind and set everything important up on blocks to keep it off the floor a bit you should be able to prevent another basement flood. I would also make sure there is at least one layer of block (or row of tile if you are cheap LOL) around the base of the walls to prevent the bottom of the walls from getting soaked if the pump has to combat an inch or so of water.

#35 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Sorry to see you got flooded. I second the sump pump. I had a house that the basement would get 6 inches of water for every inch of rain. After getting the sump pump working correctly, I would just have a few little streams of water on the basement floor when it rained.

#36 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi George, awfully sorry to hear about your flood. Funny how water does that. Now that it has found a way in, you need to make sure you get it all sealed up and drained away form the house. We had a situation at work where the water found it's way into a wood-floored area and it took forever to get it sealed.
Your water heater should have any controls that got wet replaced, other than that it should be OK. Your ac definately should be serviced. Try contacting your insurance again and see if they will at least give you the name of a contractor who deals with this sort of thing routinely. Your ac will indeed do a good job of removing moisture, but unless it is hot outside you will need to find a way to keep the heat up inside the house so that the water will continue to evaporate. A dehumidifier will do a better job long term, but your AC will remove a lot. Try getting several estimates for work you need to contract.

Again, sorry to hear about this.