• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:18 PM

First off I want to thank everyone for the great birthday wishes in the other thread. Today turned out to be a birthday I will not forget.

We have never really had any trouble with water in the basement before in the last year that we have been here at this house. We have also had a lot of rainfall in the past also and didn't have any problems. This time though was different. They are still calling for lots of rain the next couple of days so it isn't over yet I guess.

We were at work and my wife called and said the kids were getting out of school at lunch time because the parking lots were flooding. Figured alright, they will be fine till we get home. Then she calls me back and says the bus is going to have to drop the kids off at the end of our road because our road is closed. That was fine at least with our two oldest.

We were worried what they were going to do with the little one so we had my dad go pick her up at school. That worked out well. This morning before leaving for work I was outback smoking like I always do and granted the pool was pretty full but the water was still nice and clear. When dad got home from picking the little one up the pool was brown.

Our older kids went down to the basement like they normally do to get on their computer and watch tv but there was about 2' of water in the basement. They called and my wife and I left work and came home to start the cleanup process. We only have a little 1 1/2" pump but it is getting the job done albeit slow. We got everything out of the basement now except for the couch and loveseat.

The pool is jacked. I guess all of the water running down towards the pool area started pushing the liner in. We need to call a fox pool company and have them come out. Depending on how much it is going to cost we may just fill it in.

We also called the insurance company. Nothing is covered since it is groundwater damage. If you don't have flood insurance and the damage is caused by groundwater you are screwed with no lube. We were not in a flood plain and never purchased flood insurance.

The best part of the day is, I got to use the Massey 1655 with the 3pt 12" Brinly plow and plow a trench to help redirect the rainwater coming off of the hill. Really wish we would have known because I would have done it a lot sooner.

Can't complain too much though. All of the family is safe and so are the tractors.

Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0006.jpg
  • DSC_0010.jpg
  • DSC_0018.jpg
  • DSC_0029.jpg
  • DSC_0005.jpg
  • DSC_0009.jpg
  • DSC_0004.jpg
  • DSC_0012.jpg
  • DSC_0008.jpg
  • DSC_0021.jpg
  • DSC_0007.jpg
  • DSC_0003.jpg
  • DSC_0030.jpg
  • DSC_0011.jpg
  • DSC_0031.jpg
  • DSC_0026.jpg
  • DSC_0001.jpg
  • DSC_0014.jpg
  • DSC_0016.jpg
  • DSC_0027.jpg
  • DSC_0013.jpg
  • DSC_0002.jpg
  • DSC_0028.jpg
  • DSC_0015.jpg
  • DSC_0033.jpg
  • DSC_0017.jpg

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Not a very nice way to spend your birthday. Sorry to hear you had such a crappy afternoon.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:30 PM

I am very sorry to hear about the Flood George..... I hope the cleanup effort goes as smooth as possible

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,664 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Sorry to hear this. Good luck on the clean up.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,246 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:47 PM

I sure feel for you George, and your family. You all lost something in that basement I'm sure. And the work to repair it! Like you didn't have enough on your plate too. And to happen on your birthday to boot. I don't think I ever want a basement should I ever have the chance or need for a new home, just because of what you're going through. My sister's house has flooded twice & not in a flood zone, but she had insurance that covered her well. Wish things were different for you. If this gets expensive, you may not be able to get that outside wood furnace. For most all of us, things are tight enough $-wise without things like this happening!
But, we somehow have to keep our chins up and steel to the grindstone, and I'm sure you'll make it through. There is an army of us who would gladly help if only we could.

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Sorry for the mess you have there George.Hope you get it cleaned up so the little ones can get back to playing.But you could tell the kids that it is a start for the indoor pool they always wanted.

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Sorry to hear about the basement flooding etc: Not something anyone likes to have happen. Hope the cleanup goes well.From the looks of the pics you all have lost some stuff due to the flooding. Larry

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:34 PM

I honestly am not too worried about it. I am just hoping we can get it dry enough and fast enough to not get any mold or mildew. The kids did loose a few things but most of the toys that did get wet were plastic and we are going to let them dry out and hopefully they will be salvageable. We also lost some Christmas decorations which isn't too bad. Good thing is most of the stuff we had down in the basement was stuff we have forgotten about or barely ever use.

We plan on getting up extra early tomorrow morning and get some shop vacs to suck up the water the pump can't pick up. I also want to get the dehumidifiers going asap once the water is gone. Going to rip out the drop ceiling and the paneling and framing to help eliminate the chance of mold. Not too worried about refinishing it, as long as we dress it up enough that the kids feel comfortable still using the one side as a tv/play room we will be good.

Gotta get the pool guy out to inspect the pool. That will tell us if we are going to fix it or fill it in. We also want them to inspect the pool because if it is something in the pool that gave out and caused the rush of water into the basement then our insurance will cover everything. I honestly think it is something that gave out on the pool since the liner is pushed towards the middle of the pool in a lot of places. I am not a physics professor but do displace that much water to allow the liner to be pushed in something had to of gave.

#9 Fabman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Sorry for your loss there George. Like olcowhand said if we were closer we'd be there to help ya. Hope things go well for ya and you all get a break with the weather. Randy G.

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Man that stinks George. Glad to see you still have your good spirit. Some birthday present; Casey and me jumping out of your birthday cake would even be better then that!!! Shawn

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Dang George on you're birthday, But any day is bad. Hope all comes out well.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,344 Thanks
  • 4,936 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:38 PM

I feel for your George. I hope it is your pool and the insurance will stand for it. Looks like your trench is doing the job. Good idea on your part.

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:40 PM

Sorry to hear of your unexpected troubles, seems like if it's not 1 thing it's another.

#14 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:10 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Happy birthday

Prorestore Microban is what you want to spray on everything. you can get it at jon-don

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 11:13 PM

George. Sorry about your misfortune. Happy birthday and I see mother nature gave you an indoor pool. Not the first thing on your list, huh.

Hope you get an early handle on damage control. Glad family and GT's are ok.