19 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:45 PM

My 1978 Kohler 316 just got an oil change since I didn't know how long the oil had been in it. I used AmSoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil since it's air cooled - so far the seals are holding as I haven't found any leaks yet. I was suprised to find that there wasn't an oil filtration system. Has anyone added one to a Kohler that didn't have one to begin with?

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:13 PM

Generally, if the engine didn't have an oil filter to begin with, then it didn't have a pressurized oil system. It would be difficult if not impossible to add a filter to a non-pressurized oil system without adding a pump of some sort.

#3 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Yea. That is what I figured as well. I'm almost certain it has the splash system, but was hoping that there might be a block-off plate on the side of the engine for those that had an optional filter. So, do you suppose that there were actually 2 different Kohler engines put in the 316? I could have sworn I saw a part number for a filter for it.

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Thats a 316 with an Onan

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Thats a 316 with an Onan

No, its the original 316 which is pretty much identical to the 300. Kohler K341 engine. Even if these engines do not have an oil filter they last a long long time if not abused. They are also rebuildable. I'm not sure how long these newer engines with the filters will last. I think in some cases it is more of a selling point than a real improvement in the longevity of the engine. It seems even cheap LT's have engines with filters these days.

#6 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:24 AM

Right. I knew about the Onan...and I knew of the one Kohler. Guess I was hopeful that there may have been a Kohler with filter. Glad to know these Kohler motors last a long time even without filtration. As I mentioned, I was shocked to not find a filter hidden under the dust and oil on this thing. I'll just plan on running synthetic in it and keeping the air filter clean.

Thanks fella's.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 03:27 PM

AMSoil does make a synthetic for engines designed to use SAE30. The other thing to watch out for is carbon buildup on the head, piston and valves. It is recommended that the head be removed every 500hrs to decarbon these parts. The problem is you don't know how many hours are on the engine in most cases. The head gasket was leaking on the 314 and had to be replaced. The carbon buildup was really bad and it was a good thing to get in there and clean it up while changing the gasket.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Terry, The K-series engines doesn't have a oil pump, or a pressurized oil system. It wouldn't be able to use a oil filter.

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 12:05 AM

No, its the original 316 which is pretty much identical to the 300. Kohler K341 engine. Even if these engines do not have an oil filter they last a long long time if not abused. They are also rebuildable. I'm not sure how long these newer engines with the filters will last. I think in some cases it is more of a selling point than a real improvement in the longevity of the engine. It seems even cheap LT's have engines with filters these days.

No what? He said there is a 316 with an oil filter. Thats a 316 with an Onan

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 12:07 AM

Engines last twice as long in a dirty environment with a oil filter

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:10 AM

Engines last twice as long in a dirty environment with a oil filter

I'm sure that is true. I was just wondering if one of those newer aluminium vertical shaft engines with an oil filter would last as long as the old K series.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:12 AM

No what? He said there is a 316 with an oil filter. Thats a 316 with an Onan

Sorry Mike! I thought you were asking what 316 he had. There seem to be a lot of the original K 341 powered 316's showing up here.

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thats a 316 with an Onan

That's an different tractor with an open frame. From WFM

tarting with the model 318 in the 1983 model year, John Deere completely redesigned the 300 series. It was as revolutionary as the 140 had been when it was introduced. From a clean sheet of paper came the model 316 and 318, respectively. Once again all of the attachments that could be used on the previous 140 and 300 series tractors could be adapted to the new 318. New design features included:

Two-cylinder Onan air cooled engine with cast iron cylinder liners standard on both tractors.
Rear of frame redesigned to an "Open Frame" configuration, as opposed to "closed frame" design of previous 300 series tractors.
First use of annunciator lights incorporated into dash panel of 300 series tractors. Electromagnetic clutch for both front and rear PTO.
Redesigned fender deck resulting in a more "squared off" appearance resulting in greater operator protection and comfort.
Redesigned front axle to allow more weight bearing capacity. Replaceable spindle bushings.
Transaxle manufactured by Tecumseh, with a Hydraulic oil cooler as standard on the 318
True hydrostatic power steering. A first on a Lawn and Garden tractor.
A reserve fuel tank that allowed 15-30 minutes extra operating time.
Two spools of remote hydraulics

#14 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'm sure that is true. I was just wondering if one of those newer aluminium vertical shaft engines with an oil filter would last as long as the old K series.

Thats true. Clean oil is no good if the bore looks like an egg

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:29 AM

So what engine does this guy have? If it's a 1978 series I 316, it should have a K- Series Kohler. If he has an Onan without a oil filter, he can't add the oil filter block because the engine blocks are different between the 1 that has a filter and the 1 that doesn't. I have both block in my shop, and they appear to have different machine work done inside the block where the oil filter plate mounts. I hope this all makes since.