3 replies to this topic

#1 1104JR OFFLINE  

1104JR

• Member No: 6004
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hey all, I could use some help,

I left the key on to my 1980 210 (10hp Kohler), I jumped the dead battery and started to mow, the engine would totally die about every 5-10 minutes of mowing, I tried turning the key off and back on and moving to neutral but I had to re-start it in neutral after it sat a few seconds. Not sure if I burnt the points but wondered if some one has experienced this and figured out its the coil or condenser or something else that could save me some time.

Also I have a 1965 110 round fender and am wondering if some one knows the model mower deck and size it came with so I can look for one and any details for attaching arms, belts and tension spring .

Thanks fore your help.

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:31 AM

I can help on the 110 question - they came with a three-blade model 38 deck. The early decks (63-64) were welded and fetch large sums of cash. The later stamped decks were well made but had problems with rust if the bottom side not cleaned off. The weld on the gauge wheels also commonly broke and were welded back on. I have two good ones (one for my "user" '66 110 and one for my "awaiting restoration" '67.

The '66-'67 112 used a three-blade model 46 deck. The mule drive used two belts and the 112 parts interchange with the 110 to allow for used of the larger deck on the 110. I have read of many people doing this but I personally like the cut of narrower decks over the large decks.

Found this on another forum and it is helpful:

Model 38 – Originally used on the round fender tractors but can be adapted for use on 1968+ models (see Parts Catalog 876 for details). The adaptation diagram in the PC fails to address the fact that the stock model 38 belt guard will not fit when using the larger main drive pulley recommended for use on later model tractors (requires a larger cutout or the model 39 belt guard).

Model 46 – Originally used on the round fender tractors, mainly the 10HP 112 model. Also can be adapted for use on the 1968+ models (see PC 1028 for details). Probably too much deck for an 8HP equipped tractor but may be an option if the grass your cutting is fairly tame. Similar issue with the belt guard / main drive pulley clearance when using the larger drive sheave.

#3 1104JR OFFLINE  

1104JR

• Member No: 6004
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thanks so much Trav1s for the deck info, I just picked up this 110 and am really excited to mow with it, still amazes me how well built these tractors were, I bought my 210 in '91 used and have been mowing with it ever since, rebuilt the engine once and replaced a few deck parts and belts and that's it.

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks so much Trav1s for the deck info, I just picked up this 110 and am really excited to mow with it, still amazes me how well built these tractors were, I bought my 210 in '91 used and have been mowing with it ever since, rebuilt the engine once and replaced a few deck parts and belts and that's it.

I totally agree! I spent a fair amount of time on Dad's 210 and Grandma's 212 during the 80's. Well built tractors. Skip forward to me needing a rider for myself and I settled on the early 110 because the price was right and it did not take up much space in the garage. As I have spent 2+ years using it for mowing and snow removal (model 42 blade) and I am reminded it was built like a tank. As much as I love my recently purchased 120 with hydrostatic drive I still love the feel and sounds of the 110 at work.