6 replies to this topic

#1 Banjopicker10 OFFLINE  

Banjopicker10
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 95950
  • 524 Thanks
  • 317 posts

Posted May 27, 2020 - 10:25 AM

I love the idea of building a diesel garden tractor but all the diesels I see are over 1000 dollars!!!

I am only 14 and do not have a job so I have no steady income so all money I get is earned from doing odd jobs I was wondering if there is any way of getting a small diesel fit for a garden tractor for under 200 dollars?

• Kster526 said thank you

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 1061 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted May 27, 2020 - 12:42 PM

No...... simple answer. But it’s nice to have dreams and maybe a long term goal to work towards. Keep saving. Good luck
  • Dee, boyscout862, Kster526 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 14774 Thanks
  • 9851 posts

Posted May 27, 2020 - 02:16 PM

Take some advice from a 68 year old. Have dreams and goals but give them time. Work with what you have, build your knowledge and your resources(tools, parts, friends,and manuals). If you come upon a free mower and can fix it up, you've learned a lesson. That in itself is valuable. If you then don't need it, sell it and gain some cash. Repeat when you can. Eventually someone will let you have a free riding mower or a free lawn tractor. Fix them up and use or sell them. A lawn mowing route can be a good money maker but don't try to take on too many or people will be disappointed and take away their business. One of my brother's customers gave him a Wheelhorse GT after he had been mowing their yard for a year, they had bought a new Cub Cadet. He's had that WH for about 55 years. You've got time, things will come along if you are ready. I've been looking for a diesel for 10 years and haven't found a small one yet. One of these days I'll find one. Good Luck, Rick

• Dee, Cvans, Kster526 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1709 Thanks
  • 1709 posts

Posted May 27, 2020 - 03:25 PM

Diesel conversion are overrated. I got caught up in the fever a few years back and converted a snapper 1650 to diesel. I am unimpressed with it. The diesel doesn't do anything that a gas engine does except cost more in parts.

Use your money to acquire more tractors and have more fun. The diesels will still be there when you are able to earn more money. Right now, just have fun with the hobby and your tractors.
  • Dee, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 2073 Thanks
  • 1058 posts

Posted May 28, 2020 - 06:24 AM

DITTO, EVERYONE HAS SAID IT PERFECTLY, LAUGH , ENJOY , SOMETIMES BETTER TO LET LIFE COME TO YOU.

• boyscout862, Achto and Banjopicker10 have said thanks

#6 Banjopicker10 OFFLINE  

Banjopicker10
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 95950
  • 524 Thanks
  • 317 posts

Posted May 29, 2020 - 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone that is very encouraging.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2550 Thanks
  • 1619 posts

Posted May 30, 2020 - 05:36 PM

... earned from doing odd jobs I was wondering if there is any way ...

First off, JOB = Just Over Broke. The sooner you realize that relying on someone else for your livelihood is a bad idea, the happier you will be. Stay in school, get a trade, and buy a pickup or van. You will never lack for work or money. If you want a job, be prepared to lose it every couple of years when the economy tanks or the corporation moves to Mexico or India.

I just bought a $700 tractor without spending a dime of my own money. I was helping a friend fix his horse shed & it need to be emptied first so we threw it into my truck. When we were done, I mentioned I was going to do a scrap metal run later in the week. He asked if I would take his old rider when I went. Sold the horse poop for $50 delivered to a newbie prepper. Got the rider running and sold it as a project to small engine shop for $300. The lady who bought the poop had a push mower she gave me. Sold that for $75. Dug out an old rider I no longer wanted and sold it for $350.

As a youth, you have the one thing us old people don't have: the ability to do manual labour. Most guys my age don't have the time or the physical ability to do hard labour anymore, but we do have a little surplus money. Couple of years ago I hired a teenager to mow my lawn. I even provide the rider & gas for him. Told him I would pay him by the hour. 20 minutes later he knocked on my door asking for his money. I looked at the lawn & it wasn't 1/4 mowed. He said something about his guild starting a quest shortly. Last time he worked here. My parents live in an apartment. They wanted a picture hung but neither can lift their arms over their heads. Could not find anyone to do the job. They even offered one guy $50. I ended up driving the 4 hours each way to hang a picture.

So, yes, there is always a way if you are willing to be creative.

• KennyP, sharkman and Banjopicker10 have said thanks