Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

214 - Got the Wiring Right - Now No Spark???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:42 PM

I am so close to getting my 214 off and running. I have it wired up and it fired off about 6 times and then...no spark! I'm looking for ideas of what I may have wired incorrectly for it to work and then suddenly not work. I installed new points and a condenser. Any ideas of what to check first?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 10:11 PM

My custom 7 did that to me. Ended up with the ground (kill) wire just touching the flywheel enough to wear thru and ground out. May be worth a look. It's happened to other guys here too.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:55 AM

Have you had a look at the points. Sometimes the adjustment screw doesn't stay tight and they shift. It happened to me when I was fiddling with them. I would also check your connection from the engine chassis back to the battery. If you can't find anything obvious, get a copy of the electrical diagram from the tech. manual and check the circuit.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Sounds like a loose wire or something is grounding out. Could also just be coincidence that something else gave up the ghost. I would take the multimeter and work my way through the electrical system.

#5 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Last night I took the multimeter to the lead on the coil from the points and had continuity to ground the whole way through while turning the engine over so my guess is either the points worked their way closed or there is a short in the wire. Won't get to check it out for a couple days though.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track Jeff. Also check the lead post where it mounts at the points box and make sure the isolation hasn't worn off. I had the points terminal inside a Wisconsin points box would ground out on me when I put the cover back on. With the cover off it was fine. Took quite a bit of finagling to get it to cooperate.
  • jdslednut said thank you

#7 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 12:09 AM

It was the points. They had closed themselves. Wonder what could have caused it? They were tight and adjusted correctly when I installed them. Guess I shouldn't overlook the obvious.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 06:01 AM

It was the points. They had closed themselves. Wonder what could have caused it? They were tight and adjusted correctly when I installed them. Guess I shouldn't overlook the obvious.

Glad you found the problem. The same thing happened to me. I wonder if sometimes new points are not seated properly in the mount and as the engine runs they snap into their proper place which messes up the gap. Mine seem fine since then.

#9 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 03:00 PM

I hate it when that Happens:thumbs: