• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• Member No: 3163
  • 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Bought the gears, seals and bearings ($250), put it all back together, started mounting it back on the tractor when I discovered that I had put the shifter rods in backwards.:wallbanging:

So I took it all apart, put it back together--now I'm looking for a better way to put it back on the tractor. Anybody have a quick and easy way to get it back together? I imagine JD makes a jack just for that purpose for another $250. :smile1: I'm going to try mounting it on the rear plate first, put the wheels on, then roll it in place. Will that work? I guess I will find out.

If I redo it enough times, I might get good at it.

Larry

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Larry, just put your head down and power through it!! We've all been there, on those jobs that never seem to go back together without fighting you all the way. The good news is that it will likely last another 30yrs once you get it sorted out.

#3 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:42 PM

I recently put a transaxle in a 216. had the tractor on jack stands. Put the rear plate on first and used a 2 ton floor jack to lift it up. Worked great for me.

#4 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Got the transaxle back on--no problem. It's a lot easier the second time. Now I just have to hook everything back up and hope for the best!

#5 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:54 AM

I think I discovered where my problem originated: The clutch pedal was adjusted incorrectly. The clutch pedal is supposed also be a brake pedal--but since the linkage was incorrectly adjusted, there was no brake on the bottom of the LH pedal. The result? Grinding gears.

Peerless Transaxles must be stopped for shifting!!! (according to the Peerless service manual). It's not like a car.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 03:21 PM

I think I discovered where my problem originated: The clutch pedal was adjusted incorrectly. The clutch pedal is supposed also be a brake pedal--but since the linkage was incorrectly adjusted, there was no brake on the bottom of the LH pedal. The result? Grinding gears.

Peerless Transaxles must be stopped for shifting!!! (according to the Peerless service manual). It's not like a car.

It's always a good feeling when you find the reason for something failing. It's sort of like detective work where you try to figure out what the history of a machine is based on it's present state.
  • mehs1970 said thank you

#7 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 05:56 PM

It's back together and running better than ever! The gears feel tight, but that's good, right? Mowed the whole lawn (2 acres). There's more of a whine than than I am used to, but it's a healthy sounding tractor noise--I think.

I will post pix when I get a chance.

thanks for help and support!

Larry

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have read on other forums that people use 85-140 gear lube to quiet them down. Synthetic also does help. What did you use?

#9 mehs1970 OFFLINE  

mehs1970

• 2 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 06:25 PM

I used the 85-140. Before, the whine was only in the lower gears. Now it's also in 3rd gear, where I spend most of my time when I am mowing. I wonder if it is in the variator or the gear box?

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 06:40 AM

The new gears are meshing differently than when the worn ones were in there, so it seems natural that the noise would change as well. If you turn the transmission by hand and it turns freely and quietly at low speed in all gears then it is probably OK.