pulley nut on 214 mower deck

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MacWorld OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 01:09 PM

First of all I hope I am in the right forum to post my question.

I am rebuilding my 214's 39" mowerdeck and I am at the point where I need to torque the 3x 1.125" nuts to hold the pulleys to the blade's shaft. It should be torqued to 120lbs/ft but how do JD engineers think we should hold the shafts from turning? I am not even able to go to 60lbs/ft holding the blade!

Currently my plan is to make a tool which I would screw at the place of the blade with a 4' arm but before doing it, did someone has a better way of doing this?

Also, do I really have to torque those nuts to 120lbs/ft? To me it seems quite a lot.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:02 PM

:wave: MacWorld Welcome to GTTalk! I usually get a chunk of 4X4 and wedge it between the blade and the deck. I haven't ever done this on a JD deck, but it works on Bolens and Wheel Horse decks. Hope that this helps. Since you're here, why don't you pop over to the Member Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself and your hobby(s)? Thanks for signing up!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Welcome to GTTalk MacWorld. I asume you got the 120ft/lb figure form a reliable source and it is the recommended torque. You need to hold the blade from turning as caseguy indicated above. You may need to get a second person to help out. You don't want them coming loose on you!!

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,711 Thanks
  • 1,383 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Are you doing this on the bench or on the deck?
I use a large pipe wrench (18" or larger) on the blade end and use my electric impact.
You can also use a vise to hold the blade end. I would use a electric or air impact. My old impact will put it around 100 pound. The lock washer is not going the release the nut at 100 pounds.

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 10:19 PM

I just hold the blade and use a impact and tighten them to were i feel good.Never hade one come off.

#6 MacWorld OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 02:06 PM

For future reference if someone wants to make a tool, there are pictures of what I did in my "introduction thread"