Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New dude, and new owner of an older 212 tractor with a problem or three...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DHCowboy OFFLINE  

DHCowboy

• Member No: 6112
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Greetings and Salutations! :wave:
I'm proud new 3rd (to me) owner of a 1982 Deere 212 tractor and larger mower deck. (assuming it's a 46"?) So far, loving it with its' 12 HP Hohler 1-lunger over my older Craftsman beast with the 18HP Kohler Magnum 2-bore.
However.. Noticed the front plate over the motor mounts cracked in half on my 1st mow. No ideas on how to fix it, posted on another thread about it. No cash for a new one, will have to be a home repair job. Have a thick rubber washer holding it up and level for now.
And - when powering her down, I pull all throttle back and allow it a few secs to slow down before shutting off - yet get a loud "pop" or backfire at the end of the engines' spin. Could this be out of time? Normal? (I doubt that) :confuse:
And, she seems to be running rich. New air filter, even tried running no filter - but using a bit more fuel than expected and plug comes out black/sooty. Ideas?

Also, when variator lever is in forward (faster) position, I get a pretty loud whine out of the tranny- when pulled rearward (slower) it practically stops the noise - is this normal?

Damn glad to have found y'all - looking forward to swapping fixits on this critter with ya's. And would anyone happen to have the manual for the serial #190,000 + up?

Cheers! DHCowboy

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 02:11 PM

Regarding the backfire, is there much left of the muffler? Kohlers do have a tendency to pop on decel after running full throttle for a little while. Your other symptom of fuel consumption and sooty plug also explains a possible cause of the popping. Sounds like you need to adjust your high speed mixture circuit. Try just an 1/8 of a turn clockwise on the highspeed needle. It is hard to adjust someone else's carb over the internet. You can also get a Kohler manual which will explain the mixture screws and base settings and you can go from there.

As for the motor mount, I am not familiar with the John Deeres but I am sure someone can give some pointers on it. There is a good chance that the plate had a hairline crack in it before you started mowing (which is what I believe happened) and you mowing just finished it off.

The vari drive setups do tend to be a little noisier. Check your gear oil in the tranny and make sure it is full to spec. I am sure there is also a John Deere manual that would outline the adjustment procedures for the vari drive as well. Massey and a few others use the same type of vari drive setup with the Peerless transmissions and they are definitely not a quite setup but it shouldn't be overly noisy either. All depends on one's interpretation of the noise.
  • DHCowboy said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 03:14 PM

DHCowboy,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:05 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.

The varidrive has an idler/tensioner on the rear belt. I would check that for bad bearings... would sound like the tranny.

As NUTNDUN said above, the nose level is kinda subjective and I agree with the running rich diagnosis. You might check the choke is opening up all the way before you adjust. If it's staying part way closed, that could be another reason it's rich. Should be pretty easy to tell with the air cleaner off.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:19 PM

The variator does require some maintenance from time to time, and unfortunately it does get neglected. You can use the procedure in the service manual here for servicing the variator. Also, the Peerless transmissions can be a little noisy. A whine is normal, but if you hear grinding, etc., then that's not normal.

#6 DHCowboy OFFLINE  

DHCowboy

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the replies and greetin's, folks!
Will have to suss out that high-speed circuit, was it? I DL'd one manual today - the Service Manual - one other was too big and I cancelled it, but the site must think I have it anyhow - I'm blocked 'till I post a few more times. No hurry tho.. Maybe the 12 HP Kohler manual next then?

And the trans seems full if I found the right plug to check. Front of trans, maybe 1/2 way up? B*tch to get to? It poured out and smelled not too bad. ;-) Maybe that rear idler then... (once I figure out where this stuff all is - don't have a lift, just a wee floor jack)
Maybe I can find someone to weld that mount - seemed pretty thick to break to me tho - was darned surprised. Or is there a swap/parts forum I haven't found on here yet maybe?
Happy work-week after the long weekend!

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:48 PM

:wave: DHCowboy Welcome to GTTalk! I'm afraid that I don't know a lot about the John Deeres, but it seems you're getting the help you need. We're glad that you've joined us!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies and greetin's, folks!
Will have to suss out that high-speed circuit, was it? I DL'd one manual today - the Service Manual - one other was too big and I cancelled it, but the site must think I have it anyhow - I'm blocked 'till I post a few more times. No hurry tho.. Maybe the 12 HP Kohler manual next then?

And the trans seems full if I found the right plug to check. Front of trans, maybe 1/2 way up? B*tch to get to? It poured out and smelled not too bad. ;-) Maybe that rear idler then... (once I figure out where this stuff all is - don't have a lift, just a wee floor jack)
Maybe I can find someone to weld that mount - seemed pretty thick to break to me tho - was darned surprised. Or is there a swap/parts forum I haven't found on here yet maybe?
Happy work-week after the long weekend!

I think you can download the Kohler K series service manual from the Kohler site if you are unable to do it here. My 314 used to do the backfiring thing when I first got it.. It turned out to be the timing was off and the points were barely opening. I reset the gap to .020 and the backfiring stopped. You may want to give the points a quick check.

#9 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to GTtalk

#10 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• Member No: 5968
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to the board and congrats on your 212. I just picked one up, too, and they really seem like a great machine.

#11 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Jump in on a chat some night!

#12 DHCowboy OFFLINE  

DHCowboy

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 12:06 PM

Thanks again fellas.. Looks like the manual download thingy is re-set at the 24-hour mark or something - just gave it another try and still blocked. Oh, well.. raining now anyhow - ain't gonna stand in the wet and try to set carbs or points. I like the new machine, but not quite that much.. ;-)

#13 DHCowboy OFFLINE  

DHCowboy

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks again fellas.. Looks like the manual download thingy is re-set at the 24-hour mark or something - just gave it another try and still blocked. Oh, well.. raining now anyhow - ain't gonna stand in the wet and try to set carbs or points. I like the new machine, but not quite that much.. ;-)

Well.. - MAYBE I won't... :rolling:

#14 peters OFFLINE  

peters

• Member No: 5189
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 01:06 PM

IIRC, the high speed jet is on the top of the carb, the idle jet is on the side.
I happen to have 212 of 1980 or so vintage.
Its probably worth while to get a carb rebuild kit and clean the thing up.
You just need the basic kit plus need to order the intake manifold gasket separately as it is not included.
If your float valve is leaking (in the carb) you will run rich which makes for sooty exhaust, mad mileage, and backfires.

#15 better before OFFLINE  

better before

• Member No: 5240
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Just make sure of which carb you have. It could be a kohler or carter carb, these 2 look basically the same and have and adjustment screw right on the top of the carb. Otherwise, it will be a walbro carb and those come in the manual as a tbd. The motor mount plate should just be able to be welded. Vari drive is noisy in the high gear and forward position. Tractors sound the same way in road gear. Let us know how you are coming, and post some pics when you can. They are especially helpful when asking for help.