• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hubb OFFLINE  

Hubb

• Member No: 272
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 04:04 PM

I was informed I could go ahead with a project thread on my tractor, so here goes. Maybe it will even motivate me to get this thing done.

First, I have to start from scratch. My lady didn't like the fact that I had three unused lawn tractors in the yard, so they are gone. I told her I could work on our current grass beheader, but she isn't crazy about me removing the deck, so that's a no-go as well. Anyway, I got to find me an old lawn mower.

The first thing I'm probably gonna have to do is engine work, but that'll come when I get my hands on one, so I ain't gonna go into details yet. Past thoughts included me placing a 4-wheeler or small motorcycle engine on it, but I don't know about that either.

Since this is going to be a completely custom build, I'm gonna have to piece together a 3-point hitch system. On my old version, it was just a matter of cutting and shaping scrap iron pieces (I worked at a hardware store, so this was candy :smile1:). That's probably the same approach I'll have with the new project.

Powering the system, though, is gonna be a little different. The old version had a hydraulic pump hooked up to the motor, which operated the lift. I can still go this route if I need to, but I was hoping for alternatives. Manual lift comes to mind, but some of the attachments may be too heavy. Has anyone used a pneumatic system for something like this? If it is possible, I could probably do something along those lines.

One thing I'd like to add that my old one didn't have is a PTO. If I'm gonna have a tractor, I might as well have a tractor, right? The problem is, I don't even know how to begin with this. I've thought about a belt driven system, and a standard gear system, but I just don't know. Any advise on this would be appreciated. Pics are nice too.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. I hope to get this thing going either this week or next and I can update this thread as I go.

Hubb

#2 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 20, 2010 - 05:29 PM

wow you have alot of work ahead of you talk to tractormike he can help with your build. and there are other's on the forum that will help that for sure i will just watch good luck remember to have fun see you later.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Just a couple of quick thoughts on your planned build Hubb. Since you say you want a 3 point hitch I think you are talking garden tractor sized project. Do you want it to be able to handle a full line of attachments such as a plow, disk, mower, snowblower etc. When you say PTO do you want just a belt drive or are you talking a shaft drive setup? I would consider using hydraulics for the lift over a pneumatic lift. You have more control with hydraulics and the cylinders can be a lot smaller in diameter with hydraulics, more pressure with hydraulics than air system. If you are thinking at all about putting a loader on your tractor the hydraulics would be handy. The other option would be to use electric actuators for the three point hitch and loader. Just a few of my thoughts, Mike

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Lots of good advice given.
Good luck on your project and be shure to take lots of pictures!
It seems like you got some work ahead of you! :dancingbanana: :wewantpics:

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 09:52 PM

I would definitely not use pneumatics for the lift. If something hung up while lifting, then let go, the compressed air would shoot the lift up like a bullet. With hydraulics, if hung up, the bypass in the pump would kick in. You can get some wild action from pneumatic.

#6 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 20, 2010 - 10:07 PM

Why don't you sketch it out, make a build sheet, run it by the guys here? When you get a finished mock up that will fly, then start building. You don't want to have to try and add wings after youv'e jumped from the cliff. In your post I here a lot of wishes, and dreams, but you need to have a true vision. What's your background, your ability, your talents?

#7 Hubb ONLINE  

Hubb

• Member No: 272
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 22, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Why don't you sketch it out, make a build sheet, run it by the guys here? When you get a finished mock up that will fly, then start building. You don't want to have to try and add wings after youv'e jumped from the cliff. In your post I here a lot of wishes, and dreams, but you need to have a true vision. What's your background, your ability, your talents?

I do a lot of DIY projects and I've learned a long time ago to make plans before the build. The other tractor I had (me and my cousin built when we were about 14) was pieced together without plans, but it worked. With that said, I've been doing stuff like this for a while now. Cutting / welding / shaping metal, small engine work, etc is all under my belt. Really, it's just a matter of doing it.

I'm working on the sketches now. As soon as I am able, I will put them here so they can be criticized / improved on.

Since you say you want a 3 point hitch I think you are talking garden tractor sized project. Do you want it to be able to handle a full line of attachments such as a plow, disk, mower, snowblower etc.

Yes.

When you say PTO do you want just a belt drive or are you talking a shaft drive setup?

Yes.:smile1: I'd like to be able to hook up the deck to the 3-point hitch to still be able to cut grass. And, to be honest, it would really just be for bragging rights. But since I really have no experience fabricating either system, I don't really know the route I would need to take. I would think that a belt driven system would be easier, though.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 09:14 AM

I am anxiously anticipating to see this progress. :D

I vote go hydro for the attachment lift system at least.

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 - 08:59 PM

As George said if you could find a good hydro tranny with a ported charge pump you would have enough hydraulic supply for a lift cylinder or two for your mower lift and a three point hitch. Not all hydro trannies have the ported charge pump. If you get a hydro tranny from a garden tractor and the tractor had hydraulics on it most likley it has the ported charge pump. If you wanted more hydraulics you could add another pump later

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 07:48 AM

Was there ever any progress made on this project?