5 replies to this topic

#1 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:49 PM

I'm back again for more help. I just bought another SS16 and now I have two of them that won't charge the battery. The wire plug that goes into the regulator is "L" shaped. I'm wondering why I can't use any regulator. The plastic is melted on both plugs(tractors) anyway so why can't a man use a reg.with all three spades right in a row? Also where would I be able to purchase a rectifier regulator? Thanks in advance everyone.
Mike

#2 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'll venture a guess, if it has a regulator/rectifier it wont accept a standard voltage regulator because it has an AC charging circuit, which is not like a starter/generator which is DC only.

A regulator/rectifier controls the voltage to the battery and the rectifier side turns AC voltage into DC voltage, whereas a Starter/Generator is DC output only so all you need for that is a regulator to control the voltage output.

The charging stator on your Onan is AC output hence you cant just put a regulator on, you need the combo unit, or if they are separate unit (some are) you may be ok using the 20 amp one but it may require some wiring work ?

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• onan vr.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and iron Mike have said thanks

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Mike, I'm having a similar problem with my SS16 and I also have the "L" shaped plug going to the regulator/rectifier. I measured the voltage output from the stator at full throttle and I'm getting about 26 AC volts so I believe the stator is OK. I tend to agree with your thinking that any three prong rectifier/regulator would probably work as long as the amperage rating is sufficient (probably 15-20 amps, guessing). I've been looking on ebay and there are quite a few listed, both used and new. I bought a used one about three months ago and it turned out to be defective. Since ebay seems to want almost as much for a used as new, I'm now looking for a new one reasonably priced. There's a new one on ebay right now that looks identical to the one I have but it's listed for Kohler 8 - 24 hp and doesn't mention Onan. The're asking $45 plus $5 shipping. The P/N is 3110297 if you want to check it out. I would check with the seller to be sure that it would work for you. Good luck.
Don
  • iron Mike said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:12 PM

You can use most any regulator/rectifier of same or higher amp rating, just be sure to get it hooked up right. I use whatever ones I have on all my engines with AC stators. Onan/Kohler/Tecumseh....I interchange them all.
  • dthomp17 and iron Mike have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Have you checked the connection from the case of the regulator/rectifier module back to the battery - terminal. It isn't always obvious that this connection needs to be there for the charging circuit to work.
  • iron Mike said thank you

#6 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hi Don,
I didn't check my Stator however,I did cut the melted l shaped plug off and put new female connectors on. Started the tractor and it was showing that it was charging 10-12 amps. I'm sure that the battery was low. So, far as I know I'm all set there. Now I've got to deal with the fuel pump and get the engine back into my other SS16 twin so that I can do this all over again. Good thing that I like to tinker.