9 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:43 PM

I picked up a little cultivator this weekend. Pretty basic little implement...7 tines, 36" inches wide, 3pt hitch attachment, etc. No spring release or adjustments. It was $75, which I thought was a little steep, but I'd already made the drive and the sellers seemed like nice people, so I brought it home.

The "top link" is just funny. Somebody cut a mower blade in half and welded some nuts on to make their own. It also came from the factory with a pretty narrow category 0 set-up, but the last guy made some brackets that look like they might be a narrow category 1.

My thinking is that I can break up dirt with it before rototilling. The clay out back it so hard that it's like tilling rocks, which make sitting on the tractor like a rodeo ride.

So I was thinking I'd replace the tines on the cultivator with heavier steel and put shovels on in three spots. I think that should break the dirt up and make it easier to till in top soil.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Hey Rev, do you have any pics? Wonder if it started out as a Sears unit.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:17 PM

No pics yet...wife's at her mom's cottage with the camera. It kind of looks like a Brinley, but I'm assuming it's some kind of knock-off. It could be a Sears though.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:19 PM

sounds like a Sears/DB unit to me. 7 tines is a lot, normal is 5. I cant think of any other factory unit that used the narrow 3pt. Does it have any gauge wheels on it?

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:25 PM

No gauge wheels. It have some kind of adaptor (I assume) for attaching it to what the guy called a "straight hitch." I think he meant one of those non-3 point hitches. The adaptor is a plate the attaches where the top-link goes and another hole further back. It has a plate with a couple of holes for bolting something on.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:31 PM

No gauge wheels. It have some kind of adaptor (I assume) for attaching it to what the guy called a "straight hitch." I think he meant one of those non-3 point hitches. The adaptor is a plate the attaches where the top-link goes and another hole further back. It has a plate with a couple of holes for bolting something on.

I read that 3times... I must be as tired as I feel. Can't quite get my head around it.

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Not a very good explanation. Sorry. I'll have to get some pics tomorrow and figure out how to get the onto this 'puter.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:17 AM

I will venture a guess the narrow 3-point was for a Sears, also. From what you are saying, it has been made to fit who knows what. Hope you can get it to fit your tractor.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:19 AM

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow and figure out how to get the onto this 'puter.

Can't wait to see the pics.

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:42 AM

Hey Rev. if your grd is like mine it's better to water it down first especially after the dry summer we've had.Good luck with your cultivator breaking grd.IMO a plow would be a better option.Larry.