• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi guys,
I have been having problem with my ignition switch. When I start it and let go of the key it shuts off. If I hold the key once it starts and wiggle it a little and let go, it will keep running. Tonight I was working on firewood, did the little start procedure, ran fine but when I went to start it again it just made the one clicking sound like the solenoid and or starter. I jumped the soleniod with a screwdriver and it fired up. I guess my question is all the switches I have seen seem to look alike as well as the same key. Is this the case that I can just grab one at Home Depot and put it in or should I just spend the extra and get one from New Holland dealer? Once I get the switch in then I can deal with the soleniod if that needs to be changed. This has the Kohler 14 hp if this matters.

#2 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:17 PM

Sounds like your switch is the problem. A generic switch should be fine as long as it has as many connectors as the one that's currently on it. I wouldn't worry about solenoid.

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Woaw on the switch! They are not all the same and you will have a fire if you don't use the correct one ! Some ground the ignition coil to shut them down( not yours ) some switch off the power (yours) . Go to a small engine shop and get one, or get a universal car ignition switch that has bolt type terminals, you will have far less troubles with it, and they are usually cheaper too.
  • Buck said thank you

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 02:03 PM

skyrydr is right. There are magneto style ignition switches and there are positive coil style switches. Tractor supply carries them also but I also suggest stopping by a power equipment dealer and picking one up local.
  • Buck said thank you

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 03:16 PM

That is some good advise Keith .:thumbs: