16 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

Today I bought an old Bolens QT17 for $300 off of Craigslist. I'm really not sure what I am in for since I am completely new to the world of old tractors. My only previous experience with mechanical equipment was with a '92 2 stroke KE125 I restored last summer.

The tractor runs well on choke, but struggles a little bit with full air. The mower deck seems to work good, although it needs a new pulley and belt, and the hydraulics seem to work well on it. Do you think $300 was a fair price? I have attached the craigslist photo. It came with a plow and the guy I bought it from did a spray can paint job on the tractor.

I know with the Kawasaki parts were sometimes hard to find, where are good sites to buy parts for the tractor? I also had a tough time finding a guy that could service the old points system, I was thinking I would learn to do this myself on the tractor, any suggestions on how I can do this?

Thanks to everyone in advance!http://www.gttalk.co...lies/madhop.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 3n13o73le5V35O25R4b9467538c32febe1bf3.jpg

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:37 PM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have you with us. I have several older Bolens but don't have much mechanical expertise. There are many people on the site that will be able to help you with your questions. Please keep us updated on your progress. Good luck.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:51 PM

:wave: JakeQT17 Welcome to GTTalk! Thanks for signing up! IMHO you did really good on the QT17...especially getting a working deck and a snow plow! Running with the choke on usually means that the engine is starving for fuel for one reason or another. My suggestion there would be a good thorough cleaning first and a rebuild if that doesn't solve the problem. As for finding parts, You're in luck! Member bhts (Bob) is a site sponsor and an excellent source for Bolens parts! You can find his website Here! Bob also really knows his stuff when comes to questions about these old beasts! I might add that we have several other extremely knowledgeable Bolens guys on this site too! So if you've got specific questions, ask away and I'm sure that someone will be along shortly who can answer them!

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:16 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Sounds like a dirty carb or bad gasket. First, drain the old gas out and replace it with some fresh. Then add some seafoam, (gas additive) mix it a little heavy. Next, get some carb cleaner and wash what you can thru the intake.

After that, start it outside and run it for a while. Stay within earshot, as the goo may suddenly let go and then your engine will be running very rich. No sense in fouling a plug. If this doesn't fix itself, try adjusting the carb as per the engine manual.

Still no go?... Time to rebuild. All of the above steps are pretty inexpensive and will do no harm... May even help loosen things up if you do have to rebuild it.

Oh, and that's a good deal. Deck, blade, tractor with hydraulics. $300's not bad.

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, JakeQT17. Sounds like you got a good deal on the Bolens!

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:02 PM

Yep I think $300 is a good price. That's what I just paid for mine. They are heavy built tractor and the hydraulic lift is a very nice plus.
If it starts and idles OK and only sags at high throttle then I would say you have a partially plugged high speed jet or an air leak somewhere.
Good luck with your new tractor.

#7 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:15 PM

:welcometogttalk: JakeQT17 glad to have you with us enjoy the forum, nice Bolens you have there.

Ron

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:27 PM

Glad you joined us Jake. Nice Bolens for your "first" older garden tractor. Welcome.

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:20 AM

:ditto: on the good deal :bounce: for 300 bucks you can afford to get your feet wet. and like said in upper posts the guys here are more than glad to help!!!

#10 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 02:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. It will be a couple weeks before I get to do anything with it, but I am going to do what you have suggested. I will let you know how it turns out and also get some better pictures..thanks again!!

#11 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 04:12 AM

Welcome to the site JakeQT17!!!

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 04:23 AM

JakeQT17,welcome to the forum.glad to have you with us.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Welcome! You seem to be getting good help. Good luck with the Bolens.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:38 AM

Welcome!

I think for $300 you got a good deal :bounce:

#15 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:09 PM

We move into our new house in 2 weeks, that's what I need the tractor for. One of the first things I will do is start working on the Bolens...I'm pumped. I think a good cleaning, carb blast, oil change, and inspection are at the top of the to-do list. Any idea where I can pick-up a pulley and belt for the mower deck? One of the pullies wobbles and the belt is about to break.