10 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 05:52 PM

well i started the resoration of my panzer 1107 today, so far i got the foot rest and some covers sanded. but 60grit paper aint taking the paint and rust off good got to get some 40grit and work up to a finner paper

#2 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:03 PM

I got a wheel at Harbor Freight that fits my 41/2" grinder that is great for removing paint. If there's one near you, check it out. Let's have before and after pictures...............please.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Would love to see pics of your progress as you go or before and after pics when you are done. Might want to look in to doing electrolysis.

#4 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:57 PM

you might could pick up one of those cheap sand blasters if you have a source of compressed air on hand. They work real good. I got an old one at an auction sale for 5 bucks.

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:36 PM

if you got a 4-1/2 angle grinder get some wire wheel brushes for it. That is how I remove paint and rust. You don't get the sanding marks that way.

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:00 AM

sandblaster?

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:24 AM

Sandblasting would definitely be the way to go if you have that heavy of rust,because if you don't get it out of the pores ,it will come back .Before and after pic would be great.

#8 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:39 PM

I just use a good ole battery powered drill with a wire wheel on it, all hardware and home remodeling stores have them so their easy to replace as you wear them out.

#9 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

tjrsallis

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:41 PM

If you have an air compressor that can run a diegrinder, get some 3m stripping wheels. Get the purple not black ones, the black ones shrapnel your face if your not wearing a shield. Also the roloc style scotchbrite wheels work well if your not into have sandblast media everywhere.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 07:25 PM

i just picked up some 40grit sandpaper and wow does it work great. one fender is sanded and the floor board, lol, is sanded

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I don't know if any of you guys have a local speed shop around you that rebuilds high performance motors, and if so, alot of those shops have hot acid dipping tanks. I take all of my smaller parts to them and they dip them in the tank for me overnight. When they come out, you air dry them with the compressor, go over them lightly with #0000 steel whool, and they are ready for primer. I think the last time I took parts down for a complete John Deere 112 (no frame, tranny, or engine) it cost me around $85.00. It's quicker and the money isn't bad, especially when you consider how much time it takes to strip the parts by hand, and the cost of wire wheels or sandpaper. Just my two cents worth.

My local speed shop also has a cold acid dipping tank for aluminum parts such as carbs and heads. Get's them real clean. If something doesn't get completely clean, they hit it with the glass beader. Again, just my opinion.

Troy