#1 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:54 AM

hello
when tractor is running i'm getting a negative reading on my amp meter. so started trouble shooting. with battery disconnected, and key is turned on i'm getting a reading from + terminal to ground and key turned off no reading. thinking i got a short? or key switch is bad? would a bad stater or rectifier give a ground reading? going crazy need help Tyler

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Which Tractor is it? Does it have a big "Box" style regulator or the electronic style?

#3 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:20 AM

it's on the snapper 1650, electronic style

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:34 AM

I don't own anything with the electronic. I would assume there would be at least some current draw (continuity) from + to gnd with the key on, probably coil or even the gen windings.

:anyone:

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:43 AM

How's the battery voltage before you start the motor compaired to while it's running ? Did you see if there is a wiring diagram for your tractor , maybe there's a fuse or bad connection somewhere that would be hard to find without one , Al

#6 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:46 AM

How's the battery voltage before you start the motor compaired to while it's running ? Did you see if there is a wiring diagram for your tractor , maybe there's a fuse or bad connection somewhere that would be hard to find without one , Al

this is all based on the fuse (or fuses) being good:
i would take a reading off the battery while the engine is not running, key in the off possition. then take one while the engine is running. the voltage should be higher than it is while not running. this is the first test i always do before checking anything else. i've seen way to many ammeters acting up and giving false readings to trust them in any sence. then, i go and look for a reading right off the voltage regulator at the connector while the engine is running to see if i have over 12 volts being delivered from there. you need to make a jumper as the regulator won't energize unless it's hooked up to a battery. if you get a reading less than the expected voltage from the reg., you need a new reg.. also, look for split or broken wires on these. the age of the tractor is making this a more common problem when it comes to charging issues.:smile1:

#7 wheelhorse2 OFFLINE  

wheelhorse2

• Member No: 3953
  • 4 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:55 AM

I would check all the lead wires running to the regulator, and stator ring. Then, take a multi-meter to the battery, and set the meter on 20V DC, and start the tractor. If you get a negative reading on the meter, check to see if you have reversed connections on the Amp gauge, or dirty connections, as this will cause the gauge to read falsely. Most likely, your regulator has gone bad, they dont last forever. I had this same problem with my Cub Cadet 124, and replacing the Amp Gauge and regulator did the trick. Try what i mentioned, it may or may not help, just suggestions.

#8 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 04:11 PM

thanks for the help, did all the tests and found out the regulator is bad. I took apart the key switch and what a pain in the @#@@# that is to put back together. thanks again Tyler

#9 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:32 PM

I had a solid state regulator on my MF14 quit once. The regulator terminals had rusted. I cleaned the terminals, put wires back on, & sprayed Bat terminal protector on the terminals. It worked just fine after that :smile1:.

#10 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:57 PM

anytime I get a discharging while it is running the first thing I check is the regulator

#11 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 11:25 AM

thats after I check and clean all connections