6 replies to this topic

#1 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Putting together a "mutt" tractor and I've always been very fond of the wheel horse frame design. I do not currently have a wheel horse but I would like to know what the thickness and width / height of the frame is ....

I want to say its 2"x2"x3/16" but that's just a guess from memory. If anyone could give me any ideas - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks JRK

#2 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:39 AM

One of the 20 viewers have to be less than a 100 yards from any multitude of Wheel Horses. Would you help a fellow GT'er out and measure one of your frames?

Thanks!

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:33 AM

:wave: jrk Welcome to GTTalk! Sorry that I missed this thread yesterday. You are correct about the 2" X 2" part, but the one that I measured was 1/4" thick. It's off of a C-165. The width of the frame rails is 6 3/4" with the bracket at the rear where the transaxle mounts being an even 7" wide and 6 3/4" tall. The overall length of the frame without the 'tach-a-matic bracket on the front, but including the transaxle mount is 36 1/2". I took some comparison measurements from a frame off of a 414-8 and they seem to be the same. I've included some pics, but couldn't run the camera and the tape at the same time in most of them LOL. The frame in the pics is upside-down just FYI.

DSCN3080.jpg

The first pic is the 'tach-a-matic bracket that is excluded from the measurements. The last shot is a close up of the bracket that the transaxle mounts to. Hope these help you out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3079.jpg
  • DSCN3075.jpg
  • DSCN3078.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#4 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thanks a lot Caseguy! That's exactly what I needed. When I finish up my frame design I'll post it up here for a few other members to see.

Thanks Again!

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Glad that I could help jrk! I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with!

#6 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 01:55 PM

In case anyone is looking at building their own frame you can judge the relative strength of the frame by comparing the moment of inertia for a given shape (given the same material and loading). In this case I'll be using 4x3x1/4 angle iron which will allow me approximately 3.5x strength of a stock power king frame 2.25x1.5x.1875 boxed.

I could go smaller and thicker metal but I like the stregth to dollar ratio of the 4x3x1/4 compared to say a 3x2x3/8. If anyone is interested you can look up a lot of MOI values online or calculate them yourself. No need for a fancy software program.
  • caseguy said thank you

#7 kcgjbarnes OFFLINE  

kcgjbarnes

• Member No: 7079
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 12:13 AM

looks to be in mighty rough shape honestly...