Thought I'd share some pics with you guys from chopping silage

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  nra1ifer 
#1 ·

And my favorite

See less See more
#5 ·
johnboggs21 said:
no problem, i thought for sure olcowhand would have posted on this by now lol
I'm here! That's chopping on a lot bigger scale than us! Do you run multiple choppers? How many cows do you milk, and whereabouts you farm?
I asked on another thread, but may have missed the answer, but are those blocks 3x3x?, as they look larger than my 2x2x6 blocks?
Where you are dumping, I see no wall on this side, or is it just that wide I can't see the other side?
I could ask questions all day! lol

#8 ·
olcowhand said:
I'm here! That's chopping on a lot bigger scale than us! Do you run multiple choppers? How many cows do you milk, and whereabouts you farm?
I asked on another thread, but may have missed the answer, but are those blocks 3x3x?, as they look larger than my 2x2x6 blocks?
Where you are dumping, I see no wall on this side, or is it just that wide I can't see the other side?
I could ask questions all day! lol
Nope just one chopper, 4 rows at a time. Shes a New Holland 1915(?) I think. Milkin about 120 holstiens up here in Michigan. The other wall is there, you just cant see it in any of the pictures. Ill post some more later. To be honest with you Id have to go measure the blocks to be for sure. Let me tell ya, we had a lot of silage when we were done. That bunk was FULL and then some.

#9 ·
You must have more than one truck then, chopping direct to the truck like that. We just chop 2 rows at a time with a pull type New Holland 790, with a Badger dump wagon & 2 ton GMC Topkick truck. We're down at 74 cows right now. Usually high 80's to low 90's, but cow losses to heat & culling.
How bout some pics from the front, showing the width of the pits?

#10 ·
We had 2 semis about the same size. The corn was pretty thick this year so it was slow going in order to keep from plugging the chopper. Usually was bouncing back and forth from 1st to 2nd in the truck. Theirs some BIG farmers that have a huge chopper that live nearby. Their trucks usually run in 5th gear while getting loaded! I think I have some pics from the front. Ill have to see if I can find them.

#14 ·
Is there another section of wall between the fresh & old silage? Can't figure how you could feed that old out that way if it's one single wide pit. That fresh part is a pretty wide area. Keep your farm pics coming. I like looking at pics of other dairies.

#17 ·
Here are some pictures from a relative's dairy operation in west Texas. Chopping triticale last year... Thought you might like to see more pictures of that kind of work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.