Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel weights - questions before i buy - will these fit?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• Member No: 5968
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 01:16 PM

(pardon my misspelling in the subject line - apparently you can edit anything but the subject line)

I was wondering if someone can help me figure out if the wheel weights that I am looking at will fit my tractor. They're off a 318 and I have a 212 - the seller says they should fit most 12" wheels. I'm new to the Deere and would appreciate a more experienced opinion.

Also, I'm wondering what there should be for attaching hardware. It looks like 4 bolts (and I am assuming that there are nuts on them but you can tell from the pics).

Thanks in advance!

john deere wheel weights - 318 - 12in.jpg

Edited by MH81, October 20, 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 01:39 PM

They don't look like the typical weights for JD 12" rims, but if they indeed came off 12" rims, then they will fit your rims. Yes, appears as all mounting hardware is there.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I recently discovered that the spacing of the weight mounting bolts on my 314 wheels is about 1/4" shorter than on the 2005 x475 I used to have. Both were 12" but the 475 had 26x12/12's so the rims were wider. I made weight brackets for the 475 and they are not a direct fit on the older rims! I was surprised by this but it is possible that the 314 does not have the factory wheels. If there was a change in the bolt pattern maybe someone here knows when that took place.

#4 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the information, I may take a wheel along with me. Can anyone help me assess the value of a set of weights? They were asking $95 for the set. Thanks again!

#5 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:09 PM

I think Those are the cast Iron wheel weights I think they should fit on your 212:thumbs:

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:18 PM

$95 is a good price for the buyer!

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 07:56 AM

I have a similar pair off of my dad's 318 and mine are plastic filled with concrete. I had them on my RF 110 last winter without problem. They should work for you. I would suggest flipping the wheels to the wide position if they are not already that way.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the information, I may take a wheel along with me. Can anyone help me assess the value of a set of weights? They were asking $95 for the set. Thanks again!

The weight does come into play here, as I kinda have a mental rule... Right or wrong, I try to stay below $0.60 per pound. I may have to raise that some in my head due to scrap being up.

If they are OEM JD weights, that has to count for something to a JD owner, personally, I would try to get him down a little. If they are 50 lbs each, JD OEM, and in as nice a condition as they look... I may be able to convince myself that 80-85 is fair.

I bought a pair of 50# rough cast no name for 32 cents per pound and a pair of 25 #ers for $20 this spring.

#9 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thank you for your help everyone. I have decided to pick these weights up.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:05 AM

They are in very good condition. Adding weight will make a huge difference when you are plowing.

#11 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Picking them up tomorrow. Now I just need to get some superlug tires so I don't chew my driveway up withe chains.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'd check with others before changing from turfs to AG's to plow a paved driveway. I have a gravel driveway so I don't know about paved, but AG's are not good on ice and turfs are better if you need to use chains, even occasionally. I really don't think chains on a GT will tear up a paved driveway. They may mark up the sealer a bit but you won't do any serious damage. There are times when only chains will do to get you to the top of a hill. You could pick up a set and use them only when you need them.

#13 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll probably start another thread on that question but I got the idea from watching some youtube vids. I was lucky to have the tractor come with chains but, as I mentioned, I'm concerned with damaging the driveway with them.... of course my neighbor's bobcat with tracks didn't cause any damage worth noting.

#14 guglielmo69 OFFLINE  

guglielmo69

• Member No: 4109
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 04:54 PM

the arnt to bad on the driveway just dont set in one place spinning trying to move more than the tractor can handle

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll probably start another thread on that question but I got the idea from watching some youtube vids. I was lucky to have the tractor come with chains but, as I mentioned, I'm concerned with damaging the driveway with them.... of course my neighbor's bobcat with tracks didn't cause any damage worth noting.

A bobcat looks small but they are very heavy compared to a GT. Some can weigh 5000lbs+. If it had chains and didn't damage the driveway then your GT never will. Conditions for snow removal are so variable that it is hard to give advice. Every storm and every driveway are different. I can not get by without chains. If you are paved and don't have a hill to deal with you can probably get by most of the time without them and just install them when you need them.