• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:28 AM

Just got caught up on this (thanks for the update)
Nice that history is being restored with the truck.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Good to see some progress.

• MFDAC said thank you

#63 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted July 04, 2016 - 09:10 PM

One more update, the pressure washer valve body came in Saturday afternoon so I thought yesterday would be a great time to do the washing of the rug and the truck. Well our 2 month drought broke, and we got well over an inch and a quarter rain and hail. Finally today the Jimmy was outside for a few hours for the first time in 8 years, and my wife was happy her utility room rug is clean. I got the distributor built with the new Pertronix Saturday night while watching the race, (girls were at the lake) and plopped it in the engine yesterday. I had to cram our daughters new suv in the shop too so it wouldn't get hail damage already so things were tight and loud out in the work bay with the rain and intermittent hail for several hours yesterday.

Hope everyone had a great Independence Day!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Pertronix 005.jpg
  • Pertronix 002.jpg
  • Pertronix 003.jpg
  • Pertronix 004.jpg
  • Outside 002.jpg
  • Outside 001.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#64 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 09:03 PM

I had forgotten to say that a couple months ago I sold the little GMC Sonoma to help pay for the Jimmy's engine project, taking me down to 3 GMCs. Well due to my wife we went back up to 4 GMCs again! She had been wanting a bigger used suv and she had been casually checking into Suburbans for quite some time. Earlier this week she pushed me to do some research and we got it narrowed down. Just by accident the we ended up getting not a Suburban but a 2006 GMC Yukon Denali. It is a little older than we were looking for but it had lower miles than newer ones we could find in our price range. It's been a long time since we had this type of vehicle and I gotta say that I like it so much better than the 2010 Dodge Journey we traded in. The comfort level is way nicer and the ride is also. Even though older, at 90,000 the Denali has 12,000 miles less on it than the Journey did.

Here's pics

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006 GMC Yukon Denali 006.jpg
  • 2006 GMC Yukon Denali 003.jpg
  • 2006 GMC Yukon Denali 004.jpg
  • 2006 GMC Yukon Denali 005.jpg

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#65 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:49 AM

My wife drives a Suburban. Other than your has the 6.0 (Sub has 5.3), they're pretty much the same thing. They are great vehicles. Amazing to travel in. You won't want anything else. Nice purchase. Ours is up to 173k now and still looks and drives like new.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • MFDAC said thank you

#66 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 12:14 PM

My wife drives a Suburban. Other than your has the 6.0 (Sub has 5.3), they're pretty much the same thing. They are great vehicles. Amazing to travel in. You won't want anything else. Nice purchase. Ours is up to 173k now and still looks and drives like new.

Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for boosting my confidence a bit on the longevity of these trucks. Since the newest truck I own is a 1972, I'm out of touch on these "new" ones--LOL!

Yes 6.0, was hoping to find a 5.3 but everything with the smaller engine we ran across had way more miles and about the same price. What little I have driven it I can tell right away that it's the most comfortable vehicle I have ever sat in. We will be taking it to Denver, CO in a few weeks, about a six hour drive so that will be the first real comfort test.

I spent last night trying to figure out how to activate the satellite radio but the setup icon doesn't respond. No radio/dvd/gps manual so I have to download Pioneer's 96 page one to figure it out.

DAC

#67 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hi Eric, thanks for boosting my confidence a bit on the longevity of these trucks. Since the newest truck I own is a 1972, I'm out of touch on these "new" ones--LOL!

Yes 6.0, was hoping to find a 5.3 but everything with the smaller engine we ran across had way more miles and about the same price. What little I have driven it I can tell right away that it's the most comfortable vehicle I have ever sat in. We will be taking it to Denver, CO in a few weeks, about a six hour drive so that will be the first real comfort test.

I spent last night trying to figure out how to activate the satellite radio but the setup icon doesn't respond. No radio/dvd/gps manual so I have to download Pioneer's 96 page one to figure it out.

DAC

I can't help you much on that. We have the rear DVD system but no navigation and the factory Bose system which sounds excellent. First thing I did was change all the fluids in ours. Seems people forget the front and rear diffs. Plus the transfer case. Get the fluid from GM for the transfer case. It's actually an automatic with clutches. Needs a certain fluid instead of gear oil as its more like a transmission as opposed to a gearbox like my HD. I used gear oil in the front and rear diffs with LSD additive. Not really expensive and they're all real easy to change. Just keep the oil changed in the engine and it'll last 300k+ as long as itstands cared for. Gas mileage is not exactly great but decent for a vehicle that size. We get about 17 highway at 65. Pretty good for a 6000 lbs. box haha.

Eric

• MFDAC said thank you

#68 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I can't help you much on that. We have the rear DVD system but no navigation and the factory Bose system which sounds excellent. First thing I did was change all the fluids in ours. Seems people forget the front and rear diffs. Plus the transfer case. Get the fluid from GM for the transfer case. It's actually an automatic with clutches. Needs a certain fluid instead of gear oil as its more like a transmission as opposed to a gearbox like my HD. I used gear oil in the front and rear diffs with LSD additive. Not really expensive and they're all real easy to change. Just keep the oil changed in the engine and it'll last 300k+ as long as itstands cared for. Gas mileage is not exactly great but decent for a vehicle that size. We get about 17 highway at 65. Pretty good for a 6000 lbs. box haha.

Eric

Thanks for the advice Eric, i will probably round up the right lubes and do all that some weekend at work as we have a hoist there. Maintenance manual says 100,000 for all that stuff. I'm not familiar with "LSD" additive but I knew hippies in high school that added it to their diet---LOL! 3,000 miles or once a year is my oil change habit. Nice to be able to talk to someone with a similar truck.

This stereo is the Bose setup too, and it does sound great! It also has a rear dvd player that is tied in with the stereo.

DAC

• dropped82 said thank you

#69 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:34 AM

nice 'Burb!

My buddy is a manager at a Fait and GM used lot. He gets to drive home the trade ins, he always picks the Denali Burb or Tahoe/Yukons if one is on the lot.

When you wife gets tired of the 'Burb, pull the 6.0, cam, heads, good tune, maybe some force induction and drop that in the Blazer, woohoo, that would be a wicked ride! 

• MFDAC and dropped82 have said thanks

#70 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 08:04 PM

nice 'Burb!

My buddy is a manager at a Fait and GM used lot. He gets to drive home the trade ins, he always picks the Denali Burb or Tahoe/Yukons if one is on the lot.

When you wife gets tired of the 'Burb, pull the 6.0, cam, heads, good tune, maybe some force induction and drop that in the Blazer, woohoo, that would be a wicked ride! 

Hi Marty, thanks for the comment! I don't own a Blazer---it's a GMC Jimmy----LOL! Actually the Jimmy is much less common especially in 1970, the first year of the Jimmy. Oh I don't think my wife will get tired of it, but our plan is for her to drive our daughter's old Camry to work to keep miles off the Yukon. We will use it most on trips and vacations. I normally drive the '55 or '72 to work but sometimes I take the old Camry when I know work is gonna suck and I want A/C going home like today!

As far as engine swap, the Jimmy is going to stay as close to the way Mom drove it as possible. Pic is the engine going in it. i still have to blast and paint the air cleaner, working on plug wire routing right now. It won't ever be resto-modded until after I croak. Now the'55 might be fun though---

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 7-20-16.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, July 21, 2016 - 06:35 PM.

• tiretrx, dropped82, UncleWillie and 1 other said thanks

#71 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 04:36 PM

wow the engine looks brand new
  • MFDAC said thank you