#31 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:51 PM

nice old trucks. I would love to have either 70-72 jimmy or 73-76 Jimmy, I'm hooked on the "suv's" for some reason.

• MFDAC said thank you

#32 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yeah I think it was an Olds based tranny and only available with a V-8, it was called simply "hydromatic". The V-8 engines were from Pontiac.

Someone put that 283 in that '67 GMC as no V-8s of any kind were offered in GMC's in that year so who knows how many miles were on it before! I have had 283's go many more miles than that, you just couldn't kill those little V-8s unless you just flat run 'em out of oil. Even the 350's could get a pile of miles in the early '70s. Mom's 1970 Jimmy had 156,000 on it when she thought the engine was blowing up, making a banging noise. Not using any oil and running great. My brother in law gave her a car as she was struggling to get in the 4x4 at almost 70 years old anyway. She gave me the Jimmy and when I pulled the engine it was the flex plate that had broken, not something in the engine. I would have trusted that engine another 100,000!

I have a '67 GMC sales brochure so here is a pic of the last page. 6 cylinder engines was all you could get in them, inline or V-6 both available.

Later---DAC

I dont know enough about the history to throw the BS flag on this one, but I can add this: the exhaust was rusted out and and appeared to be stock when I bought it in '1980. If it wasnt stock, the baling wire and duct tape kind of farmer I bought it from did a hell of a job on the engine swap. The small back window confirms the 1967 production date as far as I know, unless they did a 66.5 or a 67.5 that I dont know about.

#33 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not BS but you can call it whatever you wish. It is a very simple swap to put the stuff from a Chevy into the GMC, and it did happen a lot, and still does. The V-6 wasn't that popular in the 70s and many were pulled for V-8s.

13 years old when you got it, that's plenty of time for a couple exhaust systems. I will post the pic of the cover of that brochure, and the date code on the brochure. It decodes as July 1966 which would have to be done for the release of the 1967 model.

Attached Thumbnails

• 67GMC brochure 001.jpg
  • 67GMC brochure date.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, January 30, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#34 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:34 PM

You supplied the documentation to prove that a 283 should not be in the truck and it may or may not be OEM, either way now I am thinking I should have not sold it.

• MFDAC said thank you

#35 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:39 PM

nice old trucks. I would love to have either 70-72 jimmy or 73-76 Jimmy, I'm hooked on the "suv's" for some reason.

You can find a lot more Blazers than Jimmys yet but they seem to be getting more valuable all the time. I really need to get done screwing around with the '55 and just drive it the way it is for awhile and focus back on Mom's 1970 Jimmy. It is tough sometimes working on it tho, since it represents over 40 years of our life. Mom passed away in 2009.

Thanks for the interest folks!---DAC

#36 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:55 PM

imagesCAMMIB5A.jpg

2007 Sierra Classic Ext Cab Z71. Sport Red with 41,000 miles. Great truck!

• MFDAC said thank you

#37 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:10 AM

The 250 and 292 motors were both Chevy, the 305 and 351 V6 were both GMC. I do know that in 1954 Chevy offered an Automatic. Tranny behind a 235, I saw one years ago. I also saw a 1959 Chevy with and same setup. Both were factory.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#38 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:53 AM

Well I worked for GMC for many years and loved them ...and still do to a point, Chevy on the other hand.... I worked on them and was able to see suttle differences between them that made a GMC a touch above. Well I went to work for Chevrolet.... 1 year and 4 months later I will NEVER EVER BY A CHEVROLET PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE!! This is why I now drive a Toyota Tundra and to be honest ! I really miss my '99 GMC ! If it had not sucummed to natures wrath I would definitely still be driving it!! When we parted it was still getting18 plus mile to the gallon and ran flawless. I just could not stop the rust... it consumed the frame and he broke in half ( sniff, tears) .
Some day iI may find another one I like but for now... its my Toymotor ....
  • MFDAC and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#39 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for sharing, just found this thread. Still rattling around  with my 93 s10Blazer rust magnet @198,000mi. They're getting scarce @ the junkyards for parts. :ah_shoot:

• MFDAC said thank you

#40 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:40 PM

attachicon.gifimagesCAMMIB5A.jpg

2007 Sierra Classic Ext Cab Z71. Sport Red with 41,000 miles. Great truck!

Yes, I bet it is! Unfortunately the newest vehicle I own is the 1991 GMC Sonoma. Maybe someday I will step into the new millenium!

The 250 and 292 motors were both Chevy, the 305 and 351 V6 were both GMC. I do know that in 1954 Chevy offered an Automatic. Tranny behind a 235, I saw one years ago. I also saw a 1959 Chevy with and same setup. Both were factory.

Yeah that's right on those six bangers. My '55 has a Chevy 230 in it someone transplanted before 1997 sometime as it was abanoned until I got it in 2009. I wouldn't doubt the sixes were also offered with the Hydromatic, but have never seen or read about them. Hey I have some '50s GMC brochures too! I will try to dig them out and find out for sure!

Well I worked for GMC for many years and loved them ...and still do to a point, Chevy on the other hand.... I worked on them and was able to see suttle differences between them that made a GMC a touch above. Well I went to work for Chevrolet.... 1 year and 4 months later I will NEVER EVER BY A CHEVROLET PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE!! This is why I now drive a Toyota Tundra and to be honest ! I really miss my '99 GMC ! If it had not sucummed to natures wrath I would definitely still be driving it!! When we parted it was still getting18 plus mile to the gallon and ran flawless. I just could not stop the rust... it consumed the frame and he broke in half ( sniff, tears) .
Some day iI may find another one I like but for now... its my Toymotor ....

Glad you like GMCs but can't blame you for getting the best deal you could when it rusted away. From what I understand GMC does do some things different to this day. I can't see myself driving a newer Chevy but I wouldn't do a Toyota either- just my personal preference.

Of course since I have 4 GMCs and an '89 Chevy Suburban, usually something will start when I need it!-LOL

Thanks for sharing, just found this thread. Still rattling around  with my 93 s10Blazer rust magnet @198,000mi. They're getting scarce @ the junkyards for parts. :ah_shoot:

You're welcome. This thread was dead for quite awhile. I have been thinkin' about sellin' the '91 Sonoma and getting one of those older S-10 or S-15 Blazers or Jimmy 4X4s. There are still a lot of them around here, priced pretty reasonable, too bad you are so far away.

Later---DAC

• A.C.T. said thank you

#41 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Over the summer I was tempted to pick one up in Washington, Thanks it's good to know, I'll keep that in mind   :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#42 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:46 PM

You supplied the documentation to prove that a 283 should not be in the truck and it may or may not be OEM, either way now I am thinking I should have not sold it.

I just got to thinking tho, that it could be possible that a V-8 may have been a dealer authorized special order? Just because I showed that "standard" equipment brochure doesn't mean some unorthodox orders never happened!

#43 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:32 PM

I just got to thinking tho, that it could be possible that a V-8 may have been a dealer authorized special order? Just because I showed that "standard" equipment brochure doesn't mean some unorthodox orders never happened!

It had the rear leaf springs, which from what I understand , was an upgrade from the truck arm suspension

• MFDAC said thank you

#44 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Nice Jimmy's. Welcome to the site.

• MFDAC said thank you

#45 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:38 PM

It had the rear leaf springs, which from what I understand , was an upgrade from the truck arm suspension

That is another deal where GMC is different than Chevys, GMC offered leaf springs standard, and Chevy offered the trailing arm coil standard. Either would allow an option of either! A coil sprung GMC from the 67-72 era is pretty uncommon, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

I forgot to say earlier that my 50's GMC brochures are for 1 ton and bigger and no automatics on 6 cylinders listed there. They do list a 6 speed automatic in some V-8 powered GMCs in the late 50's.

That certainly doesn't mean an automatic 6 cylinder wasn't available in the 50's.

Edited by MFDAC, January 31, 2013 - 11:20 PM.