#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 07:13 PM

The only thing better than an old deere???
An old GMC...

Glad you like old GMC's! I have never owned an old Deere but I'm sure they are a great tractor. I have 2 old Massey-Furgusons

I like that tractor truck engine.
205 hp @ 1850 rpm
I believe it red lined @ 2100

It really depends on the engine but they definitely weren't known for high revs!

Here is a link that has the torque and horsepower spec's for these old engines.

GMC Big Block V6, V8, & V12 Engine Data

Later---DAC
  • ducky said thank you

#17 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 12:34 PM

I never realized that GMC produced a V-12. My favorite GMC would be a 950 "Cannonball" with a 6-71, although my '01 2500HD is pretty good too. That 6-71 sounded sweet, and it was a great engine to work on. The bad memory was lifting the head off by hand in the small boats in the CG. One time I ended up bruising some chest muscles.

But seeing this is a tractor forum, the ultimate full-size tractor in my opinion is an Oliver Super 99 with a 3-71
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 01:32 PM

That would be a blast to ride in a vehicle powered by a twin six! I've heard they have an incredible sound too. There was 401 and 478 V-6's available in this engine configuration too.

My experience with the GMC Burb was very similar to yours. I remember going rock hunting and fishing in that truck but then about a year after that pic was taken it dissapeared! Well in my case so did Dad. Next time I saw him in 1965 he was driving a 1961 Cadillac convertable and working for General Motors in Flint, Michigan. I asked him about the Burb and he had traded it off for the Caddy:-( Bummed me out bad!

Thanks for the responses!---DAC

Funny you would mention the 478 V6. Just last week my brother was telling about the time he hung one on a chainhoist to test run it before he installed it in Dad's Dump truck. The throttle spring broke and torque rolled up the chain before he could pull the fuel line out of the gas can.
and then rolled right down the chain. It's a wonder with things we've tried over the years anyone lived to tell about it?

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 01:51 PM

GMC also made a 378 and a 451 V6 engine and a Diesel version called a Toroflow, it wa a piece of junk. Their inline motors were 228, 273' and a 302. All were good motors.

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 08:23 PM

I never realized that GMC produced a V-12. My favorite GMC would be a 950 "Cannonball" with a 6-71, although my '01 2500HD is pretty good too. That 6-71 sounded sweet, and it was a great engine to work on. The bad memory was lifting the head off by hand in the small boats in the CG. One time I ended up bruising some chest muscles.

But seeing this is a tractor forum, the ultimate full-size tractor in my opinion is an Oliver Super 99 with a 3-71

Was the "Cannonball" the Cab Over Engine (COE) from 1947 to early 1955? I remember hearing of "Cannonball Baker that won the first "Cannonball Run" about 1927 in a GMC. He hauled water from New York City and dumped it in San Francisco Bay in a very short time, setting a transcontinental record, details escape me right now. The point is I think those trucks were named for him because of the roundness of the cab.

Funny you would mention the 478 V6. Just last week my brother was telling about the time he hung one on a chainhoist to test run it before he installed it in Dad's Dump truck. The throttle spring broke and torque rolled up the chain before he could pull the fuel line out of the gas can.
and then rolled right down the chain. It's a wonder with things we've tried over the years anyone lived to tell about it?

Yeah that is an amazing story of survival there, a loose, extremely heavy, runnin' engine hangin' by a chain! Even after the hose was pulled there's enuff gas in the fuel bowl to still run for a minute or so!

GMC also made a 378 and a 451 V6 engine and a Diesel version called a Toroflow, it wa a piece of junk. Their inline motors were 228, 273' and a 302. All were good motors.

All that was available for my '55 second design was a 248 I-6 and a 288 V-8. Mine got a Chevy 230 from the mid-60s transplanted into it at some time before 1997. It has been my driver 3 or 4 days a week now since shortly after I started this thread. I guess I will show off some pics drivin' it. Took me 2 years to get a title. First 2 pics are driving to work #1 arriving and #2 leaving my driveway. The rest are self-explanitory.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 55-11-22-11 004.jpg
  • 000_0014.jpg
  • 8ball shift knob 005.jpg
  • 55-11-22-11 003.jpg
  • 000_0011.jpg
  • 000_0017.jpg

• daytime dave and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#21 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:10 AM

I believe the "Cannonball" reference came from the Canadian TV series that went by the same name. It was about two over-the-road truck drivers (Mike and Jerry) that drove a 950, hence the "Cannonball" nickname. There are a few old episodes on the internet to enjoy. This preceded "Movin On" with Sonny and Will by probably twenty years!

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Since there isn't much action involving my tractors, I thought I would update a little stuff on my '55 GMC. Still driving it 3 or 4 days a week to work until a week ago when I tore apart the dash to re-face the guages and re-paint the bezels. I decided to paint the dash itself and fix some wiring while it is apart. Still sanding the dash so he ain't re-assembled yet.

Sorry I had to put pic 2 first but I wasn't going to re-write everything since the pics didn't download in the order I wrote!

pic2-discovered that someone had torched the original radiator carriage so bad I had to build and mount a new one and attached the stock sheet metal to it. X-bracing modified from a mid-80's Impala

pic1-the only local radiator shop wanted 500 bucks minimum to repair the radiator so I soldered it myself

pic3-assembly with better grill center bar, hard to find "100" logo that I scored at a local crusher and better valence between the "bumper bullets"

pic4-electric wiper conversion from the rear hatch from the wifes old '97 Caravan

pic5-at work on Jan 13th. Had just installed mirrors from a '64 Chevy pickup, a hood ornament and different wheels and tires. Installed the hood logo a few months ago. All the mounting tabs were broken

pic6-refurbished and repainted guages and bezel ready to install

pic7-guages before 

Attached Thumbnails

• Repair and Testing radiator 012.jpg
  • Repair and Testing radiator 010.jpg
  • Repair and Testing radiator 020.jpg
  • electric wiper conversion 013.jpg
  • At work 1-6-13 003.jpg
  • Guage rebuild 066.jpg
  • dash.jpg

• powerking56, daytime dave, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 05:24 AM

Nice old GMC you have there! Don't see many of them!

• MFDAC said thank you

#24 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Nice GMCs.  Thanks for those great photographs.

• MFDAC said thank you

#25 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Nice truck!!! You did a great job on those gauges. They look great.

• MFDAC said thank you

#26 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 29, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I had a '67 GMC back in high school (not a new one.. I aint that old :rolling: ). That was back when there was a difference between GMC and Chevy. GMC definatly made a better truck.

I cant imagine driving it now, no power steering, no power brakes, 3 on the tree and 20 gallons of gas right behind the seat. Kinda scary if you stop and think about it.

• MFDAC said thank you

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Nice old GMC you have there! Don't see many of them!

A rough GMC production ratio to Chevys was 4 or 5 Chevys to 1 GMC. I only know of one other '55 or '56 in my area, besides the one I found at the crusher to rob some parts from!

Nice GMCs.  Thanks for those great photographs.

You are welcome- No one will ever use a "this thread is worthless with out pics" icon on me!!--LOL

Nice truck!!! You did a great job on those gauges. They look great.

I appreciate it. The guage resurface kit was only 20 bucks but it is quite a trick to dissassemble the guages and install the new decals, especially on the odometer tumblers. The bigget hurdle was the temp and fuel guages were not GMC ones. they were Stewart Warner and I altered them to look somewhat original before I could re-face them.

I had a '67 GMC back in high school (not a new one.. I aint that old :rolling: ). That was back when there was a difference between GMC and Chevy. GMC definatly made a better truck.

I cant imagine driving it now, no power steering, no power brakes, 3 on the tree and 20 gallons of gas right behind the seat. Kinda scary if you stop and think about it.

Your '67 may have had a V-6? Those were cool trucks! I have been driving trucks with fuel tanks in the cab for ahh--since 1979 so the '72 and '55 having them doesn't worry me. My hot rod friends give me grief because I have no desire to "modernize" the steering, brakes and even get rid of the 4 speed. I have installed all new brakes right down to the lines, but it is still what it had in '55. My main reason for not updating is then I won't have the "time machine" feeling when we drive it around. We- yes the wife is driving it too, put 800 miles on it last year with all manual everything! Hopefully we will put a couple thousand on it this year. We find it fun to actually have to work to drive it!

Thanks everyone!---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, January 29, 2013 - 07:43 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I believe GMC had an automatic back in the 50's. if I remember right, it was a 4 speed from an Oldsmoblie.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#29 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mine had the 283 with 80,000 on it. It doesn't sound like much now but back then that was high mileage for a v8
  • MFDAC said thank you

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:45 PM

I believe GMC had an automatic back in the 50's. if I remember right, it was a 4 speed from an Oldsmoblie.

Yeah I think it was an Olds based tranny and only available with a V-8, it was called simply "hydromatic". The V-8 engines were from Pontiac.

Mine had the 283 with 80,000 on it. It doesn't sound like much now but back then that was high mileage for a v8

Someone put that 283 in that '67 GMC as no V-8s of any kind were offered in GMC's in that year so who knows how many miles were on it before! I have had 283's go many more miles than that, you just couldn't kill those little V-8s unless you just flat run 'em out of oil. Even the 350's could get a pile of miles in the early '70s. Mom's 1970 Jimmy had 156,000 on it when she thought the engine was blowing up, making a banging noise. Not using any oil and running great. My brother in law gave her a car as she was struggling to get in the 4x4 at almost 70 years old anyway. She gave me the Jimmy and when I pulled the engine it was the flex plate that had broken, not something in the engine. I would have trusted that engine another 100,000!

I have a '67 GMC sales brochure so here is a pic of the last page. 6 cylinder engines was all you could get in them, inline or V-6 both available.

Later---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 67GMC brochure last pagecropped.jpg