16 replies to this topic

#1 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• Member No: 5968
  • 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Here's my first post :)

Just got home with my John Deere 212 with a 46" deck and a snowblower. Quite a change from my lightweight Craftsman LT1000.

Can't wait to learn a little more about my new toy and how to get the most out of it.

#2 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Welcome to the forums. I have a 214 that I really like. I also just purchased a Deere model 37a snow blower.

Jeff

#3 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I picked this up because of the blower - last winter in upstate NY we were pounded and my little 24" snowblower didn't do well with the 400' driveway in my new house. It was a bonus that the mower deck was bigger than my craftsman.... but i am mowing about 4 acres with either a 42" or 46" - either way I need to do something better with the mower.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Welcome! I'll loan you my 68. Has a whopping 30" cut. You could tie it to the side of your tractor and cut 76".

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 08:27 PM

:welcometogttalk:

My father has had a jd212 w/snowblower and 46" deck for about 15 years and it has been a great GT. My dad drives truck during the week so I stop on my way home from work and do a lot of snowblowing for my mother in the winter with the 212. We are also in upstate ny and did get pounded pretty good last winter. Wheel weights and tire chains are a must for blowing, especially a 400ft driveway. I would also suggest loading the rear tires.

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 08:45 PM

:welcome: I'm glad you found the site. I see some of the members are already giving you some good advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We have some really great members willing to share information.

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi spatter1, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it and get everything you need out of it! There aren't to many questions that can't be answered here. Hope to meet you at a show sometime, and good luck on the 212. I just restored an '84 212 last summer for a friend, and I found it hard to return. They are a well made tractor. You should have lot's of fun with it.

Troy

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to the GTTalk. Congratulations on the tractor and blower. Hey, I hear you on the small snowblower. That's what started me on tractors. I had a 5hp 24" blower and back in 2004 we got 3ft of snow in one storm. I never want to repeat that experience again. At least 10 hrs to do the 300ft. And that was going out during the storm to try to keep up with it. I now mostly plow, but have a commercial grade Ariens walk behind blower for really heavy stuff and as backup. I am looking for a blower for my 314 or for the rear pto of my 2320. The 200 series were well built tractors and should serve you well. If you have any questions about maintenance or repairs please post them. There are quite a few 200 series owners here.

#9 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Welcome Here’s a quick run down Barrowed from another forum
1975-1987 JD210, 212, 214 (10-14 hp) Vari-speed gear drive, manual lift standard, electric & hydraulic lift optional (replaced 110 & 112)
And since Your getting Into a Great Garden tractor series I suggest a Few Links to Keep a hold Of for Parts and attachments & decals
JD Bone Yards

Home Page J D Lawn Tractor
TractorSalesAndParts.com - Hundreds of Used Tractors & Parts!

JD Decals & other odds & ends

HAPCO
Again Welcome:thumbs:

• spatter1 said thank you

#10 spatter1 OFFLINE  

spatter1

• 0 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:52 PM

@JDBrian - My wife was 8 months pregnant and we were dumped on with over 2 feet. I was out there for over 6 hours and didn't get the driveway clear. I was lucky to have a neighbor with a bobcat come over and bail us out. The neighbor is a nice guy and all but I feel better about having my own equipment.

#11 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 09:41 PM

If you go to our manual's section you will find the service manual, two different operator's manuals (based on serial numbers), parts catalog, manuals on the 43 blade and the 39 & 47 decks.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 06:10 AM

@JDBrian - My wife was 8 months pregnant and we were dumped on with over 2 feet. I was out there for over 6 hours and didn't get the driveway clear. I was lucky to have a neighbor with a bobcat come over and bail us out. The neighbor is a nice guy and all but I feel better about having my own equipment.

Yes, I agree, it is nice to be independent. In my neighbourhood just about everyone has a walk behind snow blower. I loan mine out to neighbours when they have breakdowns which happens quite often. One thing to watch out for is those flyer packs that they throw into your driveway every week. If you get those at your house watch out because they can do a real job on a blower. They get jammed between the case and the impeller and in some cases can bend the impeller shaft and are very difficult to remove. This has happened twice to my neighbours in the last 3 years.
I could not believe the difference when I switched to a larger blower. It was the top model in the Ariens line at the time. It is 11.5hp and only 28" wide with a cast iron transmission for the impeller and it is difficult to stop. It cut the blowing time to 1/3.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 07:04 AM

spatter1,welcome to the forum,glad to have you with us.

#14 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:09 AM

My first was a 212 ,great tractors ,it started me on my addiction to these little guys
Lots of options for them and attachments.Plus lots of parts around if needed

#15 DHCowboy OFFLINE  

DHCowboy

• Member No: 6112
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hiya!
Just found me a nice little 212 as well.. congrats on yours! Anyone know where a guy might find a decent used basic snow blower that'd mount to this critter? And the model number of any such animal? Seems to be something worth finding...
Thanks!