Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote For Feature Tractor April 2020

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Feature Tractor For April 2020 (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tractor should we feature?

1. McLean by Achto (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. Bolens 1053 by 29 Chev (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote

#1 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 8266 Thanks
  • 5684 posts

Posted March 02, 2020 - 04:54 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of April has now officially started and will end the last day of March. This month's theme is "before and after".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of April and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 2 nominations this month.

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.   Good Luck to all the entrants!

Let the Voting Begin!

• propane1, 29 Chev, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#2 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 848 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted March 02, 2020 - 11:37 PM

I would like to nominate my McLean tractor. While I was working on a deal for a Wheel Horse Suburban, I spotted a tractor that I was unable to identify. The owner did not know much about the tractor either. He told me that when he found the tractor it was in a creek with only the steering wheel sticking out of the water. He pulled it out of the creek and it sat had outside on his property for about 12+ yrs. Pictures of the tractor sitting  where I first seen it.

mclean10.jpg

mclean11.jpg

One year later I contacted the owner to see if he would be willing to sell the tractor, we came to an agreement on a price and it was up to me to do the research to find out what I had just purchased. After searching pictures on the internet off and on for about a week I was finally able to put a name on the tractor. Now that I had a name for the tractor it was time to find a source for parts to restore it. Well there was no source for parts or even much for information on the tractor period. With help from friends, many hours researching what little information I could find, and even more hours reproducing the parts that I needed to restore this tractor to nearly new condition. I am quite happy with the end result.

IMG_20190428_141903657-min.jpg

IMG_20190428_141827525-min.jpg

IMG_20190428_141753242-min.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article
  • olcowhand, DMAX, DougT and 12 others have said thanks

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 18838 Thanks
  • 6341 posts

Posted March 03, 2020 - 09:15 AM

If I may I would like to place my Bolens 1053 up for nomination.  It was originally purcahsed as a parts tractor and it had seen a lot of modifications since it left the Bolens factory to begin its life.  When I purchased it the tractor was missing a lot of parts as well which appeared to have been removed as the modifications / changes occurred.  Someone had extended the frame to allow a larger engine to be mounted on it, added a second lift lever on the left side, cut pieces out of the fender pan around the transmission shifter area and cut both the panels that cover the frame tubes.  The tractor arrived with no engine, no hood and needed a lot of TLC since it had seen very little love in the last few years before I saw it.

I walked by the tractor every once in a while and thought about it over the course of a couple of years and after learning that this model of tractor was only produced for one year at the beginning of the 1970's I just didn't have the heart to let it sit in its neglected state.  I had a TRA-10D Wisconsin engine that I had removed from a Bolens 1050 (which was also the engine used on the 1053 model) and was able to purchase a used 1050 hood which was similar to the original hood except it had a cut out on the right side for the exhaust exit.  Some of the other missing sheet metal items were made as well as some of the mechanical items required to return the tractor to its present state so it could once again feel loved and be useful.  The pieces that were cut out around the shifter area were cut and formed from heavy gauge sheet steel and welded to the original fender.  The hole for the exhaust in the hood was filled in with new steel and the engine was given an overhaul with a new piston, rod and valves - the block was bored to accept the new piston and the crankshaft was turned as well.  The seat was recovered by me with the rear part getting the "Bolens" name sewn into it to make it resemble the original which had the "Bolens" name heat pressed and formed into the material.  The engine received an upgrade to electronic ignition using a GM crank sensor and 4 pin module and also now sports an electronic voltage / current regulator which is housed inside an original mechanical regulator body.  While the tractor is not 100% original it still looks very similar to what an original 1053 would look like when it left the Bolens factory.

Thank you for looking and good luck to all entrants.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8 Before Picture.jpg
  • 9 Before Picture.jpg
  • 10 Before Picture.jpg
  • 11 Before Picture.jpg
  • 12 Before Picture.jpg
  • 13 Before Picture.jpg
  • 1 After Picture.jpg
  • 2 After Picture.jpg
  • 3 After Picture.jpg
  • 4 After Picture.jpg
  • 5 After Picture.jpg
  • 6 After Picture.jpg
  • 7 After Picture.jpg

• olcowhand, DMAX, DougT and 11 others have said thanks

#4 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8266 Thanks
  • 5684 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 02:04 PM

Voting is officially open for April's feature tractor. Should be an interesting month. Good Luck to both.

• propane1, 29 Chev, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#5 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 18838 Thanks
  • 6341 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 11:02 AM

And so once more the monthly race has begun

Could be a landslide victory when all is said and done

Achto's McLean is off and has a six to one lead

May have to try and locate a faster gear for my steed

• propane1, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12651 Thanks
  • 5682 posts

Posted March 24, 2020 - 08:54 AM

Time is passing, get your vote in. One fella is behind and one is ahead. 

Noel 

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 12651 Thanks
  • 5682 posts

Posted March 27, 2020 - 07:52 AM

Time is passing, get your vote in. One fella is behind and one is ahead. 

Noel 

• DougT and KennyP have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 12651 Thanks
  • 5682 posts

Posted March 30, 2020 - 05:42 AM

Stew, your gunna have to come up with some creative ways to gain some votes here. Times runnin out.

Voting time is getting short. Get them in today.

Noel
  • KennyP, 29 Chev, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#9 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 18838 Thanks
  • 6341 posts

Posted March 30, 2020 - 07:15 AM

Stew, your gunna have to come up with some creative ways to gain some votes here. Times runnin out.

Noel

Not getting too excited about it - better to be in second place than not finish.

• DougT, KennyP, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8266 Thanks
  • 5684 posts

Posted April 02, 2020 - 11:41 AM

Congrats to Achto on the win and thanks to Stu for the entry.

• DMAX, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 3 others have said thanks