• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Using the CODE# of the engine, the 1st two digits is the year. The second set of two numbers designates the month, with the 3rd set of 2 digits designating the day of the month built. Any digits after that designate the plant & line it was built on.

This doesn't work on the earliest Briggs engines.
  • Bolens 1000, mjodrey, Toolpartzman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:10 PM

O.K. I admit my ignorance :( I thought all Briggs had these numbers stamped in the flywheel cover up on the head end :confuse: I'm cleaning up a Briggs from sometime in the 60's (I hope) and can't seem to find any such stamping. Have I just always worked on newer stuff ? How do I figure out what I've got without those numbers ? This came as a spare with a 64 Bolens 600, but that really doesn't mean anything after all these years either. It physically appears to be a 6 - 8 HP ( comparing it to my blown Panzer block) with a belt driven starter/generator and pull start ring for back up. The driving side of the crank is exactly what I need to attach my Panzer drive pully. Want to gather up gaskets, seals and such before pulling it all apart.
Help ? Anybody ?

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have a couple Briggs with the numbers down the side of the flywheel shroud, down around under the air filter. Mine had been painted over to where I had to remove the paint to read them.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:32 PM

I had wiped it clean and was wondering about the paint issue. When I go back out I guess I'll put the wire wheel to it and see if anything shows up under the paint. I'll let you know. thanks for the response.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:53 PM

O.K. I admit my ignorance :( I thought all Briggs had these numbers stamped in the flywheel cover up on the head end :confuse: I'm cleaning up a Briggs from sometime in the 60's (I hope) and can't seem to find any such stamping. Help ? Anybody ?

The following info applies to B&S aluminum block horizontal crankshaft engines. ....The cast-iron engines usually had different locations for the engine numbers.

The early (1960's) 6hp B&S horizontal crankshaft engines had the model, type, and serial numbers stamped into an aluminum plate approx 3" square, which was attached to the rear of the engine over the cooling fins.

The next generation of (6-8 hp) B&S horizontals had the engine numbers stamped into the side of the blower housing near the carburetor/air filter.

The next generation had the engine numbers stamped into the top of the blower housing on the flat part in front of the spark plug.

I believe newer engines had the numbers stamped into the front of the blower housing above the flywheel.
  • caseguy and jpackard56 have said thanks

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 08:22 PM

The following info applies to B&S aluminum block horizontal crankshaft engines. ....The cast-iron engines usually had different locations for the engine numbers.

The early (1960's) 6hp B&S horizontal crankshaft engines had the model, type, and serial numbers stamped into an aluminum plate approx 3" square, which was attached to the rear of the engine over the cooling fins.

The next generation of (6-8 hp) B&S horizontals had the engine numbers stamped into the side of the blower housing near the carburetor/air filter.

The next generation had the engine numbers stamped into the top of the blower housing on the flat part in front of the spark plug.

I believe newer engines had the numbers stamped into the front of the blower housing above the flywheel.

Well at this point I KNOW it is not on the blower cover. Too darn cold to go back out tonight, supposed to be warmer Monday I'll give it another go. Thanks for the help.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:04 PM

I just got done working on an older horizontal shaft Briggs. The information was not stamped on the fan shroud. It was on two little foil tags stuck on the side of the shroud. Looking at the flywheel end it as at about the 7 o'clock position. As far back as I can remember I don't recall seeing this before. This was one of those golden brown engines with the updraft carb. They made them good back then. Thing starts and runs like a clock.

#8 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I just got done working on an older horizontal shaft Briggs. The information was not stamped on the fan shroud. It was on two little foil tags stuck on the side of the shroud. Looking at the flywheel end it as at about the 7 o'clock position. This was one of those golden brown engines with the updraft carb.

Was this a cast-iron or an aluminum engine?

I have seen those foil tags on cast-iron engines, but I don't recall seing them on the aluminum engines. .....Maybe my CRS is acting up again! :wallbanging:

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 08:04 PM

I went back out for about an hour tonight after work. Nothing on the blower cover. Nothing on a sheet metal piece that fits around two sides of the head. Nothing on the tank support that bolts to the head. Nothing anywhere as yet, got cold and dark. Probably be this weekend before I can get back to it now. (12 hour days the rest of week)
This is an alum. block engine, if it had foil tags they are long gone.

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I put this up earlier but removed it since it is for the newer engines but maybe some one could use it.

http://www.jackssmal...del_locator.cfm
  • tractorman604 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Maybe my CRS is acting up again!

I don't think so, tis a cast iron engine.

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:10 PM

I put this up earlier but removed it since it is for the newer engines but maybe some one could use it.

http://www.jackssmal...del_locator.cfm

I saw your first post and wondered what had happened to it. It is very useful on the newer stuff. Good reference, Thanks for reposting.

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:23 PM

These are PDF files of the older Letter series Briggs.

Attached Files

• tractorgarden said thank you

#14 BolensNewb88 OFFLINE  

BolensNewb88
  • Member No: 9637
  • 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 04:34 AM

hey guys maybe some of you can tell me what series this briggs is... all the id tags on my tactor are gone. my dad has had this tractor before i was born and he told me he got it from his boss with no ID tags. i finally found out what kind of tractor i have now i need to find out more about this engine.. heres a link to photobucket. you can see some pics of the engine. thx guys :)

#15 BolensNewb88 OFFLINE  

BolensNewb88
  • Member No: 9637
  • 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 28, 2012 - 04:35 AM

wow im a bad at this lmao!! heres the link guys sorry forgot to add it in my last comment.. jeeeez http://s598.photobuc...odgedweller420/