• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:53 PM

so i was thinking today, i wonder if i could put a super charger on my bolens ht20 engine. i know smart cars have kits out there and they run a 1.7 liter 3 cylinder mitisubishi engine i believe. i wonder if i could adapt one to my bolens, like this one for under 200 bucks. Smart Car Fortwo Supercharger Kit Electric Fortwo Turbo Charger Bolt On

#2 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:17 PM

I doubt those things work. I found this site, which I haven't read completely, but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Understand Why Electric Superchargers Are Scams
  • speedyg said thank you

#3 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:21 PM

The problem I see is it's designed for EFI i.e. ram more air into the intake and the ECM computer adds more fuel to compensate (which is why they recommend a new ECM chip) it also need lots of clean 12V. power to operate properly.

Why would you want more than 20HP ?

I seriously doubt you can even use all of what you have now, unless you trying to make some kind of racer ?

Ron

Edited by Ranchkingron, September 01, 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#4 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:32 PM

so i was thinking today, i wonder if i could put a super charger on my bolens ht20 engine. i know smart cars have kits out there and they run a 1.7 liter 3 cylinder mitisubishi engine i believe. i wonder if i could adapt one to my bolens, like this one for under 200 bucks. Smart Car Fortwo Supercharger Kit Electric Fortwo Turbo Charger Bolt On

carefull that the internal electric motor does,nt light off the air/fuel mixture in the manifold. could get rather exciting real quick.

#5 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:34 PM

I doubt those things work. I found this site, which I haven't read completely, but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Understand Why Electric Superchargers Are Scams

probably a minimal increase but the turbo whistle might be cool. about the only thing i can see happening is the spinning blades atomizing the fuel droplets. good article. thanks for that enginerd. and of course perfectly good GT dollars being sucked out of your jeans

Edited by rexknightly, September 02, 2011 - 12:01 AM.

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for having our back Enginerd!!!

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 02, 2011 - 12:53 PM

yeah i dont think 180 and the headache is worth another horse, if that, but the sound of the fan would be badass. i wonder if i made modifications to my air filter housing, if one of these would do anything. TURBO AIR TORNADO INTAKE FAN GAS SAVER CIVIC TC FUEL | eBay

#8 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 08:42 PM

if you need more power just get a set of pistons and get a camshaft out of like a 25hp engine or something. i know people that take 12 hp kohlers and put a 16hp cam and high compression pistion in them for pulling