• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Tonight I'm tinkering on my V4-6. She's rough as a 10yr old corn cob too! But I'm not trying to make it look any better at all at the moment. Just want it to move under it's own power. At my local show on Oct 1st, there is "Best of Show", and "Ugliest Tractor" in both the large tractors & the garden tractor section. Someone will have to have a mighty ugly tractor to beat this thing! I've not found an original HH60 TEC engine yet, so I will just be using a TEC 8hp till I locate the HH60.

V3-6.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:24 PM

I hope you are going to keep the bungee strap on there for the show?

I would love to see some more pics of it, looks like it is pretty close to the looks of the D4's.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I hope you are going to keep the bungee strap on there for the show?

I would love to see some more pics of it, looks like it is pretty close to the looks of the D4's.

Same grill, hood, fenders, seat pan, & footrests as the D4-10. Has same sleeve hitch & lift arm too. This one was missing one fender, so good to have the parts D4-10!

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:13 PM

I got the JD 110 variable pulley fitted to this tractor last night. The original had the sheaves welded down in the groove for some CRAZY reason! I had a belt that would work between the variable & the transaxle pulley, so picking up a B46 & B45 belt for the engine tomorrow. I measured it as needing a 46", but that could be a tad long, so picking up a 45"er also just in case. Pics later tomorrow.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 10:58 PM

I suppose you are going to try and tell us that you still have time to farm also. Where in the world you keep finding all these projects at? I don't get half as much done in a day as you and I'm retired. I need a rest after reading your post:rofl2:

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Isn't easy to find time. I have to make myself do it some times. Been so hot, most of my spare time is spent right here at the computer with a fan blowing on me.
While being my ugliest tractor candidate this year, I hope to restore this tractor within the next 2 to 5 years, but time will tell. Mostly all I lack to restore it is the HH60 engine, and I know a fella who has several of these engines.

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 02:26 PM

Where did you find that one? Is the V in V4-6 for variable?

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Where did you find that one? Is the V in V4-6 for variable?

Near English, Indiana, from member "dryrun". Yep, V for variable...4 speed...6hp

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Was so hot out that I didn't get any pics taken. Might have shorted out the camera from sweat dripping all over it! If I get "tinker time" tomorrow, it is supposed to be 12 degrees cooler, so my patience will be better at 90 than 102 like it was today.
Anyways, I actually drove the ugly tractor! The variable needs a bit more adjustment, as it drags the belt & grinds the gears, but it will drive! Two flat tires on the same side didn't help either, but in due time I'll get to all the rest needed tended to before my Oct 1st show.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:09 AM

It's hotter than heck and you are out working on garden tractors. You have it bad boy. I don't think Medications can even help your symptoms.:rolling:

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:52 AM

It's hotter than heck and you are out working on garden tractors. You have it bad boy. I don't think Medications can even help your symptoms.:rolling:

:bigrofl: You may be right Chris! I was thinking yesterday that I needed to put my shop fan on a swivel post, then a cord from the fan to my belt loop. That way every time I moved, the fan would still be pointing at me. Normally you'd not catch me out long at a stretch in that hot weather tinkering, but I have 3+ weeks to get ready for my local show, so the clock is ticking on me. Last year the "Ugliest GT" got me a $110.00 Craftsman tool kit, so it was worth the effort for sure then. Not sure what the prize will be this year, but I'll have fun even if there's not a prize at all.

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 12:05 PM

Here's the JD110 variable sheave installed.
DSC00586.jpg

She's definitely not pretty! Both right tires were flat, so putting a 4" tire/rim on that holds air. Rear gets a Sears turf tire. I have another like it for the other side, but may leave them mis-matched like the fronts are. Makes for more ugly! LOL

DSC00584.jpg

The variable adjust handle was completely missing. Just after I got the tractor I build a variable handle from an Allis deck lift handle. You can see the deck lift sticker still on it.

DSC00588.jpg

Here's a short video clip while driving it. I do need to get the brake adjusted, as the v-belt drags when the clutch is pushed down, making stopping a several foot process. Once the brakes are adjusted, it will stop easily. The original brake band is still in great condition too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZM0aBAgc4

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00585.jpg
  • DSC00591.jpg
  • DSC00589.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, September 04, 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well, it would seem that my Bush Hog V4-6 is ready for the tractor show. Turns out though that the brake band was no good. When I took all the brake parts off to clean the threads & such, I saw the metal band was rotten. I had a near-new one off a Wheel Horse, and with some grinding/fitting, it works just fine!
I also got the shift grinding stopped by making a belt guide/limiter. Like most variables, I have to wait a few seconds for things to spin down, but the belt comes to a complete stops for easier shifting.
Just drug this out with flats & no engine Thursday night, so not so bad. But being ugly is the prime objective, that speeds things up a whole lot. All it has to do is drive off the trailer to the lineup & back on the trailer.......safely!

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Looks from the video like the steering is pretty tight. That is always a plus. Motor sounds good also. Looks ready for the competition. I think one white letter tire on the rear would finish it off. Something like "No hunting" or maybe "Don't touch"
Have fun at your show.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:08 AM

The steering is surprisingly tight, not hardly any slop at all. As to the ugly, I'm not doing anything intentional to make it uglier, just intentionally not doing anything to make it look better. :D The rims/tires I mismatched was just because that's all I had on hand that would fit. I think in the next couple years or so, I'll start restoring this puppy.