25 replies to this topic

#16 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks MAV for the warm welcome and info. I appreciate you insight. I stopped by the JD dealer last night and picked up a new air filter. While there I asked again if a pre cleaner was available for it. He said no, that some came with them and some didn't. He was able to look up in one of his manuals and find one that would work. So, I'm pleased with that. The pre cleaner is a Kohler P/N 24 083 05-S if anyone every needs one. Not sure the cost as he didn't give me a breakdown on price.

I've decided not to tamper with the carb for now. I bought a couple gallon of premium gas last night and added 2 oz per gallon (the recommended rate) and started it up to let it run for 20 minutes or so with the side covers off. It has already smoothed out considerably and will now idle down nicely with less than 1/2 the shake it had before. I think there must have just been some varnish inside the carb.

JDBrian mentioned earlier that the rear mounts are prone to wear and these are shot. So, now that the dealer is closed until Tuesday and I want this thing cutting grass on Monday I am going to have to fabricate my own for the time being. I will start a new thread and see whether most guys are running solid mounts now or continuing to use rubber mounts.

I asked about plug gap while I was at the dealer since I had seen .025 in some places and .035 in others. Dealer tells me that if running a resistor plug it should be .025, and if using a non-resistor plug then .035. I bought the non resistor Champion H10C (844) since he was willing to check his parts book and pass on the info. I'll have to compare the heat range specs of your autolite 216 to this champion and watch to see how this plug performs. If I need to adjust up or down to get a good burn I'll at least have something to compare to. Back in the day we use to go up one range on older cars to keep them from sooting up on high mileage engines. Once I get the carb cleaned up and the Seafoam out I'll pulll it and see what is going on.

Oh, and I did find the Kohler engine manual in the manuals section.

This is such a cool place to be!

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Terry, the idle should be 2000 to 2200RPM's for the 316. If you try to idle it down really low it will only make the vibration worse. The engine does not have the counter balancer that most Kohlers have. For whatever reason JD stopped using them in the early days of the 300 production. The mounts are a big problem area and expensive to replace. The front ones are really unique and I have never seen a second source for them.

#18 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Brian,
Not really sure if this was a Deere doing or if it was a Kohler doing by removing the balance gears. It may have something to do with them putting an extra hole in the side of your block when they decide to let go. LOL

Mark

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Brian,
Not really sure if this was a Deere doing or if it was a Kohler doing by removing the balance gears. It may have something to do with them putting an extra hole in the side of your block when they decide to let go. LOL

Mark

I wonder if anyone is around who knows the real story about that. The Kohler service manual doesn't mention anything about engines without the balancers. Do you know if other manufacturers who used kohler k series had the balance gears? I'm only familiar with the JD's. I'm glad they are not in my tractor. It's one less thing to worry about.

#20 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Glad to see another 316K out there! I have one that I have been working on for about 6 months.

I had to do an engine rebuild - mine came in a box with the crank in several pieces (but all of them were there...).

Should you ever need it, rebuild kits for these are reasonably cheap and easy to get. When I took the block to the machine shop to get it bored and the crank turned, the mechanic (an older guy) was pointing out how stout these old engines were made compared to more "modern" stuff.

While waiting on the engine, I took the body down to the frame and did a full paint on everything. Replaced the broken stuff and brought it back to specs.

My wife always wanted to rebuild an engine :D, so she asked me if she could do the rebuild. She is about done and I hope to get the whole thing back together and running in a month or so.

Anyway, enjoy your new "old" tractor!

#21 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Tennblue59. Good to know that rebuild kits are still available. So far I'm lovin this thing. I spent 2 days degreasing and cleaning it up and am now going through replacing worn pulley's and such. I understand the deck bearings are replaceable and use 2 per spindle. I plan to replace all of mine this fall since they are all making noise.

So far I've found 8 grease zerts. 2 on the front wheels, 1 on the mule drive, 2 on the front axle, 1 on the steering column near the bottom, and 2 on shaft that runs crossways for the brakes. Guess that's all of them.

#22 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:27 AM

Oh, and forgot to mention that I think it's pretty cool your wife takes an interest in motors and their rebuild. You must have done a good job training her. :)

#23 fredrader OFFLINE  

fredrader

• Member No: 3676
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Glad to see another 316K owner.. I love mine and it does feel like it wants to throw the hood off when I start it though till it gets some RPM's up.. It steers like it has power steering too...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I was able to get a carb rebuild kit from a Kohler dealer for about $12 for a 140. They had them in stock. They had them for my 341, but I didn't buy it yet.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Yes, parts are still available for these old workhorses. The JD dealers also carry parts at pretty competitive prices. I ordered a bunch of engine parts online from OPEEngines.com and got very good service from them.

#26 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I'll bookmark that site.