8 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I want to add some solar powered lights for accent around my home. I know you get what you pay for, so I am looking for something that is of at least the quality to last 5 years or so. Any brands come to mind that should be on the short list? Any to stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:52 AM

I am sure the solar lighting that is available now is much better then what we had 10 years ago. I haven't had any since then but the ones we did have back then only lasted through the summer/fall and then after winter they didn't work anymore. I think technically you should pull them out in the winter and put em in storage due to the cold weather killing the batteries.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:56 AM

The newer solar lights seem to have gone to LED which stay lit a lot longer . My wife bought cheap ones just to mark the driveway and I was surprised how well they work for the price , around $3 each . Maybe check to see if the batteries are replaceable if your spending $$$ for them , Al

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 10:34 PM

bought several two years ago for Menards on clearance for under $2 each they have been outside all this time and no problems

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah,those LED ones are great.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have purchased some last year. I got some at Lowes and some at Walmart. If you buy the better grade led, you will see a difference. The only down side I have seen is if you mix and match, you can see the difference. I use mine in back, in the garden, so it doesn't matter.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 08:02 AM

We've got a couple of the spotlight type that you stick in the ground. They have the little solar panel on the top about 3"x4". The brand is Moonrays and they have a website. I was sceptical that these would work but they did fine all summer/fall. I take them in for the winter because they get buried or destroyed when I plow. I put them in the windows of the house on the South side in areas where we could use a night light. They worked well and even on the short days of December there was still light from them at dawn.
I haven't had good luck with the ones that look like little lanterns. The water gets into them and they stop charging. We lost about 1/2 of them. If you take them inside and clean them every fall then they might work fine. I don't think it's good for the batteries to sit for long periods in a discharged state.
I notice that the hardware on the Moonrays lights is Stainless steel which is a good indicator that they were built with a bit of thought to lasting in an outdoor environment. Many of the others we bought have rusted and look terrible. I think the bottom line is to spend a bit more for something that's better made.

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 11:46 AM

My problem was finding "low-voltage" lights! We needed 4-12V to put by the front step, against the north side of the house where I wouldn't expect to get enough sunlight for solars. Finally found a set of ten lights at Home Depot (on sale, so they probably won't have any more). Otherwise, I would have to piece the parts! ~~ Lowell

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 04:58 AM

Glad you found what you were looking for,Lowell.