Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Nominations Now Being Accepted for Featured Tractor of the Month for October 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#46 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

Ok, I am getting bold here. I am nominating the Caterpillar with a 10 inch moldboard plow that had a refitted lever to adjust it's pitch/suck. You might think that the plow alone is the favorite attachment, and it is, but the winch lift on the sleeve hitch and the 37 Amp alternator by my foot in the picture help to make it even more fun. The tractor, a simple 1988 Craftsman GT18 powered by a Briggs and Stratton opposed twin was painted and decaled before me with a Caterpillar scheme. I kept that and added the sleeve hitch myself, but I did not want manual lift so I mounted a 2000 pound winch to a chunk of 4 inch channel extending high up for a straighter pull on the hitch. With that winch I needed more power, and not horsepower, but rather amps. So I mounted another pulley on the outside of the drive pulley in order to power a Delco Remy alternator. With all that upgrading I decided to run new wires throughout, and that is when I parked it.

When I finish repairing it and get it back together it will get new 26x10.50-12 ATV tires which will be loaded, and a front winch bumper. The current wheel weights will remain since they are 63 pounds each and the current rear tires will go on another tractor. What can I say about those two scrap yard parts other than they are great, and my front bumper was a scrap yard find too LOL. I will have to add and wire lights to the Caterpillar as well, but that will be another project. I eventually plan to upgrade the front axle and mount Snow Hog tires on the front, but I doubt all that will happen this year. I do plan to have it all set up by plow time next year though. I plan to be able to haul a** plowing, not that George (NUTNDUN) wants me to, but he thinks I should be able to, so I will have to see for myself. :bigrofl:

http://gardentractor...arplowing2-jpg/http://gardentractor...arplowing1-jpg/

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 11, 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#47 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Bring it on, Casey. My 68 needs some competition.

#48 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Bring it on, Casey. My 68 needs some competition.

If it doesn't win this month Kenny, I will put it back together, mount the new tires, install the winch bumper, and try again in the spring lol. I will keep nominating it until it wins LOL.

#49 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:29 PM

well, here's my ugly duckling, my 1970 Sears SS12. Used it today to plow my moms garden up. Had to wait for my dad to leave because he will not allow me to use the tractor in the garden and my mom wants me too. I picked up the tractor two years ago almost for $265 with two sets of wheel weights. I received ags for free from a place I work later that summer when I got it. Guy came in and asked how much to get rid of them and I ended up with them. Later I got a dozer blade for $75 and during last winter I got a 3pt for it. Right now this summer I picked up the moldboard and another set of wheel weights so I'm up to three sets of wheel weights. This tractor has had a knock since I can remember, I call it knocker. Than randomly this summer it stopped knocking after a hard mowing. it has since started knocking again but I have had it apart and looked at it and there's nothing wrong inside. So either way with that, no worries. The moldboard plow, and 3pt I bought from a friend out east, got a good deal on them. Now as for the garden, it's kind of small, mom wants it bigger but dad says no. Mom planted a lot of stuff and I had four rows of potatoes. The potatoes that we got earlier this year were better, we ended up getting those nasty potato bugs. Oh, forgot about the hood, I have to explain why it's OLIVER green, not JD green... I painted it Oliver green with the idea that I would paint the tractor all up in Oliver but keep the sears decals and such. Now that has changed, I'm going to re-do things original Sears when I get the money.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

EDIT: I just noticed it needs to be 2 paragraphs... I read to quick and thought it said a paragraph... Hopefully one big one works?

Here's a video of it working today after the harvest, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of my trailer full of tomatoes though.
plowing the garden with the 1970 Sears SS12 tractor - fall 2011 - YouTube

004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 005.jpg

Edited by BillTheTractorMan, September 11, 2011 - 07:37 PM.
details

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:04 AM

Glad to see your tractor here, Bill! Thanks for entering it here.

#51 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:19 AM

Bill,that's not such an ugly tractor.

#52 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:45 AM

Casey, with the plow set at the angle it is, I don't see how you got any plowing done.

#53 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 01:19 PM

Casey, with the plow set at the angle it is, I don't see how you got any plowing done.

I did quite well Dan. I think that was a point I had just let the plow back down. The sod was still pretty wet and my traction weight wasn't as much as I would have liked/really needed so I was lifting the plow up some when the wheels spun. I know, I shouldn't have to lift the plow and the plow should be set more correctly, but with the damp sod we were just plowing for fun at that point. I don't think any of us had the dig we really wanted that afternoon but we did have fun. (it was the Cochranton Plow Day)

#54 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Alright gang, nominations are now officially closed. Will be posting the poll here shortly.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you