• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 03:01 PM

I will have to see about adjusting the 20 pic limit.

Welcome to GTtalk Greg. Very nice build you have and great write up.
  • JoaquinKt said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 03:58 PM

George, thanks. You don't want to miss any part of this build. I've seen it all, but will look again. This thing is neat!

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys the 20 limit is OK, fortunately I was only over by four so it was no big deal, and I learned something too!

Continued from first post:
After getting the blade mounted I ran a pass down the drive with it once or twice a day before the following pictures. I knew that I had hit the property line marker that is in the center of our drive by the road as I felt a big tug when I went over it. Did not know I did this till a few days later when I had time to do the whole drive and wanted to get some pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

And my quickie fix

Posted Image

Both that property marker and one more that is also in the drive have since been shortened by about 3 inches thanks to my cordless angle grinder and a shovel.

And this is how well it worked with the old blade with 13 inches added to the attachment arms
First pass north view

Posted Image

First path south
Posted Image

All done north

Posted Image

All done south

Posted Image

In action shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

This did work really well but as I said I had ideas and kind of a plan for a new swivel and mount utilizing the 5 foot blade I had. I will start that in my next reply cause I got lots of pictures :smile1:

Edited by Michiganmobileman, March 10, 2012 - 07:23 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#19 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Here is the story of my blade mount and swivel, bought a few bolts and scrounged up the rest.
Toyed around with several ideas as how to make a grader blade "circle" like a real road grader. After too much thinking and not enough doing this is what I did.

Started by going to the local shop that does the repair work on our company vehicles and asked for a brake rotor from a large truck. Missed the scrap guy by a day so he did not have any from a 3/4 truck which was what I had in mind. Ended up with one that had about a 14 inch diameter, this part was to be the "inner" circle. I then started making the "outer" circle by welding up flat steel strips clamped around the hub

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welded three together just a little loose around the edge of the rotor

Used a flat sheet and cut eight pieces of the same stock I made the rings from and made the base for my circle.

Posted Image

Built up a blade frame and swivel bracket

Posted Image

Which bolts through the brake rotor and to the base

Posted Image

Which then sets inside the three rings which were welded into this blue circle piece which just happened to be the ideal size.

Posted Image

And the Blue circle was welded to the hanger frame

Posted Image

When all the above pieces are put together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few shots with it installed on the grader

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And with the running boards modified and back on

Posted Image

Posted Image

Close to twenty, part four to follow
Greg
  • larryd said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:10 PM

looking forward to more pic.s and info.,
looking at the grader blade gave me an idear, i don't know if you have already done this but what if you mount rippers in frount of the blade ?

#21 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:20 PM

looking forward to more pic.s and info.,
looking at the grader blade gave me an idear, i don't know if you have already done this but what if you mount rippers in frount of the blade ?

Yep that is in the long range plan, piece from a drag that my brother has donated, I will try and get a picture of that this weekend!

#22 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:27 PM

What a build. Thanks for posting. I like what you've done. That extra room in front gives me the idea of mounting a hydraulic pump and reservoir and have hydraulic lift and rotation for the blade.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 04:09 AM

Awesome build, Greg. Happy Birthday, today! Waiting for more pics and updates.

#24 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Greg,that is a great build.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:42 AM

Greg, maybe I missed it but what do you use to control the blade angle?

Happy birthday btw :D

#26 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey guys Thanks for the Birthday wishes, hit the big 50 today, even got some seat time mowing the lawn so not too bad of a birthday. Finally seem to have a decent internet connection back at home so figured I will continue the story:

I will start by answering NUTNDUN's question as the stops were not installed yet in the above pictures

I added these bolts with nuts welded to the ring, hole through ring and the end of the bolt tightens against the rotor, allows me to stop it at any angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then gave it the inaugural run up and down the driveway. Kathy was nice enough to snap a few pictures for me in action

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Worked even better than I expected and I was a pretty happy camper!! (Still wish I would have had a hat on in those pictures though).

My big test of the design came when I did some grading on the drive at a local Music Festival site where I volunteer my time when I can, doing what I can to help. The Wheatland Music Organization holds two festivals during the year the first being Memorial day weekend and then weekend after labor Day. This is about ten miles from home. We had a lot of rain before the memorial day festival and when I was there helping to tear off some shingles on a few buildings 2 weeks before the festival I noticed the washouts in the main drive coming in. Cool Posted Image good excuse to check with the proper people about a grader job before festival. So I ended up getting over there after it had dried up almost too much to grade, it was awful dusty, but I did some good.

Allis-grader on custom trailer (that's another story) with the main stage in the background.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before shots
Posted Image

Posted Image

And after I was done

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It worked OK and I filled the deep ruts in pretty good and generally smoothed it out good but I did not like how the blade would not dig in even with my 190 standing on it (which would take that weight off the rear end and spin the tires). Also left "chatter marks" in the dirt. So I thought the answer was to go with a rigid link as that was what the original blade had.
So here is my first try on that update/upgrade
I used the adjustable arms from a simplicity mower deck that I was scrapping thinking the adjustment on the two ends

Posted Image

would allow me to tilt the blade right to left. Plus the curve on the other end seemed just right to meet the bolt holes where the chains were. So I cut the threaded ends off, shortened the arms and then welded them back together. Also rough cut the slot in the running board. This worked a whole lot better as I could get down pressure with the blade. But with just the Armstrong lift handle and slot adjustment for position it was hard to keep the blade where it needed to be. It was also a big pain in the rear to remove the bolt and turn the end in or out on these for the adjustment. So the next was to install my electric lift and remove the quadrant as well as cut off the top of the lift lever, meanwhile thinking on how to improve the adjustment part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again a big step forward but I could not get the amount of tilt left to right out of the blade that I wanted to have when I went with the threaded ends. So I came up with this as my adjustment mechanism phase two
Posted Image

And I will detail that complete step and the hood extension in the next post, as I am at 20 pics and my hands are tired, the next post should bring everyone up to date on my progress.

Thanks again to all. I have thought of the hydraulic lift and angle idea, and the plan is to go in front of the engine with hyd tank in front also. I have a pump from an electric motor, two cylinders and two separate valves, but would really like to use a single three way valve with the third spool being plumbed to the rear and front with quick connects. That would let me add a plow on the front and who knows what else I might think of :smile1:.
Greg

Edited by Michiganmobileman, March 10, 2012 - 07:28 AM.

• KennyP and larryd have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Great reading and pics. Glad your birthday turned out good. Keep it all coming.

#28 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Great stuff you are doing. We would love to see some videos of the grader in action

#29 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:41 PM

VERY cool build, I wanna come to your house to play!

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:45 PM

We COOL build, does the twin rear ends have any suspension built into it. I couldn't tell if you had done that or not.