Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

My Homemade 4WD Mini Road Grader aptly named The Allis-Grader

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,200 Thanks
  • 1,841 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hello to all,
Here is my still improving and always under construction but functional and very effective homemade "Allis-Grader" history with lots of pictures.
We moved to our lake property in winter of 2005 and now have about 600 foot of driveway to maintain. I had a box blade for the rear of my ford LGT 145 and my brother has a small Kubota with a back blade. These both worked OK but still left some "whoop-de-doos" and seemed to make the humps and holes grow instead of smoothing them out. So off I go to cyber space to see what was available that would do a better job.
Ended up at a site called roadgradingschool.com that had some good practical info regarding the advantages of a center mount grader blade over a rear mount, course they wanted you to buy their grader, which looks like it works great but way too large for me. But I did consider my self more educated on graders in general after going through their site. So I proceeded to round up some scraps and built me a grader blade that I used under my Allis 919H, used an old MTD plow swivel, cut up sides of a 100 pound LP tank, parts from cub cadet mower carrier. BIG difference over the rear mounts, worked real well, was able to set the blade square and at an angle either direction. Hooked up a solid lift link and could raise the front of the tractor off the ground when down all the way.
I used this blade and tractor for 5 years or so and was real happy with the outcome. BUT, thanks to the road grading school info, swirling around in my head was an idea or two on what could be done to make it better.
In early spring of 2010 I found a CL buy close enough to go for a trip. Picked up an A/C 700 series with no engine, But in real good shape with a 3 speed with high low. Worth the drive at the price to be a parts tractor. When I got it home it was in really good shape, almost hated to disassemble it, thought should just park it out back for a while and get working in a Simplicity 3314H that I had gotten earlier and was going to part out for sure, I wanted the front clutch and the electric lift from the 3314, was also going to keep anything else I may need down the road for my other tractors from this and sell off the rest. As the simplicity came apart and I got down to the front end disassemble the proverbial light bulb went on above my head. Out comes the sawzall and some c-clamps, a 2x4 to support the hood and here is a longer wheelbase tractor to use as a grader.
Posted Image

Obviously the original set of front tires would come off, the engine could go in the original location to save the cost and hassle of longer driveshaft, etc.
So I am now thinking, " I can do this, I have a welder, not real good at it but gotta learn sometime, lots of scrap and leftover steel pieces around, and as long as I dont spend lots of cash, the wifes OK with most anything I do tractor wise".
So the day comes when I get ready to weld the two pieces together and I realize this would be too long, and probably kind of weak, so I end up with this

Posted Image

Added 13 inches to the front end. As I am standing their admiring my bad welds that darn light bulb went on again, (should of left the switch off), and I thought about the two old 3 speed A/C B112 tractors that I have sitting around growing rust. Are the gear ratios the same? Could I hook the two together and make it drive both rear ends? All sorts of questions I am asking myself????? But finally decided why not I did the front end and probably cant hurt it any worse and may get better at welding in the process.
So back out scrounging parts and stuff and got the two coupled together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Used what I could find around here and ended up making it so that I could remove the rear rearend if I needed or wanted to. Next step was to get the power back to the second rearend. Also built up a rod to connect the two shifters together.

Posted Image

Used the pulley and lever set up from the mower drive on the other side of the tractor to be able to drop the rear rearend out if needed.

Posted Image

Next was to get the rear seat deck centered over the tires. Had to add some metal here to get the right set back.

Posted Image

Also wanted the rear support to be fairly sturdy as I was thinking a dump bed, so added some steel here too.
Posted Image

And under the deck

Posted Image

Posted Image

So this is what I ended up with, both hoods on for visual purposes.

Posted Image

The AC 710 originally came with a Kohler, so I had some rewiring to do for a permanent install of the 16 HP Briggs I had but as I was anxious to take it for a spin I did a temporary hookup with the fuel tank in sideways and the battery setting up front, as well as the muffler setting askew.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ended up with about a 14 foot outside turning radius. Discovered it was easier to turn going backwards and found out that my shifter connection needs some refinement after I stopped while going over some of the bumps in the front yard, needed a little extra twist to get the rear rearend in gear. Course this happened as Kathy was watching me out the front window. She asked if I broke it already and I told her it was a design error, not a break down.
Eventually got the wiring all switched over for the Briggs. Added the starter generator and took off the original starter as the nose gear was stripped. Started it up and the only smoke was from the exhaust, none of that bad smelling electrical smoke. Did pretty good on the rewiring for a color blind guy.

Posted Image

This was to be my new blade, donated to the project by a friend.

Posted Image

but I had lots of Ideas regarding blade mount so for now time to try it with the old blade.

These were the only pictures I could find of the original blade I made for the 919H,
Posted Image
Posted Image
added 13 inches to the attachment arms to get it at the right spot under the grader.

In action shots to follow
OK going to stop for now and will get to the rest of the story with in the next few days
Greg
  • NUTNDUN, MH81, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• Member No: 5127
  • 3,078 Thanks
  • 3,482 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 08:58 PM

welcom to GT Talk, looking forward to more pictures,

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 1,845 Thanks
  • 3,138 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:40 PM

Very interesting grader. I can't get enough of turning ideas into working machines and it looks like your well on the way of having yours complete. I think I saw a video of it. You were driving with one drive in reverse and one in forward. Your wife was saying something about buying tires.:smile1:

#4 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 1,949 Thanks
  • 3,409 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Looks cool but you need to make the front wheels lean to one side like the big graders do.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 1,975 Thanks
  • 5,584 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Cvans, I think you may have him confused for tractormike who took an allis b12 and added another rear behind it (not extend the front). Because based on this build the trannys can never be put in opposite directions. However, I still love the idea of dual transaxles. Great project.

Also, for the record, tractormike named his the "Allis-Gator" and this project is the "Allis Grader"
  • Cvans said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 1,845 Thanks
  • 3,138 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 12:22 AM

wvbuzzmaster you are correct on all accounts. I stand corrected. He did have to separate shift levers on that one. If I wasn't bald I'd think I was blond.:rolleyes:

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 1,975 Thanks
  • 5,584 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 12:26 AM

wvbuzzmaster you are correct on all accounts. I stand corrected. He did have to separate shift levers on that one. If I wasn't bald I'd think I was blond.:rolleyes:

I am blond. :bigrofl:

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 04:28 AM

That's going to look alright when finished.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 24,851 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 04:57 AM

Greg, I'm happy to see this build posted here. I think it is a very cool tractor that has a lot of thought put into it. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Casey, we now know what your 'problem' is. Anybody got some 'blond' jokes?

P.S. This would be a great entry into the featured tractor thread.

Edited by KennyP, September 01, 2011 - 04:59 AM.
Added Comment

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 6,065 Thanks
  • 6,674 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:02 AM

Very nice project.
Looking forward to more updates.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 6,873 Thanks
  • 12,127 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Greg, thanks for the pictures and build description on the grader. I have a 300 ft. gravel driveway and some gravel trails and appreciate your need for a better solution than a rear blade. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as it progresses.

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 985 Thanks
  • 1,266 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:10 AM

Very nice project!

#13 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 254 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for sharing this project. It looks great.

#14 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 62 Thanks
  • 684 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:06 AM

What a cool project and Great write up. Keep them coming.....
Thanks

#15 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,200 Thanks
  • 1,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the kind words so far. I would have posted more last night but ran into the 20 picture limit so I deleted some and then decided should do a few things and get to bed. More to come tonight.
Greg