• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alan911sc OFFLINE  

alan911sc

• Member No: 5957
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 03:06 PM

Just picked up a 70's vintage MF8 and I can't seem to get the brake to operate correctly. The left side pedal pops it into the neutral position when depressed but it doesn't slow down prior to it going into neutral. The operators manual dosen't help me out. Can someone explain how the braking system operates and how to adjust it. Thanks in advance.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Alan911sc, :welcome: to GTTalk.

There are a couple of guys with hydro 7's and 8's here. My son has one, but we've not had it running in years and never had to adjust the brakes when it was. Wish I could help more.

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:42 PM

I am pretty sure that when you step on the pedal the hydro lever goes to stop or neutral and if you push all the way down the brake apply's via cable, has a disc and pad. I'll check mine tomorrow.

#4 alan911sc OFFLINE  

alan911sc

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info, you indicated there was some sort of cable to the brake. The only cable I see is for the parking brake. Any pics of the set up would be appreciated.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have an MF8 hydro also but have never torn it down to see how it was setup. I have never used the pedal for a brake, always just used the lever. Which reminds me I need to do some checking on my lever because it is tough to move out of neutral. Maybe I will look at it tonight and I can get some pics of the brake setup.

#6 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 01:32 PM

not sure how much the MF8 is similar to the MF14, but my 14 has an adjustable rod for the brake under the seat. I'll check tonight and let you know.

#7 alan911sc OFFLINE  

alan911sc

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 05:46 AM

That's how I'using it just operating the forward/reverse lever. I just would like to slow it down with a brake as I have a slope on the property. My MF 10 is an entirely different set up with the variable speed thing. I having some problems with that one also with the clutch/brake set up. It appears the front drive belt is a little tight and when the clutch pedal is depressed it does not disengage totally. I'm still trouble shooting that one but I'm thinking the guy who gave me the tractor replaced the Tecumseh HM10 with a Kohler K181 from a John Deere and the centerlines of the crankshafts might be different. I'm trying to track down the specs for both before I start any major surgery to try to solve the problem. I kinda remember seeing it somewhere that the Kohler's crankshaft was centered a bit forward compared to the Tecumseh.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:34 AM

I didn't get a chance to look at my MF8 yet. Possibly tonight. I want to say that there is not a regular brake on the MF7/8 hydros. There is a parking brake. You can use the hydro lever to control everything as well as use it to choose what speed and slow down going down a hill.

Regarding the MF10, have you gone through the vari drive adjustment procedure outlined in the manual?

#9 alan911sc OFFLINE  

alan911sc

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:31 AM

I followed the owners manual to a "T" with no luck on the MF10. But the good news is I just picked up another 10 off of craiglist and it looks like all I have to do is figure why it has no spark. Everything else seems OK. Between the two 10's I should be able to make one good one.

With respect to the MF8, the parking brake is the only thing with the cable, the pedal only seems to operate to neutral then it brakes abruptly once in neutral. There is no braking effect up to the time it goes into neutral,

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I am almost 100% positive there is no brake other then the parking brake due to the hydro control can take care of all of that when in operation.

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I checked the AGCO parts books and there is no real brake, only a parking brake, all the braking is done by the Hydro control and when you step on the brake pedal all it does is move the Hydro control to neutral.
Can't verify this on my tractor as the control cable is seized, something else to put on the to do list.