Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I think I finally figured out the MF1655 no start issue.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Some may remember the issues I was having with the 1655 not starting for me all the time, usually when it would already be warm but sometimes it would do it when it was cold also.

I just haven't had time and haven't needed to use the 1655 so it kind of went on the back burner. I decided to work on getting the 3pt plow mounted on it because I had to shorten the top link but that will be another post later on.

After I got it all mounted I went to fire it up and it wouldn't start. I figured now is as good a time as any to start trouble shooting. I put the timing light on it and sure enough it was missing spark off and on so I figured it was the coil. Last time it was a loose battery wire on the positive side of the coil. I made sure the wiring was tight which it was.

Got the coil pulled out and I had a new spare coil but it is a newer style. The one that was in the Onan P220 was the old style with the two mounting holes. I don't have a retrofit bracket to use the other coil. I went to see how much a new coil was going to cost and that was when I realized I had the older style coil and I needed the retrofit kit to put a new coil on. The price on it is $98.

I figured before I order it I am going to make sure it is the coil that is bad. So I grabbed my Onan manual and went back out to the garage. It reads in range on the positive and negative terminals but was showing out of limit on the plug wire terminals. I checked the new coil and that one read perfect so it confirmed that it is the coil.

I just ordered the new coil with retrofit kit off ebay. Was going to order it through onanparts but their store is closed right now till Sept. 6th. I guess they have gone fishing. LOL.

I hate to spend the money but at least this way I have a spare coil because I am sure this won't be my only Onan. Actually it isn't, I have a B series 18hp sitting on the workbench that needs to go in storage as a spare/parts motor.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Great news George, I know there is worse ways to spend 100 bucks, like on 26 gallons of gasoline!! Which confirms my new truck has the 32 gallon gas tank lol.

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:29 PM

At least you figured out out your problem....

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 09:10 PM

At least you figured out out your problem....

:ditto: And a spare will never hurt.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 08:51 AM

I got the coil in the mail yesterday and finally got a chance to put it on this morning. Works like a champ. The Onan has never run so smooth and it also starts up instantly. I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet but it has definitely made a huge improvement. I believe the old coil is the original coil to that Onan Performer P220 so I am sure it has seen it's use.

#6 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 10:21 AM

Cool beans....

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 10:25 AM

That's great Goerge.
Those Onan Coils can do some strange thing as they die.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 01:41 PM

We are now expecting some work video of that tractor & loader! At least dig a hole, then fill it in again! LOL

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 03:19 PM

We are now expecting some work video of that tractor & loader! At least dig a hole, then fill it in again! LOL

I have actually done a good bit with it already. I really need to replace the control valve for the loader and get the seals replaced on two of the cylinders. I used it to move a huge pile of mulch, I have used it to move a bunch of parts also. :D

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:19 PM

I have actually done a good bit with it already. I really need to replace the control valve for the loader and get the seals replaced on two of the cylinders. I used it to move a huge pile of mulch, I have used it to move a bunch of parts also. :D

:wewantvideo: