10 replies to this topic

#1 allenblakee OFFLINE  

allenblakee

• Member No: 5130
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Howdy Again!

Well I got my hydraulic spool unstuck and hydraulic goodness is once again flowing. However, when I got to the point that I was going to install my front plow to see if it would work, I found 3 of the four front couplers frozen.

Can I just PB Blast these bad boys back to moving smoothly again? Can they be disassembled? Other disasters that might come from trying to unfreeze them?

Thanks all for the help!

-allen

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Allen, it's me again. Have you released any pressure on the couplers by cycling the hydro levers a few times with the tractor off. You can try to free them up if they are physically jammed but often the problem is pressure on them.

#3 allenblakee OFFLINE  

allenblakee

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thanks JDBrian...I hadn't thought to try that. I sprayed them down w/ PB as well as fiddled with the levers...I'll let it sit overnight before trying again. They're pretty crusty and I don't think they've been hooked up in many, many years so we'll see if the loosen up and let the good stuff flow.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Allen, I recently got a 1983 314 and the couplers were a bit sticky from neglect but worked fine after cleaning them up.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Good luck. Rust can be a pain. Are these standard sized, or available from JD? May want to do the legwork, if they're that stuck, even if you get them working, you could have leaks.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 10:08 AM

You should be able to free up the sleeves but like mentioned, unless you release the pressure from the lines you won't get the quick couplings together. I don't care how strong of a person someone might be. I have had them hold pressure even after moving the control valves and then I resort to wrapping a rag around the fitting and smacking the ball against a board to release the pressure that way. It works but makes a mess and I don't suggest doing it that way.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have a pair that are pretty crusty on my Allis 720, and I won't consider even trying to free them up. If yours are as rusty as mine, I'd go the route of finding some good used ones.

#8 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Daniel. Also there is a rubber O ring in there that will dry out and crack and leak and will cause a mess. Yes you can get them through Deere maybe a little different but will not hurt anything. You may want to look at a TSC [tractor suppy store] if you have one close to you. I have found them there.

Mark

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:22 PM

If really rusty, the metal under the o-ring may be so pitted that even a new o-ring might leak terribly. Just gotta check them out real close. At l;east if you get new o-rings & they still leak, you'll have new o-rings for a used pair of couplers.

#10 allenblakee OFFLINE  

allenblakee

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the additional insight. I got two of them freed up enough to plug into, and they don't leak but one is completely frozen and the other won't allow the male side to engage. Sounds like I'll need a couple new ones. Are the size/shape of the quick connects pretty standard? They don't have to be JD, but they do need to fit! ; ^)

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Allen, I believe they are a standard item. I would remove one of them and go to a hydraulics parts supplier and see if they can match it. I just checked JDParts.com and it looks like for a 317 the coupler is part#AM37982 and in Canada it was 17$ ea. I think you should be able to do better than that locally.