• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 allenblakee OFFLINE  

allenblakee

• Member No: 5130
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Well I busted into my 318 today just to get the hydraulics working properly (the spool was frozen) and I know it's time to change out the fluids as I don't know when that was last done.

I wonder, is anyone running synthetic through their green machine? I've had great luck with Royal Purple in the past for both motor oil and for transmission fluid and wondering if I could/should use it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the topic.

-allen

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 07:50 PM

I just finished changing the fluid in my 2320 today. I have put Amsoil in it. I don't have a good feel for how it's working yet but my initial impression is that the hydro is a bit quieter. I only had it running for about 15 minutes. It's not that expensive to try synthetic in a 318 as it's only 7quarts. They say synthetic will reduce operating temps and that is a good thing. Consistent viscosity with temperature and less wear are the 2 other things I like about it.

#3 allenblakee OFFLINE  

allenblakee

• Member No: 5130
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 11:14 PM

Cool, well I guess I'll give it a shot and see what comes of it. Now to find someone w/ a filter. ; ^)

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:32 PM

I have heard that if you put synthetic oil you should stay with it, if you go back to reg. oil the if will start using the oil. I try to put a little slick 50 about every two years in my garden tractors. I got a JD 212 that had over 2600 hours on it and I have not removed the head. It does use a little oil after around 10 hours it might need half a cup of oil

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 06:37 AM

I have heard that if you put synthetic oil you should stay with it, if you go back to reg. oil the if will start using the oil. I try to put a little slick 50 about every two years in my garden tractors. I got a JD 212 that had over 2600 hours on it and I have not removed the head. It does use a little oil after around 10 hours it might need half a cup of oil

That is an impressive number of hours for an air cooled gas engine. It must have been well maintained. Carbon tends to build up in the head and on the valves and piston of the Kohlers and it is a good idea to remove it periodically. The Kohler manual says every 500 hrs. I recently got a 314 and the head gasket needed replacement. There were large carbon deposits. Those Kohler K's are a really nicely made engine IMO and easy to work on as well. Built to last!
As far as synthetic goes I have never had that difficulty in cars. I have switched back and forth before without issues. I read somewhere that a worn engine may use less oil when running synthetic, perhaps because it will run a bit cooler, but then if you switch back it will of course start burning more oil. A friend of mine used Slick 50 in his 91 civic si. The engine was still going strong at 450,000km when the transmission gave out.

#6 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:17 AM

I use synthetic in everything. The wife's car, my diesel p-up, push mower, string trimmer, blower, and m'cycle. I feel the extra protection of synthetic is worth the piece of mind. Air cooled motors need all the help they can get in the heat of summer, and the low flow characteristics in cold weather are an added benefit. Synthetics also help prevent the build up of sludge.
  • akretowicz said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Terry, What syn. oil do you run in your diesel p-up?

#8 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Amsoil 5w-40 in a 2011 gmc with duramax 6.6. Alternately, I could use 15w-40, but I don't work it hard. I pull a boat on weekends.

#9 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 11:44 AM

everything small engine and tractor related i have run syn in has run 'louder' and hotter for some reason. i stick to what the manufacturer recomends. :smile1:

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:03 PM

I had the 2320 out today moving gravel from a pile down through my trails to an area I am finishing. This is the first real workout for it since putting in the Amsoil synthetic. The transmission does seem to be running quieter and smoother. I had it running for about 1.5hrs and did a lot of backing up hills and back dragging to level the trail etc. It usually is much noisier after it gets hot but today it was noticeably better. I assume that is because it is running a bit cooler.

#11 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Brokenbudget,
How do you gauge the tractor is running hotter? IR thermometer? Temp guage? I have had great luck with a dipstick temp gauge in my Harley. Runs a good 30 deg cooler. Figure if it's good for an air cooled motorcycle, it has to be good for the rest of my engines. Around here we have several weeks of temps in the 100's during the summer. Also good for winter start ups. Always thinner than traditional oil.

#12 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 11:35 AM

Brokenbudget,
How do you gauge the tractor is running hotter? IR thermometer? Temp guage? I have had great luck with a dipstick temp gauge in my Harley. Runs a good 30 deg cooler. Figure if it's good for an air cooled motorcycle, it has to be good for the rest of my engines. Around here we have several weeks of temps in the 100's during the summer. Also good for winter start ups. Always thinner than traditional oil.

for the tranny, just the touch test. i found it to be good guage.:smile1: as for the engine, you can tell by the cooling air coming out of the shroud. it's a good bit hotter, enough to know i'm not imagining it. the bigger problem i find though is the noise. synthetic just isn't thick enough to quiet down some older engines imo. and noise means wear to me. the heat, so long as it isn't excessive, isn't really hurting anything. i really don't like the extra noise.:smile1:

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 11:42 AM

Considering it on the 120 but not the 110 which uses its fair share of oil but runs too well to mess with. The 120 is right on after 10 hours of mowing. I think it will give it a try for this winter as I prep it for the model 49 snowblower that is lurking in the corner of the garage.

#14 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:56 PM

You might consider a thicker synthetic if you are still interested. The properties are so much better when working with them.

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:56 AM

You might consider a thicker synthetic if you are still interested. The properties are so much better when working with them.

Good suggestion on the 110. Just hard to justify the additional expense for a tractor that has moved from "worker" to "back-up" since the arrival of the 120. I did some digging last night and reread the "Killer Kohler" k301 article linked below. I will try Synth for the 120 this winter. Gotta get me an hour meter on it yesterday. http://www.kirkengin...LER Part II.doc
  • lowrider said thank you