tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Have you ever had one of those moments when right after you did something, you said to yourself… what in the world was I thinking? I had one yesterday evening. I lost an apple tree in the storm this past weekend; it was up rooted by the high winds. I cut up the tree and dragged the branches to my brush pile with my MF-12.

Next was the stump, I got out my new (to me) Bush Hog with the loader. I was able to lift the stump, but just barely because I did not have enough counter weight. I tried to drive the stump to my brush pile, but I could not get enough traction because the rear tires were barely touching the ground. I was able to talk my wife into sitting on the fender and with the extra few pounds I was able to move the stump to the driveway. When I got to the end of the driveway my wife said that she had to go.:wave:

The rest of the trek was down hill to the woods, so I figured, this will be no problem. I started down the hill, the tractor started picking up speed, I started to move the hydro back, but it did not slow down, I put the hydro in full reverse and it still did not slow down. Then I started to look for a good place to stuff it without hitting a tree in the woods. The bucket bounced off of the ground a few times slowing me down and as the hill started to level off the tractor started to slow. Just before the woods it stopped. At that point I finally realized the reason I raced down the hill had nothing to do with the hydro, it had to do with traction, and I looked back up the hill and saw the skid marks in the grass as the rear tire slid the whole way down. I said to myself, Boy that was stupid, what was I thinking? :confuse:

The bush hog was only able to move the stump to the edge to the woods, 100 feet shy of my brush pile. I got the MF-12 out and hooked my tow strap from the stump to the hitch. I did not really think the MF-12 would drag such a heavy stump, but the Ags dug in and churned the dirt and drug it to the pile like a puller hooked to the sled. What a beast that little 12 is…. :smile1:

Edited by tweidman, August 30, 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:19 AM

A front loader can get you hurt in a hurry, as you found out! Glad you came out unscathed! With a heavy weight, going backwards helps gravity load the rear tires a bit more. Raising a heavy weight more than a few inches off the ground can also toss the tractor on it's side when moving, or sitting still on a side tilt. Articulating tractors are even worse! Be careful! And............ what were you thinking? LOL More than likely, this scene will never play out for you again!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:23 AM

To help alleviate some of the pain from the mistake I will give you $100 for the JBI as I am sure it is now missing a seat cushion, you can keep the loader since I already have one :D

On a serious note I am glad you made it out alright. I am sure it was a scary ride, next time though always remember to just drop the main lift arms to the ground to either stop you or keep from possible rolling over. Get some weight on the rear of that thing too :D

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:28 AM

The bucket was only a couple of inches off the ground, I learned that lesson on farm tractors when I was a kid. I just wasn't thinking about the traction issue I was soon to have.....

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm glad you survived your scare unhurt. We used to have an old Michigan loader that had no brakes. Many times I used the loader bucket for a brake. Just make sure the leading edge of the bucket isn't tilted down or you might find yourself wrapped around the steering wheel. Still hurts just thinking about it. :bash:

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 11:09 AM

Glad we do not have to file an accident report! We all can chalk it up as a near miss. I have had my share of the same type of scares!

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have had my share of the same type of scares!

Too many for me!

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 02:09 PM

Be careful out there.

Attached Thumbnails

• Massey008.jpg

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Glad you made it through this. I hope you get some rear weight on that tractor soon.

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Glad nothing bad happened, it just goes to show you can never be too careful.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 07:27 PM

That was a close call! Loaders are very handy tools to have, but they do create a big hazard if not ballasted properly. Small tractors with big lift capability are an accident waiting to happen. You need to get some rear ballast for that Hog. If you have a 3pt. hitch it is pretty cheap and easy to cast a weight in concrete that attaches to the lift arms.

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Glad to hear that you are OK Todd. I'm sure that was one scary ride. We have all done things that we look back on and wonder why we did it.

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:23 PM

That was a close call! Loaders are very handy tools to have, but they do create a big hazard if not ballasted properly. Small tractors with big lift capability are an accident waiting to happen. You need to get some rear ballast for that Hog. If you have a 3pt. hitch it is pretty cheap and easy to cast a weight in concrete that attaches to the lift arms.

The loader really needs to come off the Bush Hog. The JBI is really not up to the task. Not to mention the loader was built so heavy that you almost need rear ballast just to lift the bucket.
I will build new loader arms and mount it on my 1855a and I will definitely be building a weight box for the 3pt.

#14 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would love to hear the story about that????? Wow.

http://gardentractor...-massey008-jpg/

#15 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 09:14 PM

I would love to hear the story about that????? Wow.

http://gardentractor...-massey008-jpg/

The guy was supposedly pulling an empty flatbed semi trailer when the loader dropped! ~~ grnspot