• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#16 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 06:29 PM

I didn't do anything more with the motor, just unbolted it and set it aside. Got the dash and sheet metal removed. Looks like this thing probably had a battery failure from all the crust and rust I see. Ought to clean up ok. Bushings are toast on the idler assembly, typical on these tractors. Put some Kroil Oil on a few of the worst looking bolts and nuts. Going to have some grinding to do to get the motor mounts off the frame tubes. Might just completely remove the tubes to work on them. We'll see how well the mounts are welded to the tubes. Supposed to be a little warmer in a couple of days, I think a good soak with degreaser and a pressure wash would be a good idea before doing much more.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_071423.JPG
  • IMG_071524.JPG

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#17 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 08:42 PM

I didn't find a grease fitting on the front axle to lube the pivot pin. My 1054 didn't have one either. Must be you were supposed to oil them.
  • 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#18 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 368 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted January 22, 2020 - 11:38 PM

I didn't find a grease fitting on the front axle to lube the pivot pin. My 1054 didn't have one either. Must be you were supposed to oil them.

Cheaping out on the newer ones. I replaced my 1000's front bloster with one from a G10 since my PTO bolts snapped and the axle/pivot was sloppy. No grease fitting and 3/4" front spindles instead of 7/8" ones.
  • Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#19 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 06:03 AM

I drilled and tapped the axle of the 1054 for a fitting. Might do that on this one too.
  • CraftsmanGT and logmillingman have said thanks

#20 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 06:48 PM

I had a chance today to get some pieces cut and formed to fabricate a new fender support- gas tank mount. Have to start somewhere right?  I got a Cub tank from a friend that I intend to use. The inside is very clean and no rust, I was glad to find one that basically just needs sanded and painted. This Tank is about 1" longer and about 3" wider than the existing fender support. The new support will allow the new tank to sit down in much lower than how it was set up with the smaller tank that was there. I decided to add a lip on the front edge for additional support for the fender and possibly a place to mount the hinge assembly for the seat. There is going to be some trimming and minor modification to the fender pan but its already been carved on so no big deal there.  Been poking around on the net looking at filters, mounting bases etc. I found some inline hydraulic filters that might work in place of the original one. Possibly would even fit the existing fittings. That's a maybe. Very tempting to just convert to a spin on type. I suspect the filter in place on the tractor might be the original one as it has black paint on it and the clamp that holds it, in addition to the hoses and almost everything else in the general area. I had the clamp loosened and you can see that there isn't black paint under the clamp. Maybe somebody repainted the tractor at some point? I had to use the impact wrench turned down low to rattle the 4 mounting bolts loose. I didn't want to twist them off and have the hassle of trying to get them out of the top of the transmission. Hate broken bolts!  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_072545.jpg
  • IMG_072646.JPG
  • IMG_072344.jpg
  • IMG_072747.jpg
  • IMG_072043.jpg
  • IMG_072948.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, January 23, 2020 - 06:50 PM.

• 29 Chev, logmillingman, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#21 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 06:49 PM

Not a lot new today. I did get the tractor soaked with Purple Power and then rolled outside for a pressure wash session. Didn't get it completely crud free, but much cleaner than it was. Possibly if the temperature isn't too bad tomorrow I will soak and wash it again. On a side note I had considered mounting the battery in the existing fender support off to one side or the other and using the remaining space to mount a base and filter. But the problem with that idea is that a battery would stand too tall and the seat assembly would have to be mounted high for adequate clearance. No different than with the gas tank that was there. I believe the new fender support and Cub tank will work out for having the seat mounted very close to the height of how it was when new. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_073281.JPG
  • IMG_073079.JPG
  • IMG_073180.JPG

• KennyP, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#22 kjmweld OFFLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3189 Thanks
  • 1210 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 07:11 PM

That actually cleaned up pretty nice. What's the plans with it, quick rattle can paint now, then maybe take a little more time on the tins?
  • Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#23 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 09:40 PM

Probably just rattle can the frame, etc. and like you mention, take the time to finish the tin work and use the spraygun for a decent finish. I've tried to get a good finish on a hood with rattle cans and it's quite a challenge to get right. That will be a ways off as I still don't know exactly what motor will be used. I would like to have a v-twin 16-18 hp.
  • KennyP, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#24 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 02:16 PM

In between a lot of other non-tractor related activities today I got a bit more done. I was able to grind and hacksaw enough on the front motor mounts to be able to gain access to the heads of the rear bolts holding the axle support to the frame. The mounts  were welded right over top of the bolts and no way to get a wrench or socket on them. I want to get the axle and support out of the way so I can make the attack on the welds holding those tubing motor mounts easier. I suspect I will remove the frame tubes so I can get them cleaned, welded and ground where necessary, etc. Would be nice if I didn't have to tear into this thing so much, but I really don't see how I can avoid it. I also did some on the new fender-tank support. Determined that I could fudge the support ahead about 1/2" and still line up with the fender pan where it will bolt together. The new support assembly will be about 1/8" taller than the original but that's no big deal. Not sure if my measurements were a wee off or the guy who cut out and formed the pieces was off a wee. Not a problem. I used the original support for a template to drill the mounting holes in the new piece. The cub tank will sit just below the surface of the fender pan. Still need to brainstorm what to use-build for hold down straps. Nothing is welded together yet just stuck together for a picture. There will be plenty of clearance for tire chains. I loosened the fittings on the hydraulic filter and rolled it ahead about 1/4 turn just to keep it out of the way. I found reddish orange paint on it. There is some lettering and numbers sort of showing under the black paint. I am going to attempt to clean it off and take it to a couple of our local auto parts stores and see if possibly they can match it up with something. If no luck on that I have seen a few inline filters on eBay that might be a reasonable replacement. I also believe a spin on filter and base could be mounted with the filter running vertical. No decision on that just yet. Next session will be removing more parts, pieces and hopefully getting the tubing pieces ground off the frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_073385.jpg
  • IMG_073486.JPG
  • IMG_073688.JPG
  • IMG_073789.JPG
  • IMG_073890.JPG
  • IMG_073991.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#25 kjmweld OFFLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3189 Thanks
  • 1210 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 03:07 PM

Coming along nicely Dave. Might find an area under that box to hang a screw on filter housing so it would be easily accessible & protected from getting damaged at the same time. Maybe you wouldn't even have to jack it up & climb under it to service it 🤔
  • Dave in NY said thank you

#26 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 05:46 PM

Coming along nicely Dave. Might find an area under that box to hang a screw on filter housing so it would be easily accessible & protected from getting damaged at the same time. Maybe you wouldn't even have to jack it up & climb under it to service it

Good idea, I'll take a look at that possibility.

#27 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 06:32 PM

I ended up with a couple more hours to tinker today so back out to the garage I went. I sat looking at it for a few minutes and finally talked myself into tearing more of it apart. I really don't know of any other way to get it cleaned up and inspected without doing it this way. So the tools came out and the pile of parts got bigger. I removed the hydraulic cylinder, control valve and hoses all in one assembly. Capped the fitting on the pump and the hard line with plastic cap-plugs to keep bad stuff out. I need to take a couple of pictures and make up a diagram of where the hoses connect before I take it apart. I'm a first timer on this setup and don't want to mix anything up. Seriously, there's only 4 hoses, how hard can that be, right? I used the impact wrench on a lot of the bolts, nuts. Removed the tunnel support and pedals, cross shaft and steering gear assembly and drive shaft all in one piece. I did remove the support plate and driveshaft with pulley after it all was out on the floor. I've got all the rest soaking with Kroil Oil and will tackle the disassembly of that another day. I suspect it will need new bushings. The idler, pto idler shaft assembly for sure needs new bushings. I don't see any signs of any at all in the idler yoke for the transmission drive. The rod end that fits the hydro control lever is rather loose too. Other than more crud and rust to clean up I didn't find anything too terrible. So that's my progress for today. Now I can easily remove the frame tubes to get the weld ground off and get them cleaned up and painted. I will make sure the reinforcement plates are in place up front too.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0741100.JPG
  • IMG_0742102.JPG
  • IMG_0740101.JPG
  • IMG_074399.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, January 25, 2020 - 09:06 PM.

• KennyP, 29 Chev, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#28 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19345 Thanks
  • 6559 posts

Posted January 26, 2020 - 07:59 AM

Like most projects the parts and pieces piles grow as the tractor comes apart but the results will be well worth it.  Approximately 50 years of use was bound to result in a few parts getting worn and modified.  She is definitley in good loving hands now - look forward to following your work and progess as she rises once more into a useful productive machine.

• KennyP and Dave in NY have said thanks

#29 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 26, 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I'm not sure of how it will end up cosmetically, but mechanically I don't foresee any problems. The most important fact is that even though there has been some cutting and welding done it's still a fairly solid tractor. At least it was saved from the shredder by someone even if it did get modified a bit. That actually works out better for me as I don't have to feel bad about altering an original tractor.
  • KennyP, 29 Chev and kjmweld have said thanks

#30 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1658 Thanks
  • 618 posts

Posted January 26, 2020 - 06:49 PM

Today I took time to clean up the mess that got created yesterday. Lots of hardware and tools piled on the workbench. Got that all cleaned up and the floor swept. Then sort of made a list in my head of things that will be needed. I decided that I will set up an electrolysis tank again and have to get some pieces for the anodes. I'll be scrounging the scrap trays at work for suitable material for that. Hopefully in the next few days I can get going on the frame tubes.
  • 29 Chev, kjmweld and AGMANN have said thanks