#16 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Somehow I'm not surprised to find true dog lovers here. I guess that the same values I respect in people (those with a willingness to do for themselves, to work with equipment and tools, and work in the garden or fields) are the same folks that treat their dogs with kindness, respect and perhaps spoiling them a bit along the way. Your my kind of people!

JN

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 05:29 PM

I want to post a pic of a little gal kind of dumped on us
Absolutely makes me sick that people will do that. I would like to take the people who do that and dump them out in the country for a couple of days with no food or water and see if their prospective on life and kindness might not change at least a little. I'm hoping that someone approached you about taking care of it. She is cute. Our neighbors had a dog that was a cross between a Border Collie and a Basset Hound. Neat dog and low slung.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Yes, I was approached about it....by my daughter. She called from a friend's who needed to find a home for it. I told her NO, only because we are "dog full" so to speak. Well, she snuck it in on us & hid it in the barn! LOL I really would like to keep it, as she, my youngest daughter (16) has never had her own dog. I may end up building a larger fenced yard for our other outside dog & let them keep each other company. I'm soft as butter when it comes to puppies, but this would definitely top me out but good. Our 2 house dogs....one was my step-daughter's, and she was supposed to take it with her when she got her own place. Didn't happen. My chihuahua came from my big mouth at my sister's Easter get together several years back. He was running around her yard, seeking attention, but afraid of the kids. He came straight to me and took to me like he always knew me. I said "wish I could take him home", then this lady sitting by my sister said "it can happen", as it was her deceased husband's dog & she & wa-wa didn't get along well. So "I" was responsible for him! lol Then our outside dog "Baby" was outright dropped on us. Ended up building her an insulated doghouse & letting her join the fray. All are spayed/neutered, as will this one be if she stays.
Sorry to stray from the thread subject.

#19 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Dont forget about us BEAR fans courage.jpg or am i singular in this respect.

Attached Thumbnails

• porridge please 2.jpg
  • BlackBear.jpg

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 09:26 PM

I think we can Bear with you for a little bit:D

#21 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 09:35 PM

I think we can Bear with you for a little bit:D

Thanks CVANS , and the penguin in the last pic got a little too cocky picnic.jpg

#22 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 08:19 AM

Mmmmm.... Roast penguin, Oh Boy!

I love roasted wild penguin, but they are difficult to cook. They are also very cagy birds. I've hunted them for years here in southwestern Michigan with no luck. I can't even begin to count the number of frosty mornings that I have sat in a blind over a covey of penguin decoys calling and calling. Once in a while I think I can hear a tom penguin reply but I am never able to call him in close. Kind of makes me wonder if I wasted the money I spent on my fancy penguin gun? To add insult to injury, last fall a love-sick tom turkey strutted out of the woods and attempted to mount one of the penguin decoys. What's that about?!!!

JN
  • ncb said thank you

#23 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Get ready Boss. In 67 days they should be migrating through your area again. Good luck!

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 08:57 AM

I managed to get a little seat time on the Kablister yesterday. Seems the fuel pump cut off is installed backwards in this configuration. It's pulled out to run and the knob is close to the shift lever in 2nd gear. Going to have to change that. It's amazing how much easier it is to start the engine when it is in the run position. :wallbanging: Might go with a larger driven pulley on the jack shaft as a little more speed would be nice. Time in the garden will be the deciding point.
Thinking about fabricating a new hood. Might be easier than trying to make this one work. One of these days I'm going to find an engine that will fit under the hood. Boy will that be nice.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 09:14 AM

The diesels are definitely larger in size then the gas engines. You are making good progress on the swap with little issues along the way which is to be expected. I will eventually find me a diesel to do a conversion with. Just gotta save up the pennies.

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 04:59 PM

After running the diesel for a while around the yard it would seem that the side to side impulses I was worried about are not going to be an issue. I actually didn't even think about it while driving the tractor. I'm starting to think that hydraulic lift on the back might be a nice option. Seeing as I have some unused keyed shaft on the jack shaft I'm thinking of installing a small hydraulic pump and cylinder to lift implements on the back. My milling machine and lathe arrive the end of the week so I might have to look into this more seriously. Then I'll have to figure out something to do for a hood. :rolleyes:

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:36 PM

Chris, you need to make a hyd. net shooter on the front to capture the penguins for Boss.
Sounds like it's coming along well, keep us posted.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Chris, you need to make a hyd. net shooter on the front to capture the penguins for Boss.
Sounds like it's coming along well, keep us posted.

The net shooter would best be pneumatic, so an on board air compressor would be the trick! Wait just a second....just what is an "air compressor"?:bigrofl:

#29 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 09:32 PM

OK you guys, how about a hydraulic driven air compressor. That way I could have my lift also. Have a 1928 2 cylinder compressor that would look just fine in front of that Lister. I'm thinking the Hood would be real ugly though. Hope penguins eat spiders or bugs because we have a bunch of both up here. Even the Bears don't like it around here after dark. Come to think of it I've never seen a Bear on the plains.

#30 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 11:08 AM

you need to make a hyd. net shooter on the front to capture the penguins for Boss

Is netting penguins legal in your state? That would be great if you can bag one before Thanksgiving! My wife usually has to settle for roasting a turkey (certainly good but not the same).

I planted a food plot last spring for the penguins at the back of our property, but antarctic grasses take a long time to grow as anyone that has been to the South Pole will tell you.

JN
  • Cvans said thank you