#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:35 PM

This has to be one of the strangest conversions. I can't hardly believe I'm doing it.:say_what:
Anyway I wanted to put the Lister in front of another manual transmission and this was the only one on hand. That and the Kubota engine was missing parts. The output shaft on the engine rotates the wrong way so I had to turn the engine around and install a jack shaft. The #50 chain connects the jack shaft to the transmission shaft. My supplier was out of the bearings I needed so I made some wooden inserts to keep the shaft centered until they arrive tomorrow.
Posted Image

I'm using a B belt to connect the engine to the jack shaft. If someday down the road I or someone else want to use the mower deck they can power it from the jack shaft.
Posted Image

This photo shows the belt arrangement. I'm using an A belt to get proper alignment. I didn't have the a B belt on hand
Posted Image

In this photo the belt tensioner has been fabricated and installed.
Posted Image

Here you can get some idea of the size of these air cooled engines.
Posted Image

And finally my on site technical support department. Also eager to give moral support when needed. So this is what I was able to get accomplished today.
Posted Image

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:59 PM

Looking good Chris. Hey, what model Kubota is that you are using? I forget what it was without locating the old thread.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 12:33 AM

Kubota G3200.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Chris, nice looking installation. Glad you have on hand support, both technical and moral. That can be a big plus at times.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 05:56 AM

That is looking good Chris. Keep us posted on your progress.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:12 AM

I've never been fond of chain drive for such things, but I figure the shafts are too close for belt? A pair of A belts could handle more than the single B could send their way. But then the chain won't likely require a tensioner system either.
I wouldn't call the project strange at all myself. Looks like you could move the alternator to the opposite side & have it tucked in closer?

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure where the alternator is going to end up. If I move it to the other side is will be in the hot discharge air coming from the engine. A baffle might work if it comes to that. I need to leave it on there as I use this for standby power during an outage. I suspect that this is not going to be a thing of beauty when it's done. More like the Wheel Horse, more for function than anything else. I'm really interested to see how much side to side shaking I get now that the crankshaft is parallel to the frame rails.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm really interested to see how much side to side shaking I get now that the crankshaft is parallel to the frame rails.

Stroky as it is, maybe wheelie bars off each side? :D

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 12:06 PM

"Stroky as it is, maybe wheelie bars off each side? :D"

LOL. Boy I hope not!

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 01:38 PM

Back when I did motorcycle/ATV repair on the side, I worked on a couple BMW bikes. They had large flywheels, and when I first sat on one when running & gave it some throttle, it gave me a weird feeling from the way it felt it was gonna roll right over on it's side. Took some getting used to. My GoldWing I used to have didn't do that at all, but then it's flywheel was much much smaller diameter & lighter.

#11 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Cvans,

It looks like you have a lot of good help there. I asked my buddy to come up to the barn and help on projects.

Posted Image

He came, he looked.....

Posted Image

And here was his response.

Posted Image

Not much help there! :deadhorse:

JN

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:28 PM

tractorholic that is a nice looking dog. Is it a Greyhound or Whippet? It's hard to judge from the photo's but looks too big for a Whippet. If he were a female in the inverted photo it would look very much like my Jack Russell. Got to love short coated dogs for house dogs. There is something about coming home to a happy dog! When we had to put our last dog to sleep the whole yard just seemed empty. Now there is always a friend around that is happy to see us.

#13 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Chris,

You are correct about Scout (the greyhound pictured above) being too big to be a whippet. In fact Scout is the largest greyhound I have ever known - he is 110 lbs of solid dog! Most greyhounds range from 50 lbs small females to big 85 lb males. Scouts papers indicate that he was born in Ireland and brought to the US to race at a track near Lake Geneva, WI. The track went out of business about five years ago and we drove up there and adopted him. I should point out that I have owned and/or fostered retired greyhounds for many years.

I agree about the happy dog comment. Scout comes to the office with me every day (that is his bed next to my desk that he is laying in with his Mr. Moose). At home he has 40 acres with trails to roam and play around so he is very content with retirement.

I know exactly how difficult it is to lose a canine friend. Our greyhound prior to Scout was named Bolt. Bolt lived to be eighteen years old and was called by many the greyhound ambassador since he was often on TV and in the local papers promoting greyhound adoption activities and I used to take him to visit patients in retirement homes. When Bolt passed on my wife took it so hard she swore we would never get another greyhound. Then about a year later I read about the track closing and leaving 800 greyhounds without homes. I suggested that we should at least go look at the dogs available for adoption and you can guess the rest!

JN

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for a very good story. You sound like us, real K-9 people. The Black dog is Misty and she is 10 years old and still going strong. She is English Springer and they are known as the velcro dogs as they won't leave their owners. My Wife found her at the pound. Sugar, the white dog is a Jack Russell and is 4 years old. She came from one of my Son's litters. Not a day goes by that she hasn't got the wife and I laughing with her antics. They are complete opposites and strongly attached to us and each other. A good dog is good is a great friend.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Being you are talking about dogs, I want to post a pic of a little gal kind of dumped on us. With 3 dogs already, we really have no room for another, so I don't know what we'll do with her. Cute as a button & has short little legs. Hoping we can find a good home for her. I just love puppies!
DSC00581.jpg