from golfcart tires to ribbed tires

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:46 PM

those grinders can kick sometimes too. i had one grab onto the edge of a plow once and it kicked and damn near broke my wrist. the knife seems to be working well since its not cutting into solid rubber but just cutting chunks out of the tread of the tire.

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:58 PM

oh yeh, they can kick, with a notted wire wheel on a 4 inch grinder and it catches your shirt at 3800 rpms will do some damage,
don't you just love those grinders, hook them up to a little cart and drag race them till it pulls out the cord,:bigrofl::beerchug:
oh ! a little :offtopic:, sorry about that,

#18 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 29, 2011 - 10:09 PM

one time i was using a rapid strip wheel and it kicked and ran off flying across the yard, it had 100 feet of extension cord, the dog out ran it., only a pure bred herding dog could out run the grinder the way it flew but back on topic =). yeah grinder on tires sounds painful.

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,421 Thanks
  • 2,783 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Well dont use a regular grind stone, they make a very thin cutoff wheel for them that would slice right in. I think its only an 1/8" wide. I cut the top foot off a gravity wagon here last fall with one, using the thin wheel. Never kicked at all. I think it took about 8 wheels to get all the way around, but it was perfectly cut and smoother than the plasma cutter would do.

#20 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:16 PM

true lauber, but rubber is a bit different then steel.

#21 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 04:29 PM

A better option I think would be do what this guy did but with a motorcycle chain or just one that is larger. Deflate the tire slip it on and pump it up. If you do it tight enough I've heard they won't come off. They work good in the snow or ice as well from what people say. I have yet to try it.
They will probably mark up pavement some though.

Posted Image

#22 Guest_jdecker94_*

• Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 27, 2011 - 04:46 PM

another good idea but i need something that wont destroy my lawn, i finished the first tire and havent started the 2nd, ill do it one day

#23 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 24, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Just saw this post while searching "ribbed tires". How about using a router with 1/4 or 3/8" straight bit? Easier to control depth and much safer unless you are allergic to bits of rubber in the air.